Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

CGS Booklets for sale - financial Acc/ Core Prep / tax / Management acc

Last years or this years? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 heathcliff101

Thanks a million! Does anyone happen to know why these weren't covered in audit core lectures? I'm assuming they're fully examinable in core since they're on the competency statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

Also, any FAE people from last year who passed have any advice on APM? I'm starting to go through the book now but it's fairly mammoth. Would we be better off focussing on the past papers? Thanks in advance!

I passed APM last year and focused mainly on DCC and being able to lay it out quickly to get an answer to them be able to talk around. For the first time, DCC didn't come up! just know your book inside out as the themes are pretty consistent year on year and DCC is bound to come up this year!!

Did anybody go to the revision course this year? Or does anybody know where I can get the following cases:

Beta boats
    Alpha metal,
    Distress Financing
    Canny equipment
    Luxo paints
    Harding property repairs

??

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Also, any FAE people from last year who passed have any advice on APM? I'm starting to go through the book now but it's fairly mammoth. Would we be better off focussing on the past papers? Thanks in advance!

1) you're going to be killed for time so you have to plan correctly
    2) go tru the book but only at a high level, it's very useful to do out a detailed index of the book so you can find stuff (tools etc.) on the day
    3) use the tools e.g. SWOT analysis, PESTEL etc. they save time and ensure you look at all angles of the indicator. If you use a tool correctly and are logical in reaching a conclusion you will get competent in that indicator guaranteed
    4) on the day of the exam leave cash flows till the VERY LAST indicator you do if possible. It's quite easy to get lost in a cash flow and they're only worth one indicator the same as all the others
    5) your notes should include a list of all the APM competences and the cases they came up in. Do these cases at a minimum
    6) have a strategy for exam day without one you'll run out of time with a good strategy you'll be pushed for time but you'll finish the paper, this improves your chances of passing

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

How are people tackling strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Ted that's really useful, thanks a million!! That's a big help.

Debs, strategy a really big concern for me too - I'm going through the toolkit and doing the cases within that. Also flicking through the book but not in any depth. Hoping that if I do enough cases between now and the exam it will be enough to get me over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Ted that's really useful, thanks a million!! That's a big help.

Debs, strategy a really big concern for me too - I'm going through the toolkit and doing the cases within that. Also flicking through the book but not in any depth. Hoping that if I do enough cases between now and the exam it will be enough to get me over the line.

Are you going to do any form of notes or just tab the book?

I was thinking of just tabbing the book - there are some notes on here for strategy that I was gonna use too as a back up and I am tabbing solutions to past papers as I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Good spreadsheet linking standards and competences to cases for the audit elective on the site now. Was doing up one myself, should help the study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Good spreadsheet linking standards and competences to cases for the audit elective on the site now. Was doing up one myself, should help the study

can you upload it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

Hey all... if anyone is in Dublin core 2, group 7 and assigned indicator 4 on sea bounty will you private message me please

(yes I know its a bit late! - presenting 21st June)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Hey, does anyone know where on the website we can get the PQA for audit core?

Little Pea wrote: »
    can you upload it please.

Find attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Hey, does anyone know where on the website we can get the PQA for audit core?

They're in the Launch session 1 folder of notes for launch lectures.

Can't seem to link it but there's a link to it on the student page of the chartered website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I don't see how people are on about cases yet, obviously more technical knowledge than I do. I don't plan on doing cases till around late July at the earliest.

I don't see how people are on about cases yet, obviously more technical knowledge than I do. I don't plan on doing cases till around late July at the earliest.

Easiest way to study is learning through cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

That's fair enough, I see that your approach might work for some but I personally can't see the point in attempting a case study that I have no idea how to do. I just end up looking at the solution. I'm going to try and build my technical knowledge first, I know from listening to Paul Monahan that he has stressed the importance of technical knowledge.

Yeah find it very hard to start a case without having the foundations laid.

I am working on foundations now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

That's fair enough, I see that your approach might work for some but I personally can't see the point in attempting a case study that I have no idea how to do. I just end up looking at the solution. I'm going to try and build my technical knowledge first, I know from listening to Paul Monahan that he has stressed the importance of technical knowledge.

Same here . My plan for now is go through the technical stuff until Mocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

acastudent wrote: »
    Same here . My plan for now is go through the technical stuff until Mocks

There's so much though, where to start? I preferred in college when you had a list of topics you could tick off as you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Personally I'll be doing the same as you too, building up my technical knowledge before attempting cases. I think it just comes down to each person and how they study best! I will be doing at least a month of studying before I attempt any cases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If ypu arw coming from CAP 1 & CAP 2 there is not a huge amount of new technical material.

This exam is like no other. I think attempting the cases is a great way to learn. Sure we've had a good few days doing cases (Liffey, Lagan, Lee etc.) where we've had to have a go at the cases.

I've being going through cases the past couple of weeks and attempted all of the steps cases up Full Metal Jacket.

Now I by no means am anywhere near the standard required, but feel I am improving with everyone.

I basically go through the case. Highlight key points. Write out a summary page. Try and work out the indicators.

Then put down what I think are the key points per my indicators.

After that I go through the solution and see how far off I am. So far not great. But definitely picking up the indicators and getting some points. I am starting to see my weaker areas and I will focus on them.

The solutions are great to get an idea of the language that they are looking for etc.

There is so much technical material, so I wouldn't know where to start if I did it the other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Suarez777

I've been changing my mind everyday for the last few weeks on how to study and its got me no where so I am going to just do the technical stuff for the next few weeks especially PM, Audit and Tax, Mocks will be a nightmare because there's no chance ill get even close to finishing a paper. Might throw in the odd few case studies at the end of each week just to try get my speed up. Trying to do up a study timetable but finding it very difficult

There's so much though, where to start? I preferred in college when you had a list of topics you could tick off as you go!

Monday Tuesday dedicated to audit core and elective . Read slides / notes , few cases and also attended audit lecture yesterday . So that's done for audit till mocks .
    Today started going through the tax book . Halfway there . Plan for tomorrow Finish the rest of the book and attempt questions

• Advertisement

Am I being really simple, or just stupid - how do I search by attachment in a thread???

#imuseless

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

jny107 wrote: »
    Am I being really simple, or just stupid - how do I search by attachment in a thread???

#imuseless

There is a little attachment icon to the right of the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

What do you need to pass the elective. Is it reaching competent or competent?

Theres about 10 indicators and over them if you get enough HC, C, RC you pass.

No one knows what the exact amount is that you need to get.

Did we ever get any notes on the following ISAs

230 - Documentation
    320 - Materiality in Audit Planning
    520 - Analytical Procedures
    710 - Comparative Information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Haylcyp

Hi,

Did anyone do the AAFRP on Tuesday who deferred it?

What are your thoughts? It was a disaster for me.

Was it easier or harder than the April paper?

Results next week people!!

I didn't see that April paper so am unsure. The questions were horrendous, real time consuming and we had to correct a typo in the middle of the exam also.

CAI at their glorious best

I just made a complaint. I think it was ridiculous that the exam was not proof read before going to print. It took me about 4 or 5 minutes to make the change as I didnt hear what the facilitator said with someone beside me having to ask her to repeat herself. In that exam, timing is everything. Fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Haylcyp wrote: »
    I just made a complaint. I think it was ridiculous that the exam was not proof read before going to print. It took me about 4 or 5 minutes to make the change as I didnt hear what the facilitator said with someone beside me having to ask her to repeat herself. In that exam, timing is everything. Fuming

Make the Examiner who sets the financial reporting exams go back and do the Fae's as he/she is clearly "incompetent"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

the results of the april aafrp will be interesting next Friday, surely they cant screw us all, in relation to the blackwater case day does anyone have any advice on how to present there indicator eg powerpoint etc, the other people in my group are not showing up so on my own and would appreciate any help

My group is either going to do powerpoint or else just type it up and print it off. Leaning towards the latter I think and that way we can just put it under the lamp that the lecturers normally write under. That way you're not fiddling with keys etc and it's quicker too!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

Hi guys,

Has everyone been in contact with their group? I know I am doing indicator 3 change management in the Sea Bounty but have not been in contact with my group at all. I tried to contact their firms but did not hear back and will try again tomorrow. I am just wondering am I the only one who is like this? I know it is seriously last minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

Hi all, ISAs 600 & 610 are examinable for the first time this year, but I can't see them mentioned anywhere in Sean Murray's lecture material. Am I missing something or did he not cover these at all? ISA 600 is pretty long....I was hoping to have those shortened lecture notes on it.......

Hi - am i correct in saying 600 and 610 are just for Audit Elective and not Audit Core? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Has everyone been in contact with their group? I know I am doing indicator 3 change management in the Sea Bounty but have not been in contact with my group at all. I tried to contact their firms but did not hear back and will try again tomorrow. I am just wondering am I the only one who is like this? I know it is seriously last minute!

That's my indicator also, I won't be presenting though, I answered the whole case.

Tricky1979 wrote: »
    Hi - am i correct in saying 600 and 610 are just for Audit Elective and not Audit Core? Thanks[/]

Just checked competency statement ,they are examinable in core and elective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Does anyone know anything about the audit ODCE notes that went up on the site today and are they examinable?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

Little Pea wrote: »
    That's my indicator also, I won't be presenting though, I answered the whole case.

Are you going to the lecture, or just preparing an answer and waiting for the solution?

Are you going to the lecture, or just preparing an answer and waiting for the solution?

Going tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

I'm not sure if anyone will get any use out of this but I have done up a brief topic list of each subject based on the competency statement and planning and delivery schedule (I didn't go to many lectures :P). I always found this kind of list useful when studying for exams in college!

Also if anyone feels I am missing anything etc. please give feedback as I may have missed a bit!

Cheers.

Edit: It won't let me upload the pdf? Anyone want me to email it to them that can put it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I am going tomorrow but just going to write out brief bullet points tonight for my indicator not doing powerpoint or typing it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Shoves

Hi guys,

Hi Reddzer
    PM'ed you there, that's my indicator as well for casestudy day tomorrow (June 21st).

Hi,

Does anyone know if the self study case studies that we received from the institute in a bound book are available online in soft copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Sorry, quick question I know I could check if I was at home but am out and about. Has the final audit elective lecture been on in Dublin yet?

Advertisement