Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken Breast €5.90 per kg - Bombay Bazar, Artane

• 09-10-2013 7:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads and lassies,

Was doing a bit of shopping today and popped into the Bombay Bazar (Asian store) in Butterly Business Park to buy some chickpeas and a few other bits and bobs and while there, I noticed they sold fresh meat (I'd never been in there before).
    They have Chicken, Lamb and Beef of various cuts and some fresh fish as well.
    Anyway I asked about the price of the chicken breast and got a pleasant surprise when the guy behind the country told me it was only €5.90 per kg, I said "Thanks I'll definitely be back for some of that" and checked out with my few bits. He even said as I was leaving "we could do you a deal for 1kg if you like" but I'd literally just 15 minutes before bought chicken in the Dublin Meat Co around the corner, and for a lot more.

Long story short:

Bombay Bazar, Butterly Business Park Artane (Behing Maxol across from the castle SC), chicken breast for €5.90 per KG, and possibly even a little discount if you buy in bulk!

It's the cheapest I've seen in Dublin, by a long way, breasts looked to be 120-150g so you're looking at about 8 breasts for your €5.90.

It's around the side of LIDL, so if you're in the car park facing LIDL it's on the left hand side facing the wall.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Obviously only really applies to those of us lucky enough to live on De Nort Soide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Seaneh wrote: »
    Obviously only really applies to those of us lucky enough to live on De Nort Soide.

Yeah, "lucky" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Brannigans in rosemount ind est blanchardstown have 5kg for €30 and 1kg of chicken goujons for €8.50.
    Loads of other great deals on meats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But they don't sound Irish. They could be ****ty Thai chicken ones shipped half way around the world. You are better spending a little more and getting the Irish ones. I don't believe in the whole buy Irish BS( a lot of "Irish "food is made by foreign owned companies). But I wouldn't buy cheap dodgy meat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I would say that they are halal breasts which means they are coming from Cappoquin chickens in Waterford. They supply most of the east coast halal stores

irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

hfallada wrote: »
    But they don't sound Irish. They could be ****ty Thai chicken ones shipped half way around the world AND PUMPED TO THE BRIM WITH WATER. You are better spending a little more and getting the Irish ones. I don't believe in the whole buy Irish BS( a lot of "Irish "food is made by foreign owned companies). But I wouldn't buy cheap dodgy meat

FYP;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I would say that they are halal breasts which means they are coming from Cappoquin chickens in Waterford. They supply most of the east coast halal stores

irish

Why would you think that?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why would you think that?

Because it's a shop that sells Halal meat, hence no pork.

All of their meat is Irish.

hfallada wrote: »
    But they don't sound Irish. They could be ****ty Thai chicken ones shipped half way around the world. You are better spending a little more and getting the Irish ones. I don't believe in the whole buy Irish BS( a lot of "Irish "food is made by foreign owned companies). But I wouldn't buy cheap dodgy meat

They (the owners) aren't Irish, but their meat is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

At that price I wouldn't say they're Irish chicken

• Advertisement

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Brannigans in rosemount ind est blanchardstown have 5kg for €30 and 1kg of chicken goujons for €8.50.
    Loads of other great deals on meats

So Brannigans have meat for €0.10 more per kg and you have to buy 5kg, that's a decent deal, but I don't know when I'm ever going to be in the market for 5kg.

Bombay Bazar offers the ability to buy one breast (120-150g) @ €5.90 per kg which works out at about €0.75 per breast.

This forum is a joke at times, people post a genuine bargain that could potentially save a lot of people a lot of money and a handful of people start the usual "but sure it's probably ****e" stuff without knowing a thing about the product.

The last paragraph wasn't having a go @Umpalumpa by the way, the offer they posted is a great deal, and I'd imagine Brannigan's are offering not too much more for lesser quantities. The little rant I just had was aimed at the "Doesn't sound Irish, it's probably from thailand and full of crap" brigade.

Scottie99 wrote: »

Why?
    Why don't you go and find out?

I phoned them literally this second and spoke to the guy who runs the meat counter, all their meat is Irish and comes from halal suppliers in Ireland.

Why?
    Why don't you go and find out?

What to do is freeze them then defrost, see how much water comes out.
    Why? It's been said if your paying a € per breast your not buying Irish.

It's been said if your paying a € per breast your not buying Irish.

Well that's just wrong, as I've been paying circa €7 per kg regularly in Galway for the last 5 years from The Meat Market in Terryland and an Asian store in Westside, both using Irish meat. They both regularly had offers where they sold it for €6perkg as well, so €5.90 isn't exactly that unimaginable. Whole Irish chickens are often sold for less than €3perkg.

Irish chicken is cheap to produce, it's not great quality compared to Free-range, but not everyone can afford free-range.
    For some people, the only thing they can afford is intensively reared or processed, I'd rather eat the intensive stuff than mystery meat in breadcrumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

"It's shocking that we're only getting 38c for our chickens which are retailing for well over €5" - See more at: http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Poultry-farmers-protest-over-prices--17074.html#sthash.hm6z46L2.dpuf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

paddyp wrote: »
    "It's shocking that we're only getting 38c for our chickens which are retailing for well over €5" - See more at: http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Poultry-farmers-protest-over-prices--17074.html#sthash.hm6z46L2.dpuf
    we are only getting a mere €1.16 for a dozen eggs which are retailing for €4.30.

I'm not a huge egg fan, but where are a dozen eggs €4.30? You'd nearly get a dozen easter eggs for that price :)

I'm not a huge egg fan, but where are a dozen eggs €4.30? You'd nearly get a dozen easter eggs for that price :)

I'd imagine they are free-range or Organic at that price, or just in some mental shop where people will pay over the odds.

I think the problem is the labelling. People think they're buying Irish but in reality it's come in from outside and packaged as Irish.
    I don't know for a fact where your breasts have come from but pricing does give us an idea.

I think the problem is the labelling. People think they're buying Irish but in reality it's come in from outside and packaged as Irish.
    I don't know for a fact where your breasts have come from but pricing does give us an idea.

I'm a former Chef, when I ask where something comes from, I ask "what is the country of Origin".
    I asked a direct question to the guy in the meat counter, he told me, plainly, "it's Irish chicken from an Irish Halal supplier".

To be certified Halal in Ireland it has to have been slaughtered in a Halal certified facility in Ireland.
    So the odds of Halal certified chicken from an Irish supplier being from outside of Ireland are slim.

The price is not all that strange for Irish chicken, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

and 4 eggs is equal to a chicken :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

thats a good deal, a lot of places have a 10 fillets for 10 euro special.
    How long is lidl in artane? ive never noticed it, but i havnt been up that way since the market first opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Hey lads and lassies,

Was doing a bit of shopping today and popped into the Bombay Bazar (Asian store) in Butterly Business Park to buy some chickpeas and a few other bits and bobs and while there, I noticed they sold fresh meat (I'd never been in there before).
    Anyway I asked about the price of the chicken breast and got a pleasant surprise when the guy behind the country told me it was only €5.90 per kg, I said "Thanks I'll definitely be back for some of that" and checked out with my few bits. He even said as I was leaving "we could do you a deal for 1kg if you like" but I'd literally just 15 minutes before bought chicken in the Dublin Meat Co around the corner, and for a lot more.

Long story short:

Bombay Bazar, Butterly Business Park Artane (Behing Maxol across from the castle SC), chicken breast for €5.90 per KG, and possibly even a little discount if you buy in bulk!

It's the cheapest I've seen in Dublin, by a long way, breasts looked to be 120-150g so you're looking at about 8 breasts for your €5.90.

It's around the side of LIDL, so if you're in the car park facing LIDL it's on the left hand side facing the wall.

Cheers for the alert, will be def heading up malahide rd quite often :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Don't happen to know their opening hours do you?

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    thats a good deal, a lot of places have a 10 fillets for 10 euro special.
    How long is lidl in artane? ive never noticed it, but i havnt been up that way since the market first opened

No idea to be honest, building looks new enough, I've only been here since the 9th of Spetember.

maximoose wrote: »
    Don't happen to know their opening hours do you?

I don't, sorry.
    I'd imagine it's the usual 9-6 though, but don't quote me on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"we could do you a deal for 1kg if you like".
    When I saw this I was wondering if he had meant 5.90 per pound, but you seem pretty certain. Just seems strange that they would do an even better price on just 1 kilo, which is not an awful lot. Most chicken fillet deals start at 10 fillets.

rubadub wrote: »
    When I saw this I was wondering if he had meant 5.90 per pound, but you seem pretty certain. Just seems strange that they would do an even better price on just 1 kilo, which is not an awful lot. Most chicken fillet deals start at 10 fillets.

They are sitting in an open container which has, I'd guess, 5kg in it.

The price was per kg, the standard price was €5.90, he was willing to haggle on that if I was looking to take a kg there and then.

Like, €5.90 per lb = €12.98 per kg, which would be rather expensive for chicken breast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Like, €5.90 per lb = €12.98 per kg, which would be rather expensive for chicken breast.

Tesco value chicken breast is €12 per kilo. Down to 10.31 per kilo for the bigger packs. Superquinn show €4 for 400g which is a special offer down from €6 (15/kg)

I would have guessed halal stuff would cost more too. I am wondering how much lower he would/could have gone on that 1kg deal.

• Advertisement

Tesco value chicken breast is €12 per kilo. Down to 10.31 per kilo for the bigger packs. Superquinn show €4 for 400g which is a special offer down from €6 (15/kg)

I would have guessed halal stuff would cost more too.

Tesco and Superquin charge €12ish per kg when you buy like 250g at a time.
    Even if you only buy 575g in tesco the price drops to €10.31 p/kg.

€13 for a kilogram of intensively farmed chicken would be expensive.

I've been buying Chicken from two suppliers in Galway (the meat market and the Mediterranean food store) at in and around this price for the last 5 years (one Halal, one not) and they both used Irish suppliers.

€6-ish per kg isn't outside the realms of possibility, at all, just means their margin is low.

As pointed out earlier, a place in Blanch offers a near identical price, you just have to buy more at once.

It's €5.90 per Kilo, we talked about it, I asked him how big they were, he said between 120 and 150, usually on the lower end of that, I even said "oh, so about 8 breasts" and he said "Yes, more or less".
    All the prices on their board were in kg's.

I was even surprised. When I saw the counter and asked I was expecting him to say in and around 7-8 per kg as that's what I've seen halal chicken sold at in more than once market.

Anyway, it's €5.90 per kg.
    It's at the side of LIDL in Artane, it's Irish Halal chicken.

Do with that info whatever you wish, but I'll be buying meat there next week when I need to top up.

I am wondering how much lower he would/could have gone on that 1kg deal.

No clue, I'll find out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I only pay €7.50 for 2 chicken breasts. Not a penny less!

I only pay €7.50 for 2 chicken breasts. Not a penny less!

I thought it was 3 breasts?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's not so much if the chicken is Irish or who is selling it.

It is the STORAGE. I find chicken in supermarkets to be dodgy because it is sitting around in not so cool conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Your man is having you on...

Firstly Cappoquin Chicken are out of business for the past 4-6 weeks, there plant was asset stripped already(Farmers Journal last week).

NOW, do the maths... to get 2 x 120-150g fillets you would need to start with a 1100g chicken MINIMUM ... at wholesale price thats 2.60 whole or 2.00 for the double breast(minus legs).

At 12cent for the wing. it costing 88cent for the fillet before you have even started to add cost of labour, overhead, PROFIT etc

When you are in the there next time ask to see a full tube and check the plant no. i.e. NL 524 EC , DE 155 EC, IRL 2443 EC ...
    Never go by the product name as this can be completely misleading.

EXAMPLE:
    Slí Eile brand = NL *** EC - Dutch clearing house for Eastern European /Brazilian/ Thai Chicken
    THIS IS A REAL PRODUCT FOR SALE IN A NUMBER OF CRAFT BUTCHERS & MEAT COMPANYS

THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hey lads and lassies,

Long story short:

Thanks for the info. I will take a look. By the way, does anyone know if the shop of the same name in Dublin 15 does the same stuff?

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379240422133760

Cheers,

DC

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Your man is having you on...

Firstly Cappoquin Chicken are out of business for the past 4-6 weeks, there plant was asset stripped already(Farmers Journal last week).

NOW, do the maths... to get 2 x 120-150g fillets you would need to start with a 1100g chicken MINIMUM ... at wholesale price thats 2.60 whole or 2.00 for the double breast(minus legs).

