Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Guys, just go, and check in.
    Genuinely. 100 million per cent.
    Not bluffing. You need to be there.

Chartered Accountants Ireland educate future Chartered Accountants, not the CGS.

Is this wrong? Who knows.

You have a policy debate if you want, but you'll be having it with a fail letter in your arse pocket.

Attendances this year have been APPALLING, ye need to go. The session is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

myshirt wrote: »

Chartered Accountants Ireland educate future Chartered Accountants, not the CGS.

You have a policy debate if you want, but you'll be having it with a fail letter in your arse pocket.

Attendances this year have been APPALLING, ye need to go. The session is critical.

Did you choose not to go last year ? I find it strange that your 100% behind this belief. A friend of mine HAS NOT got a Smart phone. How on earth can they track his attendance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

What about those of us that are not on training contracts and do not get the recommend study leave?

They cant punish people for not attending something that they physically cannot go to. Can they?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    I'd say they will be very concerned with who checks in for this and who doesn't. They seem to be obsessed with keeping a record of attendance, although they say it's for the firms benefit.

I work in non big 4, the training partner sent me on an email the institute had sent him that they were very concerned with attendance level generally for FAE etc. My phone didn't have room for the app back in October so I've used the browser log in since, but I was never too concerned if I didn't log in, I was happy with my attendence and I told him this, I think the others at our firm were more or less the same. He sent an email back to the institute saying that the firm was satisfied with everyones attendence and that there were still some issues with the app, (The Galway venue isn't even listed if it can't track your gps).
    This was the week of the Blackwater case day, we had decided we weren't going as we travel 2 hours each way to lectures and asking around the class the day before very few were going, so we weren't going driving down for it only for it to be over after a couple of hours.
    They replied with a fairly snappy email the next week that the app is perfect and a list of students from our office that were absent the weekend before, that they had checked and taken a handwritten attendence for the case day.

Fairly involved of them seeing as it's 'For the firms beneift'. I find it hard to believe they won't be looking at attendance on correcting papers if they are this obsessed with it.
    Why they couldn't just leave it as a sign in sheet I don't know.

They might be concerned but they're not going to penalise students for not attending.

My guess is they want to cover their own ass if results are bad so that they can turn around to the firms and say attendances were poor and we told you already. The less cynical side of me would also say that they want to scare students into attending the majority of lectures so as to produce a better quality of student which would increase their reputation.

As for students not having smartphones, I'd say they are in the slim minority. Also they say you can use the library to log in if you don't have a smartphone. But sure even a basic phone has internet so I don't see what the problem is anyway. Using a paper method in the age of mobile technology is outdated and archaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

I'm out if contract so took the app thing at face value that it was just for the firms and never downloaded it cos I didn't need it. I have attended 95% of the lectures but now there is no record of it except for my attendance at the black water case study day. Will people like me who haven't been using it but going anyway be penalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAE14

I'm out if contract so took the app thing at face value that it was just for the firms and never downloaded it cos I didn't need it. I have attended 95% of the lectures but now there is no record of it except for my attendance at the black water case study day. Will people like me who haven't been using it but going anyway be penalised?

Are you going to take what some random guy off the internet says as the gospel ?

Seriously !

FAE14 wrote: »
    Are you going to take what some random guy off the internet says as the gospel ?

Seriously !

If it's on the internet then it must be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

RichFTW wrote: »
    As for students not having smartphones, I'd say they are in the slim minority. Also they say you can use the library to log in if you don't have a smartphone. But sure even a basic phone has internet so I don't see what the problem is anyway. Using a paper method in the age of mobile technology is outdated and archaic.

I wouldn't be quick to jump to assumptions!

Even if 1 student out of 1000 didn't have one, already that student is at a disadvantage.

Also, I know plenty of people with smartphones that don't bother using them because they ended up spending the first 15 minutes of the lecture trying to pick up a signal/get the link to work etc

If it ain't broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

ASOT2012 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be quick to jump to assumptions!

Even if 1 student out of 1000 didn't have one, already that student is at a disadvantage.

Also, I know plenty of people with smartphones that don't bother using them because they ended up spending the first 15 minutes of the lecture trying to pick up a signal/get the link to work etc

As the saying goes..if it ain't broken...

Well that 1 in 1000 needs to leave the stone age and join us in the future so! Like I said, you can use the library to log in as well if you don't have internet access on your phone. Which is highly unlikely as even a basic Nokia has internet access.

Any time I look around a lecture, practically everyone has a smartphone. And I've never had much trouble with a signal. 15 minutes is an exaggeration now but even it if wasn't, you don't have to stare at the phone all the time. You can just try and start it and leave it on the table until it logs in.

As the saying goes..get with the times or get left behind...

• Advertisement

RichFTW wrote: »
    Well that 1 in 1000 needs to leave the stone age and join us in the future so!

I was thinking the other 999 could chip in and buy him one but that is besides the point...

There is nothing wrong with a pen and a bit of paper and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

If that's true that you get penalised for not attending lectures then exactly 74% of people have attended core lectures every year for the last three years. Believable? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DaUmpire

Folks, in theory does ur level of attendance impact on your exam result-YES in reality-NO compare 2 ppl 1 who never missed a class and the other who never went and stayed at home on a Saturday and covered the work themselves, is the 2nd person any worse off? The institute r trying to cover themselves by recommending students attend. At this stage I think it's about students studying the best way they feel comfortable, some will choose to attend the review others will feel that doing their own study is more beneficial. Btw I attended the audit CGS and would highly recommend them, only I'm based in the north and the cost of getting up and down the road I would do more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Dellboy2007, if I could give you any advice, it is this. Go to the mock review. And when you are there MAKE SURE you check in and check out.

It is absobloodlyhellafuuckinballstothewalllootley CRITICAL that first timers go to the institute course and not an external course where these clash.

Why? What about people who can't go? Is it recorded?

Has anyone got the dates for the mock reviews?

Has anyone got the dates for the mock reviews?

They are next Tuesday and Wednesday Autumnbelle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Core is on Monday and Tuesday, same thing both days

Elective is on Wednesday

Anyone know if these are recorded for people who won't be on study leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

After reading 2 pages of absolute sh*te. Can we keep this on topic with useful stuff and not hearsay over attendance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Anyone have the dates for Galway? Moved home for the summer so not travelling up to Dublin for them when the same thing will be on in Galway!

Guys some of you mentioned going to your masters notes for consolidation and ISA 600. I agree that Sean's notes are confusing. Would any of you possibly be able to post copies of these notes you mentioned please? For those that didn't do the Masters? Would be very grateful! Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

Guys some of you mentioned going to your masters notes for consolidation and ISA 600. I agree that Sean's notes are confusing. Would any of you possibly be able to post copies of these notes you mentioned please? For those that didn't do the Masters? Would be very grateful! Thanks in advance!

I too would be eternally grateful!!

Mark1916 wrote: »
    After reading 2 pages of absolute sh*te. Can we keep this on topic with useful stuff and not hearsay over attendance etc.

If lance Armstrong can get away with cheating in 7 tour de frances then surely I can get away with not going to lectures. AMIRITE?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

If lance Armstrong can get away with cheating in 7 tour de frances then surely I can get away with not going to lectures. AMIRITE?

Did he get away with it though?? (:

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    Did he get away with it though?? (:

The yellow jerseys were just resting in his account

Is it just me or is the mgt accing case study book riddled with mistakes?

Is it just me or is the mgt accing case study book riddled with mistakes?

We should post any errors up as we find them.

Hopefully it will prevent others spending ages trying to figure out what is going on in the solutions!

Hopefully it will prevent others spending ages trying to figure out what is going on in the solutions!

Ok well I have just finished the Varsity plc question and there were a couple of errors in calculating the figures in the budget for year 1. They won't cause any major confusion as it is very obvious they are wrong. It's the marketing variable costs and distribution variable costs. Just for year 1, they are correct otherwise. I've done other cases and found mistakes but can't remember them now. Will post if I come across any more.

Ok well I have just finished the Varsity plc question and there were a couple of errors in calculating the figures in the budget for year 1. They won't cause any major confusion as it is very obvious they are wrong. It's the marketing variable costs and distribution variable costs. Just for year 1, they are correct otherwise. I've done other cases and found mistakes but can't remember them now. Will post if I come across any more.

I started that book two weeks ago and stopped at the Varsity Question as former students were telling me it was a waste of time!!

Why spend ages doing long winded questions when you can revise for anything that comes up in the FAE by reviewing last years notes!

Also the more errors in the book the more time you spend trying to get the solutions right!!

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    I started that book two weeks ago and stopped at the Varsity Question as former students were telling me it was a waste of time!!

Why spend ages doing long winded questions when you can revise for anything that comes up in the FAE by reviewing last years notes!

Also the more errors in the book the more time you spend trying to get the solutions right!!

Really? Good point I guess. So are you just using your SFMA notes so, and the toolkit?

I am covering off each area of management accounting and finance from previous years notes not just last years.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it was Delboy who posted this.

Hitler halfway into the FAEs: http://youtu.be/BGnitlNx5Hc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

Please also notify CAI/CASSI of specific errors so we can get them fixed for next year's edition!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

In the library.....Had to contain my laugh lol

Funny enough, shame it's been done more times than Magaluf girl.

Ah yeah, still funny though.

Hitler was a tax cheat aswell, which didn't help him identity the tax indicators in the exam, and that was basically his downfall, so I believe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2664943/Hitlers-secret-millions-Nazi-leader-dodged-1-75m-tax-charged-royalty-image-used-stamps-new-documentary-claims.html

Ah yeah, still funny though.

Hitler was a tax cheat aswell, which didn't help him identity the tax indicators in the exam, and that was basically his downfall, so I believe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2664943/Hitlers-secret-millions-Nazi-leader-dodged-1-75m-tax-charged-royalty-image-used-stamps-new-documentary-claims.html

At least he didn't cancel 5 concerts in Croke Park

For anyone that has concerns over whether their attendance will impact their result, CASSI have contacted CAI and the below is the response:

"From reading the thread on boards, there is a confusion between three very different items:

1. The Institute actively ‘managing’ pass rates

2. A correlation between attendance and pass rates

3. The use of individual attendance data as part of an adjudication process to determine an individual’s result

To give you some clarity / comfort on these:

1. The Institute does not manage pass rates – we have issued pass rates as high as 96% and as low as 35%. Irrespective of the number of students, those who meet the required standard pass the exam, those who fall below the standard fail.

2. There are correlations between course attendance rates and pass rates. For example, in 2011 we saw a dip in the FAE Audit Elective pass rate. This was primarily driven by an extremely low attendance rate in one centre. Other centres, with the same lecturer and materials, but with higher attendance rates, scored significantly better. There are of course exceptions, but the average student stands a much better chance of passing the exam if they have engaged with the programme.

3. There is absolutely no process whereby an individual’s course attendance record is taken into account when arriving at their exam result. The examinations department is not privy to the course attendance data.

I hope this gives you some comfort – feel free to pass it to anyone you know who may be concerned, and best of luck in the exams. "

Any other concerns give us a shout!

When was the fae 35%? I presume that's the cap 2 overall pass rate. Not really a valid comparison in my eyes.

I think the electives are variable but the core is definitely not.

When was the fae 35%? I presume that's the cap 2 overall pass rate. Not really a valid comparison in my eyes.

I think the electives are variable but the core is definitely not.

Yep that was CAP2, they were just referring to the variation in pass rates overall. They are just trying to emphasise that just because the pass rate has been fairly steady (particularly at core) doesn't mean it won't be higher or lower this year.

• Advertisement

This is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

This is actually brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Abbey14

Hi guys, I have been following for sometime, but have decided to join as I am 4 weeks into study and am still lost!!! I have a quick question, I am doing the 2013 Sims Assignment - DDD Cards, and there is an indicator about "possible use of the corporate website to promote the individual card range" It turns out it is an IMP indicator and not marketing, why is this the case? How will you know on the day then if your marketing indicator came up or not!!!

Abbey14 wrote: »
    website

There's your answer. It's not really asking you to talk about E-marketing. It's asking you specifically about the website.

Abbey, a big thing is that you do not try map the indicators. Deal with the issue as you see it and for what it is.

There's your answer. It's not really asking you to talk about E-marketing. It's asking you specifically about the website.

Context is key here also. The board are of an age profile where they still view the internet as new, hip, and snazzy. The word website signals a 'hot topic'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

Does anyone know whether we have access to the old FAE papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DaUmpire

Anybody attend the cgs on Tuesday & Wednesday? Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

DaUmpire wrote: »

Yeah thought it was excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

DaUmpire wrote: »

Yep. It was really good .

Anyone do the cgs audit elective last year? Any good? All the cgs seem to be decent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement