Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Little Pea wrote: »
    What is Paul Monahan on when he is writing these cases up ?

Lucky star - and Shamrock today ... mental !!!

Think I'm finished with cases now - getting noting out of them

Completely agreed. I'm finishing up on cases completely (including AAE) effective next weekend and reverting entirely to one last sweep of the technical material. I still find that I'm not picking up the suggested solution content on my own 'trial' of the cases which is a real worry.

Does anybody know if the DeVere Steps solution went up? Last time I checked it wasn't...

In some ways I feel that I know less now than I did at the end of June after only a few weeks of study back then!

LOccitane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Sweet - just found out I passed P1, P2 & P3 ACCA exams I sat in June there as a backup plan! Less pressure for FAEs now. If I fail FAEs again, 2 more ACCA exams to pass and I'm on my merry way. Get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

LOccitane wrote: »
    Completely agreed. I'm finishing up on cases completely (including AAE) effective next weekend and reverting entirely to one last sweep of the technical material. I still find that I'm not picking up the suggested solution content on my own 'trial' of the cases which is a real worry.

Does anybody know if the DeVere Steps solution went up? Last time I checked it wasn't...

In some ways I feel that I know less now than I did at the end of June after only a few weeks of study back then!

LOccitane

In my opinion this is a mistake. The more cases you do, the more comfortable you will become with them. At the end of the day when you go in to the exam hall, It's a case study that will be in front if you.
    Technique on the day will be very important and that's something you can only develop by doing cases. You're also absorbing stuff from the cases as you're doing them possibly without realising.

Maybe split your time between technical material and cases but don't give up on cases altogether.

Just my opinion as someone who passed the CORE last year but failed the elective. I can honestly say the difference between the CORE and the elective for me was practising cases and specifically that I hadn't enough elective cases covered because I didn't have time to cover them. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

In my opinion this is a mistake. The more cases you do, the more comfortable you will become with them. At the end of the day when you go in to the exam hall, It's a case study that will be in front if you.
    Technique on the day will be very important and that's something you can only develop by doing cases. You're also absorbing stuff from the cases as you're doing them possibly without realising.

Maybe split your time between technical material and cases but don't give up on cases altogether.

Just my opinion as someone who passed the CORE last year but failed the elective. I can honestly say the difference between the CORE and the elective for me was practising cases and specifically that I hadn't enough elective cases covered because I didn't have time to cover them. Just my 2 cents.

Many thanks for that WD :-)

Did you also sit the Audit Elective last year? Personally I find the Elective to be more contingent upon pure technical knowledge in terms of the 'easiness or not' of the Paper relative to the CORE which can be some general verbiage on anything - but that might be just me.

Can I ask - How many Elective cases had you done prior to the Final last year?

LOccitane

LOccitane wrote: »
    Many thanks for that WD :-)

Did you also sit the Audit Elective last year? Personally I find the Elective to be more contingent upon pure technical knowledge in terms of the 'easiness or not' of the Paper relative to the CORE which can be some general verbiage on anything - but that might be just me.

Can I ask - How many Elective cases had you done prior to the Final last year?

LOccitane

Hope it didn't sound preachy or anything, wasn't intended like that.

Yeah I sat the audit elective last year and failed it. I don't really know how many elective cases I'd done but to be honest the ones I had done, I hadn't done them properly, it was mostly just throwing an eye over them and straight to the solution because I was tight for time.

I spent a fair bit of time on the theory for it tho and I genuinely felt I had a good grasp of it ( maybe I was deluded) but on the day my technique let me down eg. For audit report question I made assumption of what the outcome would be and explained the impact on audit report for that outcome but from doing cases now I know they want you to cover all potential outcomes and impacts of each one eg. indicator 3 in the steps case Ace Physio.

It's true that anything can come up in the core, it's a horrible exam, but all you can do on the day is work with what's in the case as best you can and in my opinion having worked though other cases, and worked through those, whether you come up with the sample solution or not, is better preparation than just covering endless technical material, 99% of which you won't use on the day of the exam.

You don't have to come up with an identical solution to the sample one to pass the exam either so don't let the solutions dishearten you. It's doable.

Hope it didn't sound preachy or anything, wasn't intended like that.

Yeah I sat the audit elective last year and failed it. I don't really know how many elective cases I'd done but to be honest the one I had done, I hadn't done them properly, it was mostly just throwing an eye over them and straight to the solution because I was tight for time.

I spent a fair bit of time on the theory for it tho and I genuinely felt I had a good grasp of it ( maybe I was deluded) but on the day my technique let me down eg. For audit report question I made assumption if what the outcome would be and explained the impact in audit report for that outcome but from doing cases now I know try want you to cover all potential outcomes and impacts of each one eg. indicator 3 in the steps case Ace Physio.

It's true that anything can come up in the core, it's a horrible exam, but all you can do on the day is work with what's in the case as best you can and in my opinion have worked though other cases, and worked through those, whether you come up with the sample solution it not, is better preparation than just covering endless technical material, 99% of which you won't use on the day of the exam.

