Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I complete shock here - HC .

While I thought the exam went well enough, I would have been delighted with C.

Well done to everyone on here. We can now leave the AAFRP behind and focus on the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Loads of HCs by the looks of it

God how bad was I!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Any of you Cs and HCs got any great tips for the rest of us mere mortals? :)

Get off boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katieanne56

Yeah, time better spent studying eh?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

HC. Deloitted with that one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

maninblack wrote: »
    So if there's 5 PM indicators, we need 3 C's to be safe. God I really hope they go easy on us in the exam with PM now. Feels like getting RC in AAFRP 'wastes' an indicator and just makes the exam itself tougher to pass

It doesn't.

What you need to pass FAE at the very, very minimum to absolutely scrape it is this:

1. Average of C in PM & BL; or alternatively 1 C below average and all the rest are RC, i.e no NC's or NA's.
    2. 1 RC in each of Tax, Finance, Audit, IMP and no NA's
    3. And then as many C's or RC's as you can achieve out of the balance of indicators to get you over the line on "sufficiency".

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Wow congrats LOccitane, that's absolutely amazing!

Thanks so much Katie - really appreciated :-) - Well done to everybody because an RC is still a good start on the Exams for September - please everyone, keep that in mind - this was an extremely difficult exam and a massive step up on last year!
    Same here, I think that warrants a day off the study

Absolutely! Well I'm taking the morning off for sure..! ;-)

Well done to everyone so far and for anybody disappointed - remember it is only one indicator from what was a very challenging exam.

Regards,

LOccitane

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlacknWhite86

Somehow pulled a HC out of bag...very suprised and delighted obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Major Panic................NC here. Looks like im the first! :(

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Major Panic................NC here. Looks like im the first! :(

Don't worry too much, I found myshirt's earlier post encouraging re what we need to get at a minimum to pass FAE - makes it all seem much more manageable :)

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    It doesn't.

What you need to pass FAE at the very, very minimum to absolutely scrape it is this:

1. Average of C in PM & BL; or alternatively 1 C below average and all the rest are RC, i.e no NC's or NA's.
    3. And then as many C's or RC's as you can achieve out of the balance of indicators to get you over the line on "sufficiency".

That seems very easy to pass Audit, Tax, IMP and Finance.
    BL and PM will need work

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FlyingSolo13

Got nc! What now?? Enjoy the hoildays?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FlyingSolo13

Got nc! What now?? Enjoy the hoildays?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

RC is it yellow or red ??? I presume it's red ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Casio88

Hi all,

Long time reader of this thread- just wanted to ask does anyone know of someone who provides one on one grinds in PM- as a repeater I have gotten RC the last couple of times in the assessment and have had trouble finding someone to get me up to scratch on both financial and management accounting for the actual exam. Any help appreciated 😊

I think with an NC then you just need to get at least 2Cs and 2-3RCs in PM and you'll still be okay, is that right? That's not at all impossible :)

TheDoctor wrote: »
    That seems very easy to pass Audit, Tax, IMP and Finance.
    BL and PM will need work

That is to absolutely to scrape it.

If I was to give any advice, just play it safe. Get all C's and HC's. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

It doesn't.

If we get any NA do we fail? Be worried about missing an indicator!

One missed indicator wont fail you. Though its very unlikely you would miss one

No, you don't.

And note - over the last number of years, barely anyone has missed an indicator. Two instances I believe:

1. Tax Indicator on re-organisation relief in 2010, and to a lesser extent;
    2. General Business Ethics last year

That is two indicators out of 8 papers and 140-150 indicators.

You will get the indicators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Don't worry too much, I found myshirt's earlier post encouraging re what we need to get at a minimum to pass FAE - makes it all seem much more manageable :)

I got an NC too, heard of so many people getting that and still passing, just gonna study the way I was going to anyway, maybe an extra scan over the standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

RC - Very deflated now ! Bring on the wine.

Little Pea wrote: »

Chin up !!! It's not the end yet .

Examiner's report is up. Much lower results than last year:

NC: 12% (2013: 7%)
    RC: 44% (2013: 37%)
    C: 25% (2013: 27%)
    HC: 18% (2013: 28%)

For more:

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Global/examdocs/FAE%20AAFRP%20April%202014%20Exam%20Paper,%20Suggested%20Solution%20and%20Examiners%20Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Little Pea wrote: »

Keep your head up

Plenty of time to make it up in the weeks ahead.
    By all accounts it was an extremely tough exam.
    Just make sure you're comfortable with mgt accounting for Sept cause that'll be the more challenging part of pm.
    The fin reporting you did for AAFRP will be more than enough to cover off whatever reporting comes up in Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Did ye see the first line of the comments from the Board. "The Board is disappointed with the decrease in Competent and Highly Competent candidates from the prior year". Well, so are we!

I got RC. Felt very prepared going into the exam which normally never happens. I felt there was no comparison in terms of difficulty with prior year papers.

