Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elizmac28

not up for bitch off dell boy - i will pick up ur dummy and hand it back tou you - gracefully
    best luck winding everyone up - well for u has the spare time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Didn't you fail last year?

Charming!!

You won't get much help here with an attitude like that and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Dellboy your posts are always so annoying but now you are just being rude. I don't think that the people who got less than c didn't work hard or approached it incorrectly. That's great that you got your c but there's no need to be mean. Nobody is laughing. I suspect you aren't as funny as you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys, no matter what, just keep your composure.

Really not happy with my result today, but I just have to thank you again for posting this! Turned my frown upside down!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Dellboy your posts are always so annoying but now you are just being rude. I don't think that the people who got less than c didn't work hard or approached it incorrectly. That's great that you got your c but there's no need to be mean. Nobody is laughing. I suspect you aren't as funny as you think you are.

Accountant81 just private messaged me asking to fight me. Can the mod's ban him please.

(Mod edit) - if that's the case report it. Boards.ie take a very dim view of threats, especially in private messages. smcgiff

• Registered Users Posts: 17 heathcliff101

Grow up Dellboy

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Accountant81 just private messaged me asking to fight me. Can the mod's ban him please.

How do you know it's him and not her????

(mod edit) lets not encourage this side track discussion. Thanks Smcgiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

(mod edit) The below seems so much nicer on its own. smcgiff

I genuinely wish people the best of luck in the exams. For anyone that didn't get the result they wanted today, I'm sure this will give you extra motivation to work harder between here and September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

This thread is getting locked until I see what has been going on.

Edit ... Thread reopened. Please keep in mind how sensitive results and the like can be, especially for those that put in a lot of effort and don't get the result they were hoping for.

However, please don't rise to the bait either.

TL/DR Play nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

smcgiff wrote: »
    This thread is getting locked until I see what has been going on.

Thanks for re-opening. This is thread is a valuable resource for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

HC. Clearly warranted by my feverish copying of operating segment information from one piece of paper to another. That was the most ridiculous question I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

Hi - first timer poster on the FAE board ... i am a repeating this year, I got my AAFRP results this morning and did worse than last year, so i'm completely devastated RC to a NC. I fell down in the performance management indicator last year too with yellows and greens in the rest.
    I am wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go from here, cases to focus on or books they felt helped them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Thanks for re-opening. This is thread is a valuable resource for students.

Agreed. We are all on here for the same purpose - to help each other with passing these exams. For example, I'll happily admit that I put a lot of work into the AAFRP (working 12 or more hours per day in Busy Season and then studying for the AAFRP late at night) and was very lucky to get HC in the end.

In terms of the PM indicators for the Final Exam... Rather than individual subject topics, I would consider what ''scenario'' has not yet appeared before.. To the best of my knowledge; a subsidiary of an MNC has not yet appeared... Such a scenario might (if it appeared) lend itself to:

- AUDIT: Consolidation & Group Audits..
    - PM: Divisional Performance Measurement, Transfer Pricing, Budgeting...
    - TAX: Group Reliefs...
    - PM: Consolidation (IFRS 3, IFRS 10 etc.)...

Overall - just cover everything and then there will be no room for doubt! :-)

LOccitane

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

LOccitane wrote: »
    Agreed. We are all on here for the same purpose - to help each other with passing these exams. For example, I'll happily admit that I put a lot of work into the AAFRP (working 12 or more hours per day in Busy Season and then studying for the AAFRP late at night) and was very lucky to get HC in the end.

In terms of the PM indicators for the Final Exam... Rather than individual subject topics, I would consider what ''scenario'' has not yet appeared before.. To the best of my knowledge; a subsidiary of an MNC has not yet appeared... Such a scenario might (if it appeared) lend itself to:

LOccitane

Would group audits be examinable at core?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

LOccitane

THAT is exactly my nightmare of a paper haha! Group reliefs...consol....:(

As much as I don't want those topics though, I do agree that groups/consol it is a strong possibility as it has been mentioned by a few lecturers that it hasn't been examined yet!

• Advertisement

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    Would group audits be examinable at core?

Yes.

And tag that previous post from LOccitane on an indicator, I think come September they may be proven right. Something along the lines of you are a sub, or you are to become a sub:
    1. First time adoption of IFRS - Local GAAP to IFRS
    2. Group Re-Organisation Relief
    3. Accounting Entries for this
    4. Change of Auditor to a Group Auditor
    5. Audit of comparative information
    6. Corporate Governance implications
    They like stuff that mixes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Yes.

And tag that previous post from LOccitane on an indicator, I think come September they may be proven right. Something along the lines of you are a sub, or you are to become a sub:
    1. First time adoption of IFRS - Local GAAP to IFRS
    2. Group Re-Organisation Relief
    3. Accounting Entries for this
    4. Change of Auditor to a Group Auditor
    5. Audit of comparative information
    6. Corporate Governance implications
    They like stuff that mixes well.

Has there been a case with something similiar to the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elizmac28

Yes that seems all very possible.

Paul Monaghan said the mocks are on MNC with 3 audit indicators and Cor Gov

What cases did he say to concentrate on re: Mocks?

Has anyone done any MNC cases that you recommend to concentrate on?

Thanks in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thumbelinda

elizmac28 wrote: »
    Yes that seems all very possible.

Paul Monaghan said the mocks are on MNC with 3 audit indicators and Cor Gov

What cases did he say to concentrate on re: Mocks?

Has anyone done any MNC cases that you recommend to concentrate on?

Thanks in advance....

He said on the Blackwater case day to do the Valentine Nursery case and the Full Metal Jacket case.

He said on the Blackwater case day to do the Valentine Nursery case and the Full Metal Jacket case.

Do a quick run over them on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

That's not luck, that's hard work that paid off! Fair play.

I got RC. Think I have a lot of work to do after reading what people are tipping to come up in the exam. Wouldn't have a clue where to start with most of the topics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

The more I think about that RC I got in AAFRP, the more depressing it gets.

Thinking of all those nights getting home late after busy season and hitting the books for an hour or two. I don't honestly think I could have given any more! :(

I don't know why they don't have the assessment around xmas time when work is quieter, would make so much more sense

maninblack wrote: »

Thinking of all those nights getting home late after busy season and hitting the books for an hour or two. I don't honestly think I could have given any more! :(

I don't know why they don't have the assessment around xmas time when work is quieter, would make so much more sense

Same here ,the more I think the more I am getting anoid or angry . I wish I didn't look at the solutions but aw well what's done is done ,somehow I have to find a strength to move on

RC is not a bad result.

If anything, it will focus you for September. Lest we all forget, FR will be all over this paper.

No one has passed this exam yet. No one has failed.

In fact, those who got a C are possibly less likely to get into fight mode. 20 minutes into the exam, that 2 hours panic study you put into IAS 37 one day prompted by fear, and you are back level par with those that got a C.

And trust me, you need to be in fight mode on FR. Eat that Derry Cotter book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

RC is not a bad result.

If anything, it will focus you for September. Lest we all forget, FR will be all over this paper.

In fact, those who got a C are possibly less likely to get into fight mode. 20 minutes into the exam, that 2 hours panic study you put into IAS 37 one day prompted by fear, and you are back level par with those that got a C.

That's very true, feel a bit better about it now that's had time to sink in.

Was more just thinking of all the effort but sure, it's not wasted, still all to play for :)

Is it really worth doing the entire FR cases book? Seems like it would take a good few days/week? to work through it all and maybe it goes into too much detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

maninblack wrote: »

I understand the timing in the middle of busy season isnt great but given the horrific paper we got and no matter how much study time we got it wouldnt have made any difference IMO

(Mod edit) - if that's the case report it. Boards.ie take a very dim view of threats, especially in private messages. smcgiff

This clearly never happened. Please stop stirring Dellboy this is not why we are here.

