Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonic in Blackrock being sold to Witherspoons

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:26pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/british-pub-chain-wetherspoon-set-to-acquire-dublin-bar-1.1511162

This is an interesting one. I used to go to Tonic & Suite 54 all the time for years as did a huge group of people I knew. Used to be packed all the time. The guys that ran it were great - but after they left it went totally downhill. I've been in 3 times in the last year and on a friday/saturday night at 10pm and its almost completely empty. Shame. Anyway hopefully Witherspoons will do something good with it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

It's a pity that The Dark Horse isn't located on Blackrock's main street. There's a couple of horror pubs down that way (they aren't O'Donohues or O'Rourkes so that's a pretty easy hint).;) It seems to be quite lively on Fridays and Saturdays and is catering to a different type of market which is good for the area, just a pity its up a little from the village.

The biggest issue with Blackrock for me is the strech of shops up from what is now a vacant premises on the corner opposite Cafe Java, a couple of fast food places, a chemist, one of those pubs I wouldn't frequent upto Bank of Ireland. If Blacrock could sort that little strip out it would be great. BOI's building is a tale of two halves with the nice old part and the horror modern bit.

The Mellow Fig is a nice place and that new coffee place which opened where the O2 shop was is supposed to be quite nice. Blackrock Market seems to be ticking alone better than most. Say what you want about Starbucks but it opened up a great view of the bay and lovely exterior is maintained. All in all Blackrock isn't doing too badly atm.

What impact Witherspoons have will be interesting. As far as places go from what I can see in the UK they aren't too bad. I wouldn't go to a place like that regularly but if they can force a rethink of some of the poorer kept pubs in the village it will be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Witherspoon

reese_witherspoon_just_like_heaven.jpg

Wetherspoon's

Wetherspoons-002.jpg

The quality of Wetherspoons in the UK very greatly, depending on the area and clientele, but they are a bit too formulaic for me. 'Pub in a box'. They do decent offers though and a food menu might shake up the local competition a bit. One is also planned for Dun Laoghaire in the old 40 foot bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd agree. A bit like the McDonalds of Pubs. You'll go sometimes because you can expect what your gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'd agree. A bit like the McDonalds of Pubs. You'll go sometimes because you can expect what your gonna get.

I'd rather them then a couple of the pubs down there as is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Zascar wrote: »

Why does it seem cheap? sounds about on the money tbh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah I just assumed it would have been more but I'm far from an expert! Just imagine the money you could pull in if you had the place packed! ROI in no time

The only reason they are doing a blitz of Ireland is that premises are changing hands for up to 80% less than at peak, they might as well try and crack it as one of few with the capital to it, if it doesnt work out then its not a massive fail in the context of the scale of their UK operation. Regardless of the recession, Im surprised a prime site like the Blackrock place didnt do better than 1.5m, but then we dont know what other debts they might be taking on with it

True. The place was dead as a doornail for at least the past year. Totally empty on a saturday night. Amazing how things can change so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Surprised the locals are allowing this!! Won't bring anything decent to the area, and will run local pubs into the ground trying to compete!

• Advertisement

Good point, but what exactly are they going to do???

I feel sorry for the guy that owns the Melting Pot - used to be Sheehans across the road - really nice guy - I bet he'll be hugely affected

What would they do? Block the purchase via petition would have been a start? Now they can just vote with their wallets.

Although, if the LVA and local publicans do some local publicity to illustrate the issues that are going to be raised, it might make people avoid the copy and paste pub!

Whatever about objecting to the zoning of a commercial street or premises, the notion of trying to block the private third party sale of a unit for the same business use is somewhere between fanciful and fascist. Its still a free country/europe, the market will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm a Local and can't wait, a bit of competition instead of a Cartel can't be a bad thing

21/25

Is there a chance they will make it an extremely nice and upmarket Witherspoons? Who knows they might decorate the place nicely and have good food and beer for reasonable prices. Heaven forbid.

However this is Ireland - and we know that a formula that has been massively successful for cheap food and beer cannot possibly work over here. I'd guess a huge hike on adjusted prices.

Doesn't matter. They'll be the cause of at least 2-3 pubs in the area closing... Give it two years, and come back to this thread!

uch wrote: »
    I'm a Local and can't wait, a bit of competition instead of a Cartel can't be a bad thing

I'm a local too. There's no cartel in Blackrock. There's a great mix of bars, but certainly no cartel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

brianblaze wrote: »
    I'm a local too. There's no cartel in Blackrock. There's a great mix of bars, but certainly no cartel!

Hmm.. so what pubs in Blackrock have reduced their prices to attract more customers..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lol

blackrock nosedived about 5 years ago

There is, and has been for the last 30 years in my opinion, but sure we can agree to disagree. But if nothing else it will provide a few Jobs

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Hmm.. so what pubs in Blackrock have reduced their prices to attract more customers..

Jesus name me a pub in Dublin that's lowered its prices to attract customers. It never happens

Synode wrote: »
    Jesus name me a pub in Dublin that's lowered its prices to attract customers. It never happens

Not quite true, I know of 1 in Dún Laoghaire and 2 others in South Dublin that have

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know of at least ten off the top of my head. Do you ever get out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Please share because none of the places I drink have lowered their prices. Most have increased them over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Please share because none of the places I drink have lowered their prices. Most have increased them over the last few years

Most of them are closing down for heavens sake, they really struggle to meet their costs, how the heck could they lower their prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Now they can just vote with their wallets.

People are already doing that evidently.
    Although, if the LVA and local publicans do some local publicity to illustrate the issues that are going to be raised, it might make people avoid the copy and paste pub!

Are you talking about Weatherspoons, or Irish pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I've heard The Breffni's also known as Gods Waiting Room :pac:

dd972 wrote: »
    I've heard The Breffni's also known as Gods Waiting Room :pac:

Best Pint and service in Blackrock though

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bolands, Stillorgan, 3 pints of Fosters for €11.
    Turf Bar, Stillorgan Park Hotel, just down the road, one pint of Lager €5.45.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Really I find it hard to see how Wetherspoons could be worse than Tonic, which was itself a soulless carbon copy of many similar Tiger era bars in the City Centre. Poor fare and no atmosphere, at a premium price.

One thing that I've noticed baffles visitors to Dublin is that, while they expect to pay for a premium for food and drink in the City Centre and particularly tourist areas such as Temple Bar, they're shocked that pubs and restaurants in suburban areas often charge similar prices. Something that challenges this situation isn't a bad thing imho.

Advertisement