At 12cent for the wing. it costing 88cent for the fillet before you have even started to add cost of labour, overhead, PROFIT etc

When you are in the there next time ask to see a full tube and check the plant no. i.e. NL 524 EC , DE 155 EC, IRL 2443 EC ...
    Never go by the product name as this can be completely misleading.

EXAMPLE:
    Slí Eile brand = NL *** EC - Dutch clearing house for Eastern European /Brazilian/ Thai Chicken
    THIS IS A REAL PRODUCT FOR SALE IN A NUMBER OF CRAFT BUTCHERS & MEAT COMPANYS

THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES...

That is an excellent post, one thing though. Is there a difference in the chickens from abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

That is an excellent post, one thing though. Is there a difference in the chickens from abroad?

They cluck differently..

dcGT wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I will take a look. By the way, does anyone know if the shop of the same name in Dublin 15 does the same stuff?

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379240422133760

Cheers,

DC

Phone number is on the page there, give them a bell and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I only import the finest Breese chicken. You would be better buying Tofu at that price.

• Advertisement

I often get chicken at local halal place as its cheaper so I went in tonight and asked them. It is from Holland this week and Turkey next week. I thought it was irish all along myself to be honest...

What is a fair price to pay for a kilo of irish chicken breast?

I often get chicken at local halal place as its cheaper so I went in tonight and asked them. It is from Holland this week and Turkey next week. I thought it was irish all along myself to be honest...

What is a fair price to pay for a kilo of irish chicken breast?

Between 10 and 12euro per kilo is the retail price for fresh irish chicken fillets. Wholesale bulk price would be 20 to 30% less.

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Between 10 and 12euro per kilo is the retail price for fresh irish chicken fillets. Wholesale bulk price would be 20 to 30% less.

In your opinion, is there a big gap in quality between the Dutch/ Turkish stuff compared to Irish chicken?

In your opinion, is there a big gap in quality between the Dutch/ Turkish stuff compared to Irish chicken?

Huge ... I go to a butcher in douglas, cork who bones 100% of his chicken in shop. The fillets are large at about 180g each and cost 2.20 to 2.50 a piece. They are superb, with a real chicken flavour and always retain their juiciness when cooked.

The dutch/ german/turkish processing plants are using frozen imports and eastern Europe's seconds to form a water filled gas flushed product. Its tastless, leeches white foam (stabilisers) & water when cooked. Above all its distorting peoples value of what chicken should cost.

It simply isn't possible to create chicken fillets for under a euro each & damn anyone who thinks it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Most of the chicken fillets sold here and in the UK come in from Holland and Belgium in gas flushed 5kg trays and the calibrated breast size varies - ones I get are 250g each or so.

Best prices I have seen on 5kg trays - good ones is about £18 and it fluctuates from that to £21 - the meat co's pay about £15.50-16.50 per tray from what I know.

€30 is a fair price as you can see less than that the margins are very small.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Most of the chicken fillets sold here and in the UK come in from Holland and Belgium in gas flushed 5kg trays and the calibrated breast size varies - ones I get are 250g each or so.

Best prices I have seen on 5kg trays - good ones is about £18 and it fluctuates from that to £21 - the meat co's pay about £15.50-16.50 per tray from what I know.

€30 is a fair price as you can see less than that the margins are very small.

What is that gas flushed remark to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

What is that gas flushed remark to mean?

Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) used to extend shelf life by inhibiting spoilage:
    "What seems to be a fresh chicken on a butcher’s counter could in fact be a gas-flushed preserved chicken. Ned explained to me that some chickens from Eastern Europe are sent to Holland, where they are filleted and put into gas-flushed containers to preserve them. These fillets degrade a lot quicker than fresh chicken. "If the consumer knew the difference between the fresh fillets and preserved fillets, they wouldn’t buy them. Once that stuff is gas-flushed and packaged, it’s supposed to be sent to a place where it is used immediately. But many consumers freeze the fillets, and they are not supposed to do that.’’

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Cappoquin-Chickens-fighting-back-9288.html#sthash.ZcusTYMr.dpuf

(A bit sad given Cappoquin's recent demise.)

Advertisement