Guys would any of you have a list of disclosures /requirements under company law I.e directors remuneration , directors loan ,resign the audit engagement , directors report and etc. I thought it would be handy to have a page in the exam .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Were would I get the solution for "Specky for eyes"? Its the first case in the strategy toolkit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

Hey guys........FULL METAL JACKET???!!! Can anyone please shed some light on this?? Took me about 4 hours to read the thing. I picked out the direct indicators but i have no idea where to start. It also doesnt say the form we have to use so im assuming a memo to sally and then a separate memo to fancis?

Any help is appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

kenner24 wrote: »
    Hey guys........FULL METAL JACKET???!!! Can anyone please shed some light on this?? Took me about 4 hours to read the thing. I picked out the direct indicators but i have no idea where to start. It also doesnt say the form we have to use so im assuming a memo to sally and then a separate memo to fancis?

Any help is appreciated!

Did this case a few days ago and planned to come back to it but have not yet got around to it.

Thought it was a bit of a disaster alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

What are you all bringing into the mocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

What are you all bringing into the mocks?

My RC :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Me too little pea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Haylcyp wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know what areas need to be covered in the elective that are not in the. Sorry this was probably asked already. Am I right in saying:

the PASE (ES6)
    ISA 220 and ISQC1
    ISA 230
    ISA 570
    ISA 600-group audits

Does anyone know if I am missing anything?

Cheers

You're missing ISA 402 and off the top of my head ISA 600 is examinable at CORE also so is not specific to the elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 biddyboo

Could someone please attach Valentine Nursery Case + Metal Jacket Case and solution for the poor repeaters. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

Would anyone have solutions for Glenn Pets, Ranger displays, Ham Cam or Logic Med please

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

Hi biddyboo I attach Valentines Nursery and Full Metal Jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 24 biddyboo

WeeDeee wrote: »
    Would anyone have solutions for Glenn Pets, Ranger displays, Ham Cam or Logic Med please

Sorry i dont have any of these new cases. If you get stuck for some of last years ones let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sup39

Hey guys, I haven't started studying yet and finding it hard to get motivated cause don't even know where to start..any suggestions? Has everyone on here started studying already? How do ye even find time with work??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fae2014

Just starting also. Don't know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

RC is not a bad result.

Which Derry Cotter book? The AAFRP one like?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Torres999 wrote: »
    Which Derry Cotter book? The AAFRP one like?

It's the Derry Cotter cases in IFRS book, there's another book then for the solutions.

WeeDeee wrote: »

Hey do you still need these solutions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Hey. Just wondering, how beneficial are the mocks?

Is there much point in doing them if i haven't done any cases to date. Its likely that I wouldn't even pick up on the indicators?

• Advertisement

Get to see what the exam hall environment feels like, see what the answer books are like to fill out. Idea of how long it will take you to read the papers and how to use the reading time.

I agree. I've only done a few case studies but from anyone I've spoken to apparently they are a great learning tool. They are marked by the same people that mark the real thing and you will get your script back with comments about your technique etc. I'm not expecting to get anything about a red in anything at this early stage but I think they will be hugely beneficial. If you can do them I would recommend it.

Debs23 wrote: »
    Hey. Just wondering, how beneficial are the mocks?

Is there much point in doing them if i haven't done any cases to date. Its likely that I wouldn't even pick up on the indicators?
    I think even if you didn't do any cases so far it would be beneficial . I will treat mocks as real exams .

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

in relation to the mocks, does anyone know where they are on? The timetable states the RDS but does not specify which part

donnem33 wrote: »
    in relation to the mocks, does anyone know where they are on? The timetable states the RDS but does not specify which part

Main Hall it says on the email we received

• Advertisement
Advertisement