Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Just had a read through Full Metal Jacket there. It is so long and so full of irrelevant information in the first few pages, if we got something similar for the Core paper I'd be screwed. Took me ages just to read the thing! Anyone had a look at it yet and do you know when the solution goes up? I'm going to give it a go over the next few days but there really is a lot in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Just had a read through Full Metal Jacket there. It is so long and so full of irrelevant information in the first few pages, if we got something similar for the Core paper I'd be screwed. Took me ages just to read the thing! Anyone had a look at it yet and do you know when the solution goes up? I'm going to give it a go over the next few days but there really is a lot in it!
    Printed it off before leaving work today and was thinking the very same. Haven't read it yet, but surely that amount of text is just way to much for people to have to go through. I think it's something like 13 pages! You'd easily get panicked going back through something that length looking for some information/ figure in an exam situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

TheDoctor wrote: »
    A fair report, I would like to thank CASSI for the time and effort they put into these and their effort for the student body

Thanks a mil, nice to hear - we're always here to help with whatever we can, feel free to drop us a line anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Hi Guys looking for a bit of help. Its a small bit off the point of FAE's but someone on here might be able to help me.

I'm doing the FAE's in September and im currently working with a small firm about, 20 of us.

I have a 3 and half year contract which is finished in March 2015.

My problem is after i do the FAE's in September i am hoping to leave my current employer around Nov/Dec and start a new position(Not in Accountancy) but i'm worried I will have to repay all my fees for CAP 2 And FAE.

Does any one on here have any experience of this or know what the usual procedure would be?

TooLate wrote: »
    Hi Guys looking for a bit of help. Its a small bit off the point of FAE's but someone on here might be able to help me.

I'm doing the FAE's in September and im currently working with a small firm about, 20 of us.

I have a 3 and half year contract which is finished in March 2014.

My problem is after i do the FAE's in September i am hoping to leave my current employer around Nov/Dec and start a new position(Not in Accountancy) but i'm worried I will have to repay all my fees for CAP 2 And FAE.

Does any one on here have any experience of this or know what the usual procedure would be?

Don't worry - if you are out of contract you should be fine. The firm generally covers the costs of the exams as part of your contract, you may be asked to repay these costs if you don't complete the contract but I've never heard of any situation where you would be expected to pay back these costs after you've completed your contract.

If you're very concerned for any particular reason I'd suggest you contact CAI and discuss with them but I really don't see how or why you'd be expected to repay anything. They agreed to train you, you've done that, you can move on when out of contract. Best of luck with FAE!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Don't worry - if you are out of contract you should be fine. The firm generally covers the costs of the exams as part of your contract, you may be asked to repay these costs if you don't complete the contract but I've never heard of any situation where you would be expected to pay back these costs after you've completed your contract.

If you're very concerned for any particular reason I'd suggest you contact CAI and discuss with them but I really don't see how or why you'd be expected to repay anything. They agreed to train you, you've done that, you can move on when out of contract. Best of luck with FAE!

Apologies my contract is until March 2015, my mistake so i would have 3/4 months left on the contract when id be leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

Hey everyone ,

I hope the study is going well for people.

I am wondering how are people studying Tax ?

I'm at a complete standstill with it at the moment between "trying" to listen to Sean Murrary and working through the small FAE Tax book . I am lost.

What are other peoples feelings on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

FAE14 wrote: »
    Hey everyone ,

I'm at a complete standstill with it at the moment between "trying" to listen to Sean Murrary and working through the small FAE Tax book . I am lost.

regarding the audit revision I find the notes are quite good, they highlight the key points in the standard so I use these to do my own notes and then only refer to the lectures if I don't understand something, haven't started looking at tax as of yet

regarding the audit revision I find the notes are quite good, they highlight the key points in the standard so I use these to do my own notes and then only refer to the lectures if I don't understand something, haven't started looking at tax as of yet

Which audit notes are these Cian? Just the lecture notes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

Which audit notes are these Cian? Just the lecture notes?

ya the ones from sean murray that are on the website, they have bullet points with the reference to the paragraph in the standard beside it

ya the ones from sean murray that are on the website, they have bullet points with the reference to the paragraph in the standard beside it

Ah brilliant, thanks a million. I havent even started looking at audit yet - am still working through Full Metal Jacket. Although Paul Monaghan has tipped 3 audit indicators to come up this year as apparently the board weren't too happy that people just scraped by last year with lots of yellows so they will want to test us this year. Apparently! So better get moving on it. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil, nice to hear - we're always here to help with whatever we can, feel free to drop us a line anytime!

You're welcome. And thanks for welcoming us on the welcome feedback for the welcome exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tyrone2014

I recently left my training contract with a small/medium sized firm a few months ago and transferred to another accounting practice. At the time I had served 18/19 months of my training contract.

It was a pretty straight forward process. If you contact the institute they will send the required paperwork to transfer your training contract. Its a small form, which doesn't take long to complete.

You will need to get your old employer and your new employer to sign the respective form.

In regards to repaying your fee's, its up to your employer to decided. However, I have spoken to a few individuals who have had nothing to pay and some who have unfortunately had to repay some of their fees.

Hope this is off some help!

Has anyone had a stab at the proposed purchase of Coolant Services Limited in Full Metal Jacket yet? Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on it? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Hi if anyone is in the motoassemblers group and doing the change management indicator on the 21st of June could you send me a pm please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Hi guys, does anyone have any idea what the core case study preparation course in the chartered grind school is to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

Debs23 wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone have any idea what the core case study preparation course in the chartered grind school is to be like?

I signed up for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

I think they'd be being a bit harsh to look for money back at this stage, do you have a reasonable relationship with them? Surely you can use the argument that your wages are low to make up for them paying the exam fees. I'm considering making a move as soon as the exams are done myself and I'd be fairly pee'd off if they were to bring it up. As far as I'm concerned they've been getting great value out of us for the last 3 years. In my case there's precedent because others have left during training contracts and nothing was said so maybe I'm in the dark on how it goes in other places. I just think it would be very harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 PeteF

In one word, don't.

If you plan to move to a non-accountancy related career, this may affect your admission to membership, as technically you won't have completed the entire three and a half year training contract. Being a chartered accountant is a great advantage to have when looking for jobs, or seeking finance for a business venture.

Don't give up now, and don't be short sighted. Stick it out until the end of your contract, especially since it's so near. It'd be a pity to get so far and give it all up now.

PeteF wrote: »
    In one word, don't.

If you plan to move to a non-accountancy related career, this may affect your admission to membership, as technically you won't have completed the entire three and a half year training contract. Being a chartered accountant is a great advantage to have when looking for jobs, or seeking finance for a business venture.

Don't give up now, and don't be short sighted. Stick it out until the end of your contract, especially since it's so near. It'd be a pity to get so far and give it all up now.

I definitely would second this. If you try to move, even to another accountancy firm, you'll need your current firm to sign off on your CA diary up to that point and then continue it with the new firm. For the sake of the last few months you are definitely better to stick it out, apply for admission to membership and then leave if that's what you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

Hi guys,
    As most of us agreed that the little tax book is quite good, I'm reading it in detail and have a quick question in Chapter 2.
    In example 2.3 (page 31): Transfer of a business relief,
    the value of the liabilities taken over is considered as ' consideration other than shares', but why on page 32, Share value on 31 July 2013 NOT equals to €4.15m??
    Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

PeteF wrote: »
    In one word, don't.

totally agreed! just a few months to go! don't give it up now, and if you are doing FAE this year, please don't even think of it! focus on the exam, leave everything till the end of March, and let's see from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

Hi Guys! Just wondering if anyone has started looking at the Sea Bounty Case for the Blackwater case day? I've been given the ethics indicator, which I think is indicator 4, but I am not sure what people are saying for this one?

I am from a small firm and so I know nobody in my group so I am doing this alone :/

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thumbelinda

Does anyone have a rough study guide done out for between now and the exams by any chance that they wouldn't mind sharing? It might save me from starting one from scratch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Does anyone have a rough study guide done out for between now and the exams by any chance that they wouldn't mind sharing? It might save me from starting one from scratch!!

My current study timetable is as follows:

Monday - wake up at 8.30, realise I'm still hungover and no point in doing anything till at least Tuesday, go back to sleep.

Tuesday - wake up at 8.30 and decide to research the internet for stuff that I think will help me with my studies but in reality It won't. Eat an egg, I like eggs.

Wednesday - make a conscious effort to get up and study, I'm fooling everybody but not myself. Convince brain that if I sort everything else out in my life first then I will finally be able to start studying. Phone granny and ask her if she needs shopping done, that bitch always wants something.

Thursday - Jesus where's the week gone at...oh look a squirrel.

Friday - make plans to see girl from tinder, bring her for reasonably priced meal in a fast food restaurant followed by an awkward shift at a taxi rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I am doing sea bounty change management indicator if anyone else is doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Does anyone have a copy of the solutions for the HR case studies in the resource pack. I know someone has already said they were covered in the lecture but the solutions don't seem to be online.
    Also there are questions in the tax book that say solutions are available from your lecturer. Does anyone know if these solutions have been released by the institute?

Worth emailing as lecturer for hr said she would get it put up but it still hasn't been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Debs23 wrote: »

I did it last year, I thought it was ok. Gave good advice on spotting indicators and explained the 6 (I think) ways indicators tend to be phrased such as "I'm concerned about...." etc.

I also did the business leadership one and found a fair bit of cross-over between them as it was the same guy doing part of both, Shane something or other I think. In the business leadership class he also went through the ways to spot indicators.

Passed the CORE last year first time, maybe the class helped, maybe it didn't I honestly couldn't say. Can't really remember much more from it, didn't think it was amazing but thought the bit I referred to above was helpful but I coulda got that from the business leadership day and saved myself €120 or whatever it is they cost.

No guarantee it'll be same this year though, might be no cross-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

Kat1981 wrote: »
    I'm doing the Sea Bounty Case Indicator 4. I also work in business and have no contact to my group. I was thinking to do all 3 Blackwater cases before the workshop but with greater focus on Indicator 4 in the Sea Bounty Case. Don't even know what the 4th indicator is yet, what is if my sequence is different, does it mean I will present the wrong indicator? Really weird :-(

Hey i was given indicator 4 too and i heard its the ethics one. Have you started working on this?

There only seems to be a sentence or two at the end about claims against the product but surely theres not enough to write about on that? Not enough information is given. I was thinking maybe the indicator is the composition of the Board and appointment of directors...but thats more corporate governance than ethics. Really confused by where the ethics issue is in the case if its not the make up of the Board!

I welcome any help!!

• Advertisement

hewhodares I tried message you back but you cant get private messages message me your email address if you can please. Anyone else in the 21st June, the change management indicator for motoassemblers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

So first day of study leave proper!

Think I'll do some elective stuff, try and give the mock in that a good go.

Not enough time to do everything for core.

Hard to know where to start. Maybe last years paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Hi All,

Quick question, how is everyone laying out there folders? So much stuff I don't know where to start. It's annoying that some subjects don't have lecture slides, feel like I have nothing for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

I still have another two weeks work before study leave and getting nervous reading about everyone starting to study :eek: I haven't done anything yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

So first day of study leave proper!

Think I'll do some elective stuff, try and give the mock in that a good go.

Not enough time to do everything for core.

Hard to know where to start. Maybe last years paper

I don't go on study leave until August! One of the lads I know is only getting two weeks and that is out of his holidays as he is not in a training contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

I still have another two weeks work before study leave and getting nervous reading about everyone starting to study :eek: I haven't done anything yet....

I'm the same, another 2 weeks of work! The thing is, I still cant motivate myself to study after work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Will be finished this Friday, ah it'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

Hi all,

I am a repeater for core this year and tax is an area which failed me last year. I'm just wondering what the small fae tax book is that some people have mentioned in the thread? Is this a new book this year or should I have this from last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

FAE14 wrote: »
    Hey everyone ,

Hey- what is this small tax? Is this an RoI thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 heathcliff101

Hi all, ISAs 600 & 610 are examinable for the first time this year, but I can't see them mentioned anywhere in Sean Murray's lecture material. Am I missing something or did he not cover these at all? ISA 600 is pretty long....I was hoping to have those shortened lecture notes on it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Hi all, ISAs 600 & 610 are examinable for the first time this year, but I can't see them mentioned anywhere in Sean Murray's lecture material. Am I missing something or did he not cover these at all? ISA 600 is pretty long....I was hoping to have those shortened lecture notes on it.......

Hey ,we have slides for Isas 600 and 610 in elective session 1/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

jny107 wrote: »
    Hey- what is this small tax? Is this an RoI thing?

It's the Corporate and Individual Tax Planning book, the NI students should have it too: http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/en/General/Shop/Books/Corporate-and-Individual-Tax-Planning-NI-2013---2014/

The full FAE book list is here:
    http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Student-Information/Courses/Books-titles-and-information/

I'm not sure if it was there last year, but just guessing from the way the lecturer talks about it being very useful I think it was?

Seriously struggling to do any work, despite now being on leave.

Mocks and AAFRP result next week hopefully be a kick up the backside required

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lauma

Seriously struggling to do any work, despite now being on leave.

Mocks and AAFRP result next week hopefully be a kick up the backside required

Same here. Organized my folders over the weekend but can't seems to start working.
    BTW any of you going to audit elective lecture this evening?

Yes I intend to, only doing elective stuff till the mocks, hope to give that exam a good go.

Too much stuff in the core.

• Advertisement

acastudent wrote: »
    Hey ,we have slides for Isas 600 and 610 in elective session 1/2

Would someone please post these slides? I'm not doing audit for the elective so wont have access to them.

Seriously no motivation this week - this weather isn't helping!!!

Also, any FAE people from last year who passed have any advice on APM? I'm starting to go through the book now but it's fairly mammoth. Would we be better off focussing on the past papers? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lauma

Would someone please post these slides? I'm not doing audit for the elective so wont have access to them.

Seriously no motivation this week - this weather isn't helping!!!

Here you go.

lauma wrote: »
    Here you go.

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

CGS Booklets for sale - financial Acc/ Core Prep / tax / Management acc

• Advertisement
Advertisement