Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

2014fae wrote: »
    Liam doran at case day said the institute are recommending two hours planning your answer and two hours writing. I didn't hear that before though

Two hours planning?? That sounds excessive and not near enough time. I am a big fan of Liam Doran's but the CGS apparently sent the CAP 2s off on a total tangent this year and told them to cover something that wasn't even on the competency statement.

Important to remember the CGS have nothing to do with the institute. Personally I think 2 hours of writing would not be enough to pass the depth test.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Two hours planning?? That sounds excessive and not near enough time. I am a big fan of Liam Doran's but the CGS apparently sent the CAP 2s off on a total tangent this year and told them to cover something that wasn't even on the competency statement.

Important to remember the CGS have nothing to do with the institute. Personally I think 2 hours of writing would not be enough to pass the depth test.

Actually it is stated in the FAE board report about no evidence of planning in students answers and that it's should be 1:1 planning and writing and that's where Liam got it from...and that students would plan their answers usually do better

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    Actually it is stated in the FAE board report about no evidence of planning in students answers and that it's should be 1:1 planning and writing and that's where Liam got it from...and that students would plan their answers usually do better

But he did say that the exam was not the first place to try this and would have to have practiced this in near exam conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 15 2014fae

I know I think it sounds too short also. I only started studying my audit core today. Anyone got any tips? I have started reading through the standards but think it is waste of time doing notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

In terms of timing,

I work off the following:

30 mins reading time. Get the whole case (s) read highlighting the key points as I go.

1st hour after reading in Comp is planning, getting the key points down. Quick scan through the material.

3 hours then to blast through the indicators like it's a writing marathon.

For sims split that in two. Half an hour planning/key points, then 90 mins x 2.

It seemed to work ok at the mocks I thought. You do have to get a decent plan in place but the sheer volume of material you have to get down, you need three hours.

Aidodub87 wrote: »

I just feel (for me) that 2 hours would not be near enough writing time to get down everything I wanted to but everyone has their own approach. Everyone knows what works for them. And just hope it's enough to get us over the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm spending 20% of time planning and brainstorming.

I'm afraid to up it as my aim is about 400-500 words per indicator. It takes me about 10-12 mins for 200-250 words.

Chap I know did do the 1:1, and was in Decile 1, but the guy's a genius, so I dunno.

I know I think it sounds too short also. I only started studying my audit core today. Anyone got any tips? I have started reading through the standards but think it is waste of time doing notes.

I wouldn't stress over having only started audit.... There is still 5+ weeks left. If we were to go by what the institute recommends we would all only be starting study leave.

Also audit is one of the reaching competent subjects. I am freaking re PM so focussing a lot of my time on FR and Mgt accing. Even though I nailed FR and SFMA for CAP2 I got RC in the AAFRP so I feel like nothing can be taken for granted. So definitely spend time on audit but give it an appropriately weighted amount of time if you know what I mean.

Anybody else really looking forward to a Saturday night, 6 weeks from now where looking at boards will be the absolute last thing on our minds?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

IFRS 1 - surely they wouldn't examine this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

myshirt wrote: »
    IFRS 1 - surely they wouldn't examine this?

Defo!!! Bit of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Liam doran at case day said the institute are recommending two hours planning your answer and two hours writing. I didn't hear that before though

MOD Edit: Stupid Comment removed

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

Is the case day any use in CGS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

No personal comments about individual lecturers are allowed.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Found APM CGS to be very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

Hi- Just wondering did anybody go to the taxgrinds.ie lectures over the weekend and was it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Anyone know where I can find all the mock papers? Cant seem to find the 2010 and 2011 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    MOD Edit: Stupid Comment removed[/B
    ][/how did u find the case sessions?? im considering doing ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

OMG - Full Metal Jackets ??? Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't even understand indicators #6 #7 and #8?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 smiley00

jny107 wrote: »
    OMG - Full Metal Jackets ??? Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't even understand indicators #6 #7 and #8?!

You're not alone there!! Paul Monahan did advise that it was very heavy on PM, more for practice after the AAFRP for those of us who weren't happy with our results. Sent me into a panic last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stopthelights

Hi

Just wondering has anyone sat their FAEs in Athlone? Is it ok - ie. is the venue quiet and tables big enough etc.

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

Is anyone watching the online sessions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

kenner24 wrote: »
    Is anyone watching the online sessions?

I've watched a few but I normally just skip to the end, like any good romance, that's where the action is.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

How is everyone studying management accounting? Just doing cases from the book? I need to hit a c in most of the PM indicators due to a less than impressive AAFRP so need to concentrate a lot on PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

hey guys, does anyone know if the answers to the questions in the tax book and the case in the ethics book are anywere on line?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Haylcyp

Hi Guys,

Can someone please let me know where to find the mock papers for 2012, 2011 and 2010. Also cannot find the 2010 exam paper?

Thanks

Anyone know where I can find all the mock papers? Cant seem to find the 2010 and 2011 ones.

Hi there, did you get an answer to your question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Haylcyp wrote: »
    Hi there, did you get an answer to your question?

There's a new website called google, I reckon it's going to be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CW1989

Hi Guys,

Can someone please let me know where to find the mock papers for 2012, 2011 and 2010. Also cannot find the 2010 exam paper?

Thanks

Hi. The Mock/Exam 2011 and earlier cases are all contained in the self study case book according to the mapping document on the website, so you can't get the actual papers but we have the cases. Do you want me to upload the excel or have you access to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

hi folks - any idea which session ISA 610 is covered or does anybody have a note on it as I can't finding anything on it? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Schickadee

Hi can anyone help me with PM figs in Thorpe case and primus pet foods plse? Thorpe - how are they arriving at contribution margin ratio of 40.83%? Also overall pre tax return 346%? Primus pet foods! Where is avge direct cost in div from Indic 1? And then % of total div contrib as rsv alloc Indic 6? I may come across stupid but given how badly students gen perform in PM I really wish the instit would provide full in depth solutions for students to show how they arrive at the figs as we can spend so long trying to understand how they have arrived at their figures!!!😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dreaming of sunshine

Hi all,

I know this is probably a very simple question but my head is absolutely fried...

How do you get the contribution figures using the year 2 projections of 200 and 400 for HamCam and 30 and 40 for Ham CamO in the solution for indicator 2 of the HamCam cross marking case?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dreaming of sunshine

Tricky1979 wrote: »
    hi folks - any idea which session ISA 610 is covered or does anybody have a note on it as I can't finding anything on it? thanks

Went through all the CAP2 and FAE notes - nothing appears to have been covered in lectures so I imagine it's just a self study one with the standards and the book? That's the worst part of FAE, they don't have to lecture on everything on the Competency Statement, that's why it's crucial you study using it as your guide.

CW1989 wrote: »
    Hi. The Mock/Exam 2011 and earlier cases are all contained in the self study case book according to the mapping document on the website, so you can't get the actual papers but we have the cases. Do you want me to upload the excel or have you access to it?

Thanks for that. I have access to it alright here. I have the mocks printed out myself for those years but thought that they might have been updated for the current year's syllabus in exam format.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

Thanks for that. I have access to it alright here. I have the mocks printed out myself for those years but thought that they might have been updated for the current year's syllabus in exam format.

Thanks again!

could you upload the 2012 mocks if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 frazman007

Schickadee wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help me with PM figs in Thorpe case and primus pet foods plse? Thorpe - how are they arriving at contribution margin ratio of 40.83%? Also overall pre tax return 346%? Primus pet foods! Where is avge direct cost in div from Indic 1? And then % of total div contrib as rsv alloc Indic 6? I may come across stupid but given how badly students gen perform in PM I really wish the instit would provide full in depth solutions for students to show how they arrive at the figs as we can spend so long trying to understand how they have arrived at their figures!!!😞

I answered this query on Thorpe already...go back to my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

How the heck are people studying IMP?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lowenstein

just working my way through the self study cases book, were people saying they are harder than the exam papers or same level? just want to see where peoples heads are at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

lowenstein wrote: »
    just working my way through the self study cases book, were people saying they are harder than the exam papers or same level? just want to see where peoples heads are at!!

I was wondering the exact same. Finding them quite tough!

How many cases have people done so far? I've about 50 done at the moment, I don't know if that's good or bad!

• Advertisement

If i do a solid month of cases for both elective and core. How will i be fixed do u reckon?

ive only done about 15 done but going to start gettin stuck into them for the last month. definately wont have them all done. do you find indicators starting to repeat themselves little pea?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

ive only done about 15 done but going to start gettin stuck into them for the last month. definately wont have them all done. do you find indicators starting to repeat themselves little pea?

Ive only 9 done. Starting to worry now. Are use working under the time limits?

Well I took a different approach to people! I hit cases from the off! kinda regretting it now, live by the sword die by the sword

and the indicators little pea????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

I did my first two cases today :p

Everyone needs to have faith in their own study method! I know that a month of technical material/summarising notes was the best way for me to start. Others know that they would study best by ploughing straight into cases. Don't judge your progress by someone elses because you'll lose confidence!! Chin up, it'll be over before we know it ;)

• Advertisement

and the indicators little pea????

What would you like to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

m1ck007 wrote: »

There are two things I have come to accept I will never understand:

1. How the FAE is marked.
    2. IMP.

There are two things I have come to accept I will never understand:

1. How the FAE is marked.
    2. IMP.

Lol i agree. Scary thing is tho a fella in my office is a real smart lad but he failed his core last year on IMP...

youve done 50 cases and do you find the indicators start to repeat themselves yet? I can be very demanding I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

m1ck007 wrote: »

I would suggest you watch the online sessions and take notes. They are very short so quite manageable and he summarises information well in conjunction with the notes.

I found it well worth the time. After you've done that, it's just about doing the cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement