Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Mock 2013 I think as well

I think Paul has been lining it up two years in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Mayflower I think has it really need to start doing way more cases

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NBA1998

Can someone send me the AAE-' Risks associated with different sectors and audit procedures required' booklet please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

NBA1998 wrote: »
    Can someone send me the AAE-' Risks associated with different sectors and audit procedures required' booklet please?

Can someone attach this please, have never heard of it.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

297478_268524773178023_1074738099_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Edelly

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone had an up to date mind map document for tax? I've last years one alright but just wondering if anyone had an up to date one for the exam this year? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Philip1988 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what cases deal with consolidation apart from the Mock 2014?

Thanks

Lucky Star and Sham Rock i think also

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

What are people bringing into the exam in relation to disclosures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Debs23 wrote: »
    What are people bringing into the exam in relation to disclosures?

Probably bring in the whole album. I think "latch" is a bit overplayed now but "help me lose my mind" would definitely be relevant to the exam. If it all goes completely tits up I'll be putting on "running" and bombing it out of the rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 faedub24

Hi

Has anyone done the Alpha Case - spent all day on it - and still no notion.

Has anyone done the cross marking together - if anyone is interested in doing a case a day and sending them to each other for read and return please be in touch

might be motivation and assurance we one right track!!!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

faedub24 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone done the Alpha Case - spent all day on it - and still no notion.

Has anyone done the cross marking together - if anyone is interested in doing a case a day and sending them to each other for read and return please be in touch

might be motivation and assurance we one right track!!!

Cheers

Where is the alpha one? I would be interested in cross marking!

its the alpha metals case - basically my worst nightmare

I'm new to this so if you wanna send me a private message - we sort something?

faedub24 wrote: »
    its the alpha metals case - basically my worst nightmare

I'm new to this so if you wanna send me a private message - we sort something?

I don't think I've seen that case, is it a past paper/mock etc? As I can tell its not a case study day one or in the self study pack. Will pm you re cross marking now.

Hope you're ok Hun.

Mail xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13 T1990

Quick q folks, am looking for the previous years mocks & solutions, specially 2010 and 2013! may sound like a stupid q but is there a way of searching for em on this that I'm missing? remember Paul saying something about them being on boards..?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

Full metal jacket........ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone else just exhausted by it all at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Little Pea wrote: »
    Anyone else just exhausted by it all at this stage!

Yup, so sick of it! Feel like I'm working my ass off but getting no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

Full metal jacket........ouch!

hear hear!! did it today - took me at a minimum 6 hours - Rainman might have done it quicker!!

sometimes i do wonder what we are being tested on - assimilation of information or accountancy

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Tricky1979 wrote: »
    hear hear!! did it today - took me at a minimum 6 hours - Rainman might have done it quicker!!

sometimes i do wonder what we are being tested on - assimilation of information or accountancy
    6 hours? Jesus, I was going to attempt it tomorrow but not so sure anymore :) is it even worth spending time on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

acastudent wrote: »
    6 hours? Jesus, I was going to attempt it tomorrow but not so sure anymore :) is it even worth spending time on it ?

I spend about an hour at a case. Normally quite quick to admit defeat. Probably not the right way to approach it!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Anyone else feel that Paul Monahans cases are more of a mind puzzle than accountancy related cases

Yes

I have so many issues even with the mocks - its impossible for him to expect us to write two letters and one memo in one exam - plus the context reads - keep it simple - one memo

plus the standard of competent and highly competent are far too advanced

the tax answer in sim two - thats elective standard or standard for someone who has an hour plus per indicator

Help! I feel like I have given up.

Has anyone got some motivating words to give me a push??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GR3YFOXXX

Is the full metal jacket case supposed to be a full 4h core paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

same , sitting here and can't force myself to do anything .

What dark, evil corner of hell did that full metal jacket case escape from, crazy stuff.

Says it all when doing the actual past papers are the light relief cases

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Oscar Pistorius.

"YOLO". Gay Byrne

TheDoctor wrote: »
    What dark, evil corner of hell did that full metal jacket case escape from, crazy stuff.

Says it all when doing the actual past papers are the light relief cases

Makes you wonder what kind of mind Paul has. It's horrific. I'm never looking at it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

qwabercd wrote: »
    I spend about an hour at a case. Normally quite quick to admit defeat. Probably not the right way to approach it!

This is exactly what I do! Read it, pick out the indicators, jot down 2-3 points per indictator, realise I haven't a clue then check the solution!

Pauls answers are generally one above the actual FAE

Paul RC = FAE C etc

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Pauls answers are generally one above the actual FAE

Paul RC = FAE C etc

I agree. I've just finished the self study cases and looking at what it takes to get an RC on some of the audit and tax issues... Much easier to get to RC on them than it is with the steps cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

I've resorted to having a wee lie down after each indicator. Wonder will they mind if I bring in a pillow on exam day..

Alternatively - since we are trying the impossible: http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

Hi would anybody have any good summary notes for Transfer Pricing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 George Huxley 1983

ww.foddy.net/Athletics.html

9metres -> in your face FAE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

anyone know if the answers to the questions in the tax book are available anywhere, states they are available for your lecturer in the text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

anyone know if the answers to the questions in the tax book are available anywhere, states they are available for your lecturer in the text

Yeah they are in the student centre under tax. Solutions to challenging questions is what it is called I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Had a go off Lucky Star- wasn't the worst. Then I did Sham Rock and got to the FR indicator and just left it. I'm thinking of not bothering with the Steps cases. I mean, there's plenty other cases to choose from i.e. the case days, integrated cases, past papers. Might be a better strategy to just do those and go through Derry Cotter's book from front to back?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

So I fractured a bone in my right thumb last week. I'm righthanded and I'm basically f'd for writing in any legible way for the exams. Anybody know if there's any concessions the institute offers in situations like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

JoanH wrote: »
    So I fractured a bone in my right thumb last week. I'm righthanded and I'm basically f'd for writing in any legible way for the exams. Anybody know if there's any concessions the institute offers in situations like this?

Might supply a laptop for you to type solutions instead of writing them. Have heard of this being facilitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

That could work. Thanks Womandriver. I need to get in touch with the Institute asap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Wonder how the boss will take it if i hand in my notice tomorrow after been off for the past 4 weeks ...just been offered a new job starting the 8th (Not in accountancy but what i always wanted to do)!!suppose they'l be looking for the fees back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

TooLate wrote: »
    Wonder how the boss will take it if i hand in my notice tomorrow after been off for the past 4 weeks ...just been offered a new job starting the 8th (Not in accountancy but what i always wanted to do)!!suppose they'l be looking for the fees back :(

Jealous

Why would you ever want to leave accou......

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

TooLate wrote: »

You lucky f#%k. Take that and run. Even if u get these exams you are basically qualified to work In one of the most boring jobs on this planet.

What is Paul Monahan on when he is writing these cases up ?

Lucky star - and Shamrock today ... mental !!!

Think I'm finished with cases now - getting noting out of them

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing! I feel like I should maybe just go back to doing technical work cos I've done so many cases now and don't feel like I've got much benefit from them come the end of the day.

Are you just going to start revising the ISAs, IFRS', tax, mgt accing etc again? Kind of lost now as to the best way to approach the last few weeks.

Are the past papers useful?

Are the past papers useful?

dunno :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ekels wrote: »
    Had a go off Lucky Star- wasn't the worst. Then I did Sham Rock and got to the FR indicator and just left it. I'm thinking of not bothering with the Steps cases. I mean, there's plenty other cases to choose from i.e. the case days, integrated cases, past papers. Might be a better strategy to just do those and go through Derry Cotter's book from front to back?

Nah, with the Steps ones you get to listen to Paul telling you how great this case is and about all the other great cases he's written. Could listen to that all day.

Not even joking, his voice is soothing me into a dangerous state of complacency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement