Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

Hi,

Does anybody know if the audit or business leadership notes from the CGS are worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Philip1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the audit or business leadership notes from the CGS are worth buying?

I'd say stay away from buying them .I think at this stage we have enough notes and cgs notes are no different . Being in the class ,going through them and doing questions in between that's where the real benefit is from doing cgs IMO . Unless you don't have enough material , then it's a different story .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nead23

For those who did BL with CGS this weekend what did you think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I wouldn't buy the material I wouldn't say the notes are detailed enough, it's the lectures that add the value, study leave starts tomorrow. Where to start!

Nead23 wrote: »
    For those who did BL with CGS this weekend what did you think of it?

It was finance / management accounting group 1 this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Nead23

acastudent wrote: »
    It was finance / management accounting group 1 this weekend

BL was on too

Nead23 wrote: »
    BL was on too

Oh really ? Sorry didn't know that . Mine is on Wednesday / Thursday so I assumed it wasn't on this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Was finance/mgt accounting good? I'm going tomorrow. Was at BL this weekend and was disappointed. I didn't find it terribly helpful unfortunately.

Was finance/mgt accounting good? I'm going tomorrow. Was at BL this weekend and was disappointed. I didn't find it terribly helpful unfortunately.

Oh no :( I was relying so much on cgs for BL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How are people 'framing' an answer for BL?

• Advertisement

acastudent wrote: »
    Oh no :( I was relying so much on cgs for BL.

Oh sorry!! You may still find it useful! It just wasn't for me. I've found that before with the more waffly subjects and CGS. I find them better for the technical stuff, personally. But others may have found it useful. The place was packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 heathcliff101

A question on Comp Mock solution, indicator 2 solution page 10..does anyone know how the €400k amount on the below journal was calculated?

Dr Deferred tax asset €400k
    Cr Tax Charge SOCI €400K

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

A question on Comp Mock solution, indicator 2 solution page 10..does anyone know how the €400k amount on the below journal was calculated?

Cr Tax Charge SOCI €400K

Thanks in advance!

In 10pm on Sunday night, seven weeks before the exam!!!

Seriously relax have a beer, watch the world cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Cr Tax Charge SOCI €400K

Thanks in advance!

Had a quick look through this myself last night and I couldn't follow it, nor could I follow the accrual reversal journal which I think was €9K? All I do know is that it's fairly sickening reading through those suggested solutions and if that's what they are looking for in the Final (or anything similar) in order to get C; then overall pass rates will go sharply south based on the AAFRP results so far.

As for the CGS - I found the FMA session this weekend to be really excellent.

How are people splitting out their timing on core comp?

Reading, planning, executing.

And where is the jury on the sims and electives.

Options:
    1. Read the longest, plan it and get writing as soon as invigilator says pen to paper;
    2. Read the three/two in the 30mins, and start your best; plan one by one
    3. Read the three/two, plan all, then write one after other

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

Hi Guys

For those of you who have just started study leave and are doing the CGS grinds etc how are you managing your time? I am in this boat too and am very panicked that there isnt enough time. I'd like to know what the best approach is.

I am not even looking through the mock solutions until i get the scripts back and tbh I think attending the mock review sessions in the Institute without having our scripts back will be a waste of time so I am not going to go to that. Need all the time i can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Anyone know if the Mock exam reviews will be put up online? Not sure if I'll be able to make it on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Anyone know if the Mock exam reviews will be put up online? Not sure if I'll be able to make it on Wednesday

It will be uploaded on 25/07 according to the recordings timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Lads - is there a zip file with all the cases in it yet on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swoggle

Does anyone have the old Multi D papers- BL subjects in particular? Rebecca Greene was saying they were good for Marketing/ Strategy and KPIs per industry.

• Advertisement

swoggle wrote: »
    Does anyone have the old Multi D papers- BL subjects in particular? Rebecca Greene was saying they were good for Marketing/ Strategy and KPIs per industry.

Just go onto this for KPI's and Strategy etc

http://www.ap-institute.com/kpi-library.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Anyone have the 2013 mock paper and solution?

RichFTW wrote: »
    Anyone have the 2013 mock paper and solution?

It's in the student centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

What did people make of the core review? Bit pointless without the scripts.

What did people make of the core review? Bit pointless without the scripts.

I think it was ok, but it would have been better with the scripts.

As Paul said though, logistically it just isn't possible.

I wonder if the Elective review tomorrow will be more detailed technical wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Those who did the FMA cgs, would you recommend skimming over the material before going to the class?

I have mine on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 2014fae

Would anyone recommend the cgs class for fr that has already been?

Debs23 wrote: »
    Those who did the FMA cgs, would you recommend skimming over the material before going to the class?

I have mine on Thursday.

I don't think you need to . Btw I found them really good .

2014fae wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend the cgs class for fr that has already been?

I would recommend it if FR is not one of your strongest subjects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Just gonna throw this out there....anyone else feel completely overwhelmed and not sure if they are going in the right direction :confused::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Just gonna throw this out there....anyone else feel completely overwhelmed and not sure if they are going in the right direction :confused::(

Hard to know, I've been going through the competency statement for the last two weeks going over technical stuff, won't start cases until middle of next week. I have attached the study plan I am on at the moment. I don't think it was worth starting cases without revising over what I did last year. Find it hard to motivate myself to study when its all the same rubbish from last year.

Hard to know, I've been going through the competency statement for the last two weeks going over technical stuff, won't start cases until middle of next week. I have attached the study plan I am on at the moment. I don't think it was worth starting cases without revising over what I did last year. Find it hard to motivate myself to study when its all the same rubbish from last year.

I have a study plan made out too but I feel like I'm going through all the material really fast to ensure I have enough time to spend all of august doing cases, but then I feel like I'm going through it so fast I might as well not be bothering at all :confused:

Never though I'd say this....but give me CAP2 any day of the week :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

Hi all, I've been following this thread for a while now and finding it really useful :)
    Quick question - I'm doing the finance and mgt acc CGS tomorrow but haven't received an email about time, material needed.....can someone please enlighten me???

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

vnervous wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been following this thread for a while now and finding it really useful :)
    Quick question - I'm doing the finance and mgt acc CGS tomorrow but haven't received an email about time, material needed.....can someone please enlighten me???

I'm doing this aswel. They said we do not need to bring anything as they will hand out manuals at the beginning.

Registration is at 9, class 9.30-5

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lydia123

vnervous wrote: »

They give you notes in a booklet, just bring paper and pens etc. Some other courses say to bring past papers but not the fin/mgmt acc one. Ours started at 9.30 at the weekend, just email them to check lorraine.healy at independentcolleges dot ie (I can't post an email address of website!) It's a really good revision course, Liam Doran is an absolute hero!

• Advertisement

Just going to throw this out there, did anyone see the arse on the blonde one who came in late to the mock review. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BigMawn12

Lads - is there a zip file with all the cases in it yet on the website?

Anyone know the answer to this?

BigMawn12 wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this?

If there is I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dohkk

Debs23 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me how to get the figures for direct cost of manufacture in the first indicator of primus pet foods?

Its probably staring me in the face!

Hi Debs,
    The direct cost of production is in the summary income statement.

Have you or anyone else figured out how they got the contribution of €306k in the solution, in the scenario that they accepted the offer?

Thanks

If there is I haven't seen it.

Cheers. That sucks - resitting see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

It is taking forever to revise everything

I still have most of Audit, Tax, Tax Elective, Finance and management accounting to do. I have done a few cases but they are a struggle without revising the technical stuff first and you end up spending ages working on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Feel like I'm going no direction

Feel like I'm going no direction

Sure you can always do it next year. xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ok how did people feel about full metal jacket?? I reckon paul was smoking that crazy stuff writing that case! It was madness!

What is Paul M tipping this year to defo come up? He was right about management last year..

BigMawn12 wrote: »
    What is Paul M tipping this year to defo come up? He was right about management last year..

I think consolidation is his big tip. Hasn't come up yet in the new FAE course...I really hope he's wrong :(

I think consolidation is his big tip. Hasn't come up yet in the new FAE course...I really hope he's wrong :(

Apparently he's been saying that for a few years now.

Little Pea wrote: »
    Ok how did people feel about full metal jacket?? I reckon paul was smoking that crazy stuff writing that case! It was madness!

I hate that case with a passion it is horrendous! I did it before the solutions went up and comparing my solution with his is scary. It took me an hour to read the thing alone and so much irrelevant detail.

I never heard him say that once last year. He also tipped IMP 2 years ago and that was 100%

He's tipping the new ISAs too which tie in with consolidation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement