Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

I have 5 weeks study leave, starting to get scared when I hear everyone else finishing in June! Havent started or had time to study other than for aafrp :/
    And I have no idea when blackwater case day is or who is in my group. Lack of organisation majorly here!!!

I rang the institute and they gave me the names and firms of the people in my group. They wont give you contact details but once you have the name and firm you can just call up the firm if you don't know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

I rang the institute and they gave me the names and firms of the people in my group. They wont give you contact details but once you have the name and firm you can just call up the firm if you don't know them.

I am just off the phone to them myself

The lady told me : what case I was to do and what indicator that I was to look after.

She also told me the other two people in my group but no firms were listed beside their name so I have no contact with them.

I don't understand why we would be contacting each other anyway ? I presume that I just work on my indicator and that's it ?
    I believe in next years FAE there is a BL indicator been rewarded for this class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just ring the main desk is it? I think I will just work on my indicator too. When are you guys in for it? Have you to actually get up and present the indicator?

Just ring the main desk is it? I think I will just work on my indicator too. When are you guys in for it? Have you to actually get up and present the indicator?

I believe that you have to present on your own indicator, my day is on the 21st of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We're the 26th of June

TheDoctor wrote: »
    We're the 26th of June

Have you started studying yet ?

Absolutely not!

Absolutely not!

I was thinking it was too early to start and that study leave would give me plenty of time anyway.

I get off work on June 10th.

My target for this date is to have everything printed and organised for that date

FAE14 wrote: »
    I believe that you have to present on your own indicator, my day is on the 21st of June.

Yeah this is my understanding of it too. That we get together as a group and then stand up and present it to the class. For me it's on the 21st of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have started studying, but it's mainly getting through all of the online classes such as Strategy, Corporate Governance etc.

I have 5 weeks off, plus a week around the mocks and another week for the block week in June.

I have done 3 of the Steps to Success cases which were good, but I find it hard to expand on the indicators. I would say they are good to do to give you a wake up call for where you need to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Hi Muzi,

Thanks for all the notes you have posted and that summary! I have just gone through your case study summary and ticked it off against the case studies we were given in the home study pack and a huge amount of them aren't there. e.g. Midwest oil, St Bernard's hospital, Surf shop, You look fantastic, Primus pet food.... to name but a few! There are a good 15 more - is there any chance you had them on soft copy and would be able to post them with their solutions please? Or if you could point me in the direction of where to find them that would be great too.

Thanks for all your help so far, it will make a big difference!

Hey,

They were attached to the FAE 2013/2012 threads on boards. I should have them in soft copy as well so if you want to give me a list of them, I'll upload them here :)

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    Hey,

They were attached to the FAE 2013/2012 threads on boards. I should have them in soft copy as well so if you want to give me a list of them, I'll upload them here :)

That would be fantastic, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate that. List is below.

Midwest Oil
    St Bernard's Hospital
    Surf Shop
    You look fantastic
    Motorvation
    EFlash Fashions
    Thorpe Clinic
    Bay Trading
    Elm Mount Venture Capitalist
    Eco Cartridges
    Locust Coffee
    Central City Colleges
    Ply4hire
    Precision Cut
    Petrov
    Park 4 Square

Thank you so much again!!

I think most of them cases are in the front of the resource pack Accountant81

I think most of them cases are in the front of the resource pack Accountant81
    I've gone through the resource pack and these are the ones that aren't in it or in the self study cases, or am I missing something?!

Thorpe Clinic was on the Claddagh Case Study Day I think.
    Its a case they reference often

Thorpe Clinic was on the Claddagh Case Study Day I think.
    Its a case they reference often

Apologies, you are right, it is. As is Motorvation and Eflash fashions. But the others I am still drawing a blank on. I tried to download the file with all the cases from the 2013 thread and I think my computer is now corrupted as it downloaded all this extra stuff and it's moving much slower so be warned!

Ok so I've looked through all the attachments that are on the 2013 thread and there are loads of cases and their solutions on there, probably too many to ever get through, if you add them to what we have already but definitely great stuff on there. If you go to Accountancy up the top left of the screen, then scroll to FAE September 2013 you will be able to click on the paper clip to the right of it and it gives you everything that was uploaded to that thread. Saves you having to scroll through hundreds of pages.

Ok so I've looked through all the attachments that are on the 2013 thread and there are loads of cases and their solutions on there, probably too many to ever get through, if you add them to what we have already but definitely great stuff on there. If you go to Accountancy up the top left of the screen, then scroll to FAE September 2013 you will be able to click on the paper clip to the right of it and it gives you everything that was uploaded to that thread. Saves you having to scroll through hundreds of pages.
    Do you still need me to upload them or are you grand now?

Also yes there are too many cases to go through which you won't be able to. I think I did about 10 of them max and left it at that.
    You just need to do the following:
    1. All previous exam papers
    2. All mocks
    3. Self case-studies
    4. Workshop ones

• Advertisement

Do you still need me to upload them or are you grand now?

Also yes there are too many cases to go through which you won't be able to. I think I did about 10 of them max and left it at that.
    You just need to do the following:
    1. All previous exam papers
    2. All mocks
    3. Self case-studies
    4. Workshop ones

If you wouldn't mind, could you please upload just these 4 please? I wasn't able to get my hands on these:

Midwest Oil
    St Bernard's Hospital
    Surf Shop
    You look fantastic

I'm gonna start trying to do maybe half a case study in the evenings, even just reading them and the solution just to try and get my head in the game if I can. Thanks so much re the above. All advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please upload just these 4 please? I wasn't able to get my hands on these:

Midwest Oil
    St Bernard's Hospital
    Surf Shop
    You look fantastic

I'm gonna start trying to do maybe half a case study in the evenings, even just reading them and the solution just to try and get my head in the game if I can. Thanks so much re the above. All advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Here are some attached, I can't find the questions in soft copy for three of them but when I get home, I can scan them and upload them then?

Here are some attached, I can't find the questions in soft copy for three of them but when I get home, I can scan them and upload them then?

That's perfect, thanks a million!

That's perfect, thanks a million!

Here you go :) - New doc 2

Sorry for the highlighting/writing. I didn't have a soft copy

https://app.box.com/s/sucvri8pnra1u8nv4ayu

Here you go :) - New doc 2

Sorry for the highlighting/writing. I didn't have a soft copy

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Phathaus

A question toward those who did the fae's last year, what way should people approach study leave:

1) how much theory should one do before starting case studies?
    2) how best to organise notes?
    3) which books are worth using, which are not?

In relation to question 2, I had all my study notes in different folders, at least one for each of the Super 6 and the elective. I also had another folder in a different colour to make it stand out. This was my "Exam folder" which had all my essential notes in it. I had this at my hand in the mocks and the exam.

The basic idea of it was to have a summary of all my other notes, compressed into the 7 tabs of this folder. That way I could refer to just one folder to get most of the information I needed. I also had my books at my feet, just in case, but it's good to go into the mocks and exams knowing nearly everything you need is in one folder.

Don't be the person in the mocks who has no space to write on their desk because they have every accounting note written since the Millennium on their desk. Keep it short and sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chris Partlow

Hey,

Does anyone have the 13/14 update for 2012 Mock for the Audit Elective?

I havent been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Schickadee

Hi can I ask in the bay trading case it says in rel to Sahara sands it will cost £3.8 million at least! Where is this figure coming from?

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the online lectures are actually outdated and that the page numbers that the lecture is quoting is null and void ?

FAE14 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the online lectures are actually outdated and that the page numbers that the lecture is quoting is null and void ?

Are you talking about the online audit elective one with Sean Murray Online Session 4?

He was using the 2012 toolkit instead of the 2013 one. He apologised for it in a lecture after.

Are you talking about the online audit elective one with Sean Murray Online Session 4?

He was using the 2012 toolkit instead of the 2013 one. He apologised for it in a lecture after.

Yes , I noticed that one. Also the IMP lectures the page references are all wrong as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah saw that also actually. IMP online sessions were recorded in 2012. Last years book also I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

Appreciate if anyone could upload the 13/14 update files, many thanks in advance!
    Hey,

Does anyone have the 13/14 update for 2012 Mock for the Audit Elective?

I havent been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks.

barbie_j wrote: »
    Appreciate if anyone could upload the 13/14 update files, many thanks in advance!

Do you have a zip folder with all the other cases ? Perhaps you could put that up ?

Hi guys,

Quick question in relation to the Dublin groups.
    Group 1-5 tend to have the core lectures together and 6-9 have theirs together.
    How are the lectures for 6-9 on weekdays? Are the people in these groups doing the FAE outside training contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Hi,

Could anyone tell me....the FMA course in the chartered grind school, does this cover both the finance element and the management accounting within performance measurement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Debs23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me....the FMA course in the chartered grind school, does this cover both the finance element and the management accounting within performance measurement?

Hey Debs23 ,

I am hoping that it does because i have booked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

Does anybody have any idea when the AAFRP CASSI report will be out. I'm just dying to see what the response is to our complaints!

JoanH wrote: »
    Does anybody have any idea when the AAFRP CASSI report will be out. I'm just dying to see what the response is to our complaints!

Now thats a good question, looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Now thats a good question, looking forward to that!

WHEN ARE THE RESULTS OUT IS IT NEXT WEEK?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lydia123

TooLate wrote: »
    WHEN ARE THE RESULTS OUT IS IT NEXT WEEK?

No not till end of June, 27th I think..

• Advertisement

June 27th, awhile to go yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

June 27th awful long wait :(

Muzi5434, in you're FAE breakdown you mention a HR book. Is this just the resource pack?

Muzi5434, in you're FAE breakdown you mention a HR book. Is this just the resource pack?

I'm not sure what's it like for this year but last year we had a book separate to the resource pack

I'm not sure what's it like for this year but last year we had a book separate to the resource pack

Do you know what the book was called?

Does anyone know where the additional contribution of €700k in a full year comes from in indicator 1 in the valentine nursery case please :/

Anything interesting from Monahans class last night?

Do you know what the book was called?

Attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone know if there is a competency statement for the electives or is it just contained in the main competency statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

Hi Guys,

Would somebody please be able to scan the pack of cases from case study days? I can't find mine and beginning to freak!

Thanks a mill

Advertisement