Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thumbelinda

Ive sent them an email there so hopefully feedback will be given straight to the Institute - for what it is worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Oh I have already emailed them too

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

email sent to them too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tyrone2014

I was just wondering if any past FAE students could give me some advice in regards to the Finance/Management Accounts aspect of performance measurement.

I organised my file last night for these subjects but I'm a little confused as to what way I should approach them.

Should I work my way through the text books with the finance/management accounts case studies in them or maybe go through my CAP 2 material?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Ruginator

As someone who passed past year, One piece of advice for all those of you who are worried on the AAFRP, remember it's only one indicator, and even if you did get NC, remember that you have a huge chunk of study done for the largest subject in the FAE's and PM will come up on both the Core and SIMS paper so you will be rewarded for the effort. For those of you doing the Audit elective you will also see a huge chunk of PM backed into that exam also. Remember you can't fail the FAE on any one indicator.

Stay positive and have a good crack off the mock exam papers, for me it was one of the big learning curves last year, I'd say the fact that I sat the mock and stayed for the full time was a huge advantage to me in the real thing, I attempted indicators in areas I hadn't studied that came up, and the corrector of your mocks leaves little comments on your paper which is returned to you about your specific approach. It was massively beneficial to have had a proper go off the mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Ruginator

As someone who passed past year, One piece of advice for all those of you who are worried on the AAFRP, remember it's only one indicator, and even if you did get NC, remember that you have a huge chunk of study done for the largest subject in the FAE's and PM will come up on both the Core and SIMS paper so you will be rewarded for the effort, with plenty of opportunity to show off your hard work. For those of you doing the Audit elective you will also see a huge chunk of PM backed into that exam also. Remember you can't fail the FAE on any one indicator.

Stay positive and have a good crack off the mock exam papers, for me it was one of the big learning curves last year, I'd say the fact that I sat the mock and stayed for the full time was a huge advantage to me in the real thing, I attempted indicators in areas I hadn't studied that came up, and the corrector of your mocks leaves little comments on your paper which is returned to you about your specific approach. It was massively beneficial to have had a proper go off the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Question for those in the Dublin courses here. From looking at the timetables posted here it looks like the 'Cross Marking Sessions' are tomorrow (1st May) and next Wednesday (7th May). Have ye been given groups for this session that you will be marking with or is it done on the day? Will most people have made a good stab at it do you reckon. Won't be able to make the Galway session, and can't make next weeks session due to work, so wondering if theres any point in me going up tomorrow if I've only a skeleton answer?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Debating what the benefit of tomorrow night will be, doubt many will have attempted it

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Debating what the benefit of tomorrow night will be, doubt many will have attempted it

What are we supposed to have attempted?

I've been so involved with the AAFRP that I have no idea what else is going on!!!

• Advertisement

What is tomorrow night?

Cross Marking Workshop

Does anyone have any of the Belfast timetables? Had a look and can't see any in this thread.
    Cheers.

For all groups? Its not on my time table. Has anyone started cases yet?

For all groups? Its not on my time table. Has anyone started cases yet?

I've got nothing tomorrow night but cross marking next week.

Haven't looked at any case studies yet but if someone knows if we are supposed to do something for next week can they let me know please? I really need to get stuck in again before I get too comfortable doing nothing!

conor1979 wrote: »
    I've got nothing tomorrow night but cross marking next week.

Haven't looked at any case studies yet but if someone knows if we are supposed to do something for next week can they let me know please? I really need to get stuck in again before I get too comfortable doing nothing!

I think the idea is that you attempt the case and someone else marks it and you mark theirs. I suppose the idea is that we see alternative approaches, but based on my own attempts before the aafrp study, there wouldn't be much to mark on mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

anyone from last year got good advice on how to approach the tax elective with core?

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    I think the idea is that you attempt the case and someone else marks it and you mark theirs. I suppose the idea is that we see alternative approaches, but based on my own attempts before the aafrp study, there wouldn't be much to mark on mine!

Is it a case we get on the night or is it one we have already?

They're on the student centre section of the website. When you log on they're in the course materials if you scroll down. There's 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

I am due next week for the cross marking class - I will be preparing the 2 case studies in short detail ( more about spotting indicators etc )

I am taking this week off after that horrible AAFRP exam !

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Here's the group 2 timetable for Belfast watyasay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 RSA87

Just a quick one regarding the AFFRP. If you get NC, is the main exam basically a write off? I've been told the AAFRP only represents one indicator for PM, out of a possible 6. Initially I was under the impression if you do get NC, you may as well just enjoy your summer off as you won't get through PM in the main exam. But on speaking to few ppl who sat it last yr, they mentioned that if you perform well in PM in main exam it will offset against the sh*t grade from the AAFRP.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Have ppl heard of many ppl coming back from a NC in the AAFRP to passing overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

RSA87 wrote: »
    Just a quick one regarding the AFFRP. If you get NC, is the main exam basically a write off? I've been told the AAFRP only represents one indicator for PM, out of a possible 6. Initially I was under the impression if you do get NC, you may as well just enjoy your summer off as you won't get through PM in the main exam. But on speaking to few ppl who sat it last yr, they mentioned that if you perform well in PM in main exam it will offset against the sh*t grade from the AAFRP.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Have ppl heard of many ppl coming back from a NC in the AAFRP to passing overall?

Yeah of course ya can, sure a RC isn't even included in the final mark for PM as it's a main subject, ya just need to C & HCs for it to account. I'm repeating went in with a RC last year and came out with a green in PM failed on Bus Leasership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

If you can understand the FAE marking scheme I think you deserve to pass the whole FAE....I for one am baffled by it :confused:

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    Yeah of course ya can, sure a RC isn't even included in the final mark for PM as it's a main subject, ya just need to C & HCs for it to account. I'm repeating went in with a RC last year and came out with a green in PM failed on Bus Leasership

Just a bit unsure of the process tbh. But pretty sure I've a NC nailed on. Was just wondering is it near impossible to get through if so, as I've heard from quite a few it more or less is. At least RC would give me some confidence as I know plenty who passed over the last 2 yrs who had RC. Just haven't heard the same about ppl with NC.

Look at Sullys comment on the previous page re. marks in the AAFRP

I've given myself a RC in it anyway. Anything above will be a bonus

Took a read of sully's comment. Refreshing to know. Cheers.

Has anyone heard/know of ppl with NC in the AAFRP passing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Guys I passed the FAEs last year and the one tip I'd give anybody is to get familiar with the exam and the various components, how it's marked etc.

As previously posted you'll not become an expert or know exactly how the exam is structured, but the one thing you will do is demystify the whole FAE process.

I found last year that by familiarising myself with the exam I was a lot less stressed out and more comfortable come September.

In answer to your question, no you won't fail if you get an NC/RC in AAFRP.

You will however have to put in a good amount of work over the summer. You won't fail the FAE in May but you will in September if you're Fin Reporting is not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tyrone2014

Does anyone know where I can get myself a copy of the 2013 Core exam paper. I have looked through my student account but I can only get access to the 2012/2011/2010 papers.

Just looking through the cross marking cases, I can pick out what I think are indicators but when it comes to expanding on them I have no idea! Same with any case I have looked at so far

Oh my god, just read the requirements for tonight that we have to have the two case studies done in advance! Totally went off my radar. I am assuming there is no point in me attending?! Is anyone else attending that doesnt have the case studies done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 BlacknWhite86

Oh my god, just read the requirements for tonight that we have to have the two case studies done in advance! Totally went off my radar. I am assuming there is no point in me attending?! Is anyone else attending that doesnt have the case studies done?

I am planning on attending tonight but havent had time to look at the cases either, just printed them off at work today. I'm assuming a lot of people wont have had done much work on them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

I am planning on attending tonight but havent had time to look at the cases either, just printed them off at work today. I'm assuming a lot of people wont have had done much work on them?!

Same here

Think I will be strategically seating myself by the door!

Just looking through the cross marking cases, I can pick out what I think are indicators but when it comes to expanding on them I have no idea! Same with any case I have looked at so far

Hey there ,

I tried one of the cases ( the SIMS case ) I thought the other one is too big and I wouldn't actually be fit to study it at this moment in time.

I gave the HAM case a good read though and spotted what I think are issues etc - like other people on here I struggled as to how to expand on these topics. I feel this is where I am lacking on reading/study material. In fact when I was trying it during the week it provided me with a bit of a scare.

There is SO much to cover.

Yeah I reckon everyone is in the same boat.

Anything useful from the session?

Anything useful from the session?

No ! That's been honest. It was a case of going through the solution saying this might or might not come up. To be honest I am over lecturers predicting etc what is coming up. NO one knows , so you have to study everything.

The only way to get the most out of this session is have a real go at the case study and then ask Paul to correct it. Apart from that you missing noting.

If anything last night just enforced in my head that I have a mountain of study to get through over study leave in order to expand these indicators.

Can someone answer a question for me please

How many indicators are generally in the COMP and the SIMS ?

Thanks

Could someone post Paul Monahans e-mail address please

Look at the corporate governance and ethics lecture 3/4 in the recorded sessions he puts it up at the very start

Think its paul.monahan@ie.pwc.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

A question toward those who did the fae's last year, what way should people approach study leave:

1) how much theory should one do before starting case studies?
    2) how best to organise notes?
    3) which books are worth using, which are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

A question toward those who did the fae's last year, what way should people approach study leave:

From my experience, others may differ:

1) I did theory and compiled notes in the first month. After that I only did cases, your notes will not be complete by this stage. I continuously updated my notes as I went along. The idea is that by mid August you have a pretty comprehensive set of notes that make sense to you and, more importantly you know where to find stuff quickly.

2) I organised notes by super six grouping. As I said above at the end of the day your notes must be tailored to you. There's no one right way to go about it. Just ensure that they're comprehensive. You'll achieve this by doing as many cases as possible. I started with a good basic set from college, CAP 2, FAE lectures etc. then I updated as I came across things I hadn't seen before in cases.

3) As for the textbooks from what I remember the tax book is excellent, the HR book is good, work through the cases in the Ethics book (a few anyways) and that's about it. The rest I barely touched and gladly torched last November.

The most important thing to remember is that by mid August you should have notes that you can navigate your way around. If you can't quickly locate something in your notes they're not going to be much use to you in September.

Could someone please put up the claddagh cases for tomorrow? Have no access to them tonight :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Howdy!
    Everyone will have a different approach. This is what I did:
    1) I looked at it from a subject basis - i.e. I studied the tax book and then I did all the tax indicators from all of the case studies - there's a case study index somewhere on this forum which shows each case and the various indications within each. Afterwards I looked at finance and did all the finance indicators and so on.
    2) If you can reference the book, do summary bullet points notes, and compile the exam solutions into folders then you're not doing too bad :p
    3) Just have a quick flick through the books and reference bits and pieces that you can find easy on the day of exams! I think that it looks impressive if you can link indicators, for example, if there's an indicator on tax on a sale of a business, it would look good if you could make connections to HR issues, ethics etc (but nothing too detailed!)
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Attached is my core and audit elective cases template that I used while doing the cases (I adapted the traffic light system).

I started doing the easy cases in June like, You Look Fantastic, surfshop, talon talents, white leisure etc. I also did some basic audit elective cases as well.

I know many people did like 4-6 weeks of studying from books and then 4-6 weeks doing cases but my aim was to have the cases done by 10th August and then revise over my weak materials and cases.

I started doing some of the cases that were not given from the institute for 2012/2013 class and they took too much time so I stopped after a while.

I would recommend to delete my indicators in the template as they give away too much and start your own from scratch.

Anyway hope the template helps :)

Any questions, let me know

Hi Muzi,

Thanks for all the notes you have posted and that summary! I have just gone through your case study summary and ticked it off against the case studies we were given in the home study pack and a huge amount of them aren't there. e.g. Midwest oil, St Bernard's hospital, Surf shop, You look fantastic, Primus pet food.... to name but a few! There are a good 15 more - is there any chance you had them on soft copy and would be able to post them with their solutions please? Or if you could point me in the direction of where to find them that would be great too.

Thanks for all your help so far, it will make a big difference!

Could you put back up that case study summary please and thank you!

• Advertisement

e.g. Midwest oil, St Bernard's hospital, Surf shop, You look fantastic, Primus pet food.... to name but a few! There are a good 15 more

Are those the ones from the case study days? Possibly past exam papers too

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Could you put back up that case study summary please and thank you!

I cant put it up but you will find it on page 3 or 4 of this thread!

Good thinking, I just checked the case study days and a few of them are included in there but there are still a good few that I cant seem to locate. Not in past exam papers or mocks either.

So when are people planning to start studying for the exams in September ? I am still rather busy at work at the moment and there is no way I would have the energy to study in the evenings. I am one of the lucky ones however , as I get 11 weeks off ( using up annual leave etc ) . I was hoping that when I go on study leave on the 2nd week in June that would leave me with enough time.

What are peoples views on this ? Have some people started studying already ?

I have 5 weeks study leave, starting to get scared when I hear everyone else finishing in June! Havent started or had time to study other than for aafrp :/
    And I have no idea when blackwater case day is or who is in my group. Lack of organisation majorly here!!!

Finished work June 10th.

Have block release the week 23 - 27 June

Mocks 3-5 July

• Advertisement
Advertisement