You don't have to come up with an identical solution to the sample one to pass the exam either so don't let the solutions dishearten you. It's doable.

Apologies for typos, typing on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

The one thing that i learnt from this exam process , that no one way is correct to study. Everyone is different - Some people covered cases , some people did a lot of theory and others a balance.

It is what every works for the individual at the end of the day. We have all put the work in , in our own way .

For me the learning that comes with the cases has stopped.
    I feel that the final two weeks will be better spent on technical material / NOT THEORY and filling the gaps that the cases and in particular Paul Monahan has left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Has anyone got any good notes on consolidations that they can share, please? I've just been working from Derry Cotter's but wondering if the CGS ones etc were any good? Thanks!

Little Pea wrote: »
    The one thing that i learnt from this exam process , that no one way is correct to study. Everyone is different - Some people covered cases , some people did a lot of theory and others a balance.

It is what every works for the individual at the end of the day. We have all put the work in , in our own way .

For me the learning that comes with the cases has stopped.
    I feel that the final two weeks will be better spent on technical material / NOT THEORY and filling the gaps that the cases and in particular Paul Monahan has left out.

Absolutely, as I had said, just my opinion. Whatever works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Sweet - just found out I passed P1, P2 & P3 ACCA exams I sat in June there as a backup plan! Less pressure for FAEs now. If I fail FAEs again, 2 more ACCA exams to pass and I'm on my merry way. Get in.

That's actually mad... Why didn't I think of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    That's actually mad... Why didn't I think of that

And me....

How much were the fees Ron?

Well done on that Ron - tough ask with a full time job and no study leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Schickadee

Hi guys jus got my mock feedback today, it says there's no evidence of planning? I'm confused are we supposed to plan our answers in the answer booklet even though u can't write in them til reading time is up? Plse help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Just wondering, Sean Murray is always on about hats and putting on your auditors hat, etc. Question:

1) do we get these on the way into the RDS

I've been looking on done deal for the last week but haven't seen any. Could anyone who is repeating please give us a heads up on this?

Also, the girl who does the tax lectures, what's the story with her, is she single like?

Full metal jacket!!!! Wtf!

• Advertisement

Schickadee wrote: »
    Full metal jacket!!!! Wtf!

Why are people getting so worked up over this? It's a 1987 war film directed and produced by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay by Kubrick, Michael Herr and Gustav Hasford was based on Hasford's 1979 novel The Short-Timers. The film stars Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey, Dorian Harewood, Arliss Howard, Kevyn Major Howard and Ed O'Ross. The story follows a platoon of U.S. Marines through their training and the experiences of two of the platoon's Marines in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War. The film's title refers to the full metal jacket bullet used by infantry riflemen. The film was released in the United States on June 26, 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Schickadee wrote: »
    Hi guys jus got my mock feedback today, it says there's no evidence of planning? I'm confused are we supposed to plan our answers in the answer booklet even though u can't write in them til reading time is up? Plse help

Thank you! I can't see how you are supposed to wait 30 mins to plan an answer. Already well into planning at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Thank you! I can't see how you are supposed to wait 30 mins to plan an answer. Already well into planning at that stage

I highlight the issues on the exam as I am reading it first time around. Then I read it a second time and write the issues (big & small) on my own paper.

After the 30 mins reading time is up I have a long list of issues. As they are all on one page I try spot which are the indicators and then write them into the book crossing them off as I do so.

Then I look at what issues are left and how I can incorporate them into the other indicators.

I did this in the mocks and my feedback said that I had planned very well. Unfortunately it was the only good feedback I got!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 George Huxley 1983

Agree with both. Seems a waste of time to me to again write out your plan again so that it is in the booklet. For no marks I might add. It's not as if we've got time to spare

FMJ All I'm saying Is I doubt there's a qualified cima management accountant that cud tackle that one without frustration!!!! Dellboy I appreciate the humour but too depressed to give a smart answ back!lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

How do ppl determine if an indicator is finance or strategy? Alot of the financial analysis seem to be down as strategy indicators

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Why are people getting so worked up over this? It's a 1987 war film directed and produced by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay by Kubrick, Michael Herr and Gustav Hasford was based on Hasford's 1979 novel The Short-Timers. The film stars Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey, Dorian Harewood, Arliss Howard, Kevyn Major Howard and Ed O'Ross. The story follows a platoon of U.S. Marines through their training and the experiences of two of the platoon's Marines in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War. The film's title refers to the full metal jacket bullet used by infantry riflemen. The film was released in the United States on June 26, 1987.

My god you try so hard to be funny. Do we have to put up with another 4 weeks of your really **** 'jokes'

laser08 wrote: »
    My god you try so hard to be funny. Do we have to put up with another 4 weeks of your really **** 'jokes'

Stop trying to be hard, you'll never be half the man your mother is you dry-sh1te keyboard warrior.

Left the actual papers and gone back to a mock paper

Paul is one sick individual

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Left the actual papers and gone back to a mock paper

Paul is one sick individual

I have been doing all self study case studies, are the actual exam papers that bit easier??