Examiner's report is up. Much lower results than last year:

NC: 12% (2013: 7%)
    RC: 44% (2013: 37%)
    C: 25% (2013: 27%)
    HC: 18% (2013: 28%)

For more:

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Global/examdocs/FAE%20AAFRP%20April%202014%20Exam%20Paper,%20Suggested%20Solution%20and%20Examiners%20Report.pdf

Those statistics are not too bad.

I think it is clear they were very generous in their marking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Those statistics are not too bad.

I think it is clear they were very generous in their marking.

Generous wouldn't be the word I'd use.

They've shifted the curve back to where they want it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Raging reading the examiners report. What a joke!

"The board encourages all candidates to focus on this area in preparation for the examinations in September"

"The board is disappointed with the decrease in Competent and Highly Competent candidates from prior year"

They have just assumed that we couldn't be bothered to study as hard as students in previous years and thats why the results were bad. We all worked our ass for for this exam and put in a disproportionate amount of work for just one indicator. They set an awful exam and refused to acknowledge in the report that the paper was harder than prior years. I agree with cson, they just decided last years results were too good and moved the curve to exactly where they wanted it. Disgrace.

Rant. Over.

• Advertisement

Looking at the solution made me even more upset . I don't think I was far off ...

It was harder exam than last year, that's why the pass rates aren't as high. Simple as. I don't think it's anything got to do with a curve.

cson wrote: »
    Generous wouldn't be the word I'd use.

They've shifted the curve back to where they want it to be.

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

ted2767 wrote: »
    Keep your head up

Plenty of time to make it up in the weeks ahead.
    By all accounts it was an extremely tough exam.
    Just make sure you're comfortable with mgt accounting for Sept cause that'll be the more challenging part of pm.
    The fin reporting you did for AAFRP will be more than enough to cover off whatever reporting comes up in Sept
    How would you suggest we tackle management accounting, any advice would be great?

Does Mgmt Accounting regularly appear in the FAE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It was harder exam than last year, that's why the pass rates aren't as high. Simple as. I don't think it's anything got to do with a curve.

The harder exam being the method of shifting the curve back to where they want it to be imo. Not acknowledging that it was a significantly harder exam than 2013 and then comparing the YOY figures pretty much highlights that I think.

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Does Mgmt Accounting regularly appear in the FAE?

No it's not coming up this year, Paul Monahan told us that. He said it came up last year and they never ask it twice.

Sorry I probably missed your post Dellboy2007 . what did you get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I found the following quite interesting:

Exam questions on reportable segments do, by their nature, require a lot of information. While an attempt
    had been made to keep the information to a minimum, the disclosures required are still quite lengthy and did
    require transposition of appropriate figures. Marks were awarded for demonstrating an understanding of the
    issues and identifying segments even if all the information had not been transposed, as a concession to the
    time constraints of an exam.
    This was quite an easy question in reality and many candidates scored highly.
    However a minority of candidates appeared daunted by the number of boxes and did not complete the
    question.

I know in the exam, I didn't get anywhere near enough time to get all the boxes filled but I made a good start, so it seems that that was enough to get marks in the question. Thankfully I left Section B to the end, so this was my last question. You could have spent ages on filling it out for no extra marks to me, who only made a start at it!

acastudent wrote: »
    Sorry I probably missed your post Dellboy2007 . what did you get ?

No need to apologise, I didn't say, that's why you didn't see it.

Seen as you asked, I got a C with about a week of study, was even working Saturdays. Not trying to boast but seen as I am being called out on this I am responding. If you approached it right and did the easier questions right instead of trying everything, you might have got C too.

Have a nice day kind sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

No it's not coming up this year, Paul Monahan told us that. He said it came up last year and they never ask it twice.

Ooh that's a very dangerous assumption!! Even if Paul Monahan did say that I'd still be covering myself for it just in case. Paul doesn't set the paper.

• Advertisement

In Cork he told us it is coming up and to focus in particular on budgeting and divisional performance....!

In Cork he told us it is coming up and to focus in particular on budgeting and divisional performance....!

AAFRP is over and done with now.

On towards battle...

http://fae.will.be.defeated.aninote.com/ (sound needed)

No need to apologise, I didn't say, that's why you didn't see it.

Seen as you asked, I got a C with about a week of study, was even working Saturdays. Not trying to boast but seen as I am being called out on this I am responding. If you approached it right and did the easier questions right instead of trying everything, you might have got C too.

Have a nice day kind sir.

Fair play to you :) I must remember your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Paul said something about transfer pricing to us in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elizmac28

Dellboy - maybe have bit of consideration for people who put alot effort in and didnt get what they deserve

Keep your smart comments for your mates in texts not public trends

As for Mgmt Acc - it has to come up at least once - FACT

PM - will not consist of 5 FR indicators

Guys = dont believe everything you read on hear - its peoples opinons - nothing institute bound

Well done to everyone - keep it up - no1 can fail from first hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

acastudent wrote: »
    Fair play to you :) I must remember your advice

Now, Now!

elizmac28 wrote: »

Well done to everyone - keep it up - no1 can fail from first hurdle

Didn't you fail last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elizmac28

relevance?