Did all the case days and the integrated case studies then went to the actual papers

The answers required in the actual papers aren't anywhere near as much as Pauls cases

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    I have been doing all self study case studies, are the actual exam papers that bit easier??

I thought so but then I looked at core comp 2012 today and thought that was tricky enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 PeteF

Philip1988 wrote: »
    Hi would anybody have any good summary notes for Transfer Pricing?

Hi Philip,

I've added a Transfer Pricing note to the Business Leadership notes on Chartered Education. You can see a small preview from our Facebook page.

- Pete
    Chartered Education

ft3Lj9T.gif

Lol love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 bonni

Did all the case days and the integrated case studies then went to the actual papers

The answers required in the actual papers aren't anywhere near as much as Pauls cases

Do you mind if I ask how much time it took you to do all of that? I feel like I am running out of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

PeteF wrote: »
    Hi Philip,

I've added a Transfer Pricing note to the Business Leadership notes on Chartered Education. You can see a small preview from our Facebook page.

- Pete
    Chartered Education

Hi - can somebody post this on boards or where is Chartered Education?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

bonni wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask how much time it took you to do all of that? I feel like I am running out of time..

Well you have three weeks left not three months

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Every day I wake up with hope , today maybe will be a day when it all come together . Didn't happen just yet ....

Quick question though do you guys time yourself when doing cases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

acastudent wrote: »
    Every day I wake up with hope , today maybe will be a day when it all come together . Didn't happen just yet ....

Quick question though do you guys time yourself when doing cases ?

Haven't yet but planning on doing that next week using my timing with indicators c22-23 mins per indicator and make adjustments if needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

acastudent wrote: »

I too am waiting for this day...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

PeteF wrote: »
    Hi Philip,

- Pete
    Chartered Education

Would somebody mind posting this up here or PM it to me please??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

For anyone who has done Mechelec case in he integrated pack - can you tell me how they got figures for capex in the DCF? And also the opening increase in WC of 4,382??
    Almost convinced they have pulled this from their @rse!

jny107 wrote: »
    Would somebody mind posting this up here or PM it to me please??

It's on this website: http://www.charterededucation.com/

You have to pay to access the materials.

• Advertisement

It's on this website: http://www.charterededucation.com/

You have to pay to access the materials.

The management accounting notes are only €9, they are well worth the (small) investment in my opinion, seen as we never got decent notes at CAP 2 or FAE level.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

jny107 wrote: »
    For anyone who has done Mechelec case in he integrated pack - can you tell me how they got figures for capex in the DCF? And also the opening increase in WC of 4,382??
    Almost convinced they have pulled this from their @rse!

The CAPEX figure is just depreciation (they made that assumption) and I couldn't figure out the opening increase in WC

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tomboy42

Hey would anyone have the 2013 mock papers and solutions for the core and the sims?

I had it on a usb but now can't find the USB and it's no longer in the student centre as it's been replaced by the 2014 mocks.

It's stressing me out!

Any help would be major appreciated.

I Do like how any case where the accounts have been prepared by XYZ public Accountants, there are always errors

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

I Do like how any case where the accounts have been prepared by XYZ public Accountants, there are always errors

They will never be as good as Paul Monohon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Well today was a total disaster. How are any of you laying out your tax folder

• Advertisement

Strange alright.... hmmmmm....

It's all in the acronyms...

ACA - A Chartered Accountant
    ACCA - A Crap Chartered Accountant
    CPA - Car Park Attendant

For those of you that may be a bit young to remember, ACA and CPA were talking about merging at one stage. I was in the law game at the time. There were some persons in a certain influential firm who were absolutely hopping off the walls about the idea was the story; apparently some headbutts nearly thrown at meetings...

For one reason or another, didn't go ahead....

So I do think there is a view out there, that at least some level of bad sentiment exists towards CPA by some FCA's; but as regards Paul and his cases, I wouldn't read that much in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Myshirt you make me laugh on this thread :) very much needed today :)

myshirt wrote: »
    Strange alright.... hmmmmm....

It's all in the acronyms...

ACA - A Chartered Accountant
    ACCA - A Crap Chartered Accountant
    CPA - Car Park Attendant

For those of you that may be a bit young to remember, ACA and CPA were talking about merging at one stage. I was in the law game at the time. There were some persons in a certain influential firm who were absolutely hopping off the walls about the idea was the story; apparently some headbutts nearly thrown at meetings...

For one reason or another, didn't go ahead....

So I do think there is a view out there, that at least some level of bad sentiment exists towards CPA by some FCA's; but as regards Paul and his cases, I wouldn't read that much in to it.

Do you think CIA were behind 9-11 also by any chance?

Do you think CIA were behind 9-11 also by any chance?

Ah chill man, just joshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

regarding IMP as it is the last year as one of the super 6 do you think it would be enough just to cover past questions for the exam and it would seem unlikely that they would ask something overly difficult in this area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement