Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Anyone else receive comments about their handwriting in the mocks? Is it worth using alternating lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Ekels wrote: »
    Anyone else receive comments about their handwriting in the mocks? Is it worth using alternating lines?

Yes I did in audit , it said that my 'handwriting was very hard to read'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Ekels wrote: »

I also did in the audit elective, hard to read also.

Knew myself it was messy on the day but hadn't written that much or that fast in such a long time that I was out of practice and just trying to get everything down on the page.

Hopefully with doing cases prior to exam it will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

I also did in the audit elective, hard to read also.

Knew myself it was messy on the day but hadn't written that much or that fast in such a long time that I was out of practice and just trying to get everything down on the page.

Hopefully with doing cases prior to exam it will improve.

The cheek!! I could hardly read the comments on my exam paper the examiners writing was so bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Edelly

Has anyone reached the "alleluia" day yet where everything is starting to come together?? Three weeks to go and I don't feel anyway near close to being ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Edelly wrote: »
    I really dislike this idea of paying for these notes especially as the guy who runs the chartered education site had the cheek to read this thread where students are panicking about notes. This guy realises this, announces he has notes if you pay for them and is earning a quick buck off our insecurities. I just find it rude- the thread is for students to help one another out not for some guy to make a few euros on. I just find it in bad taste but that's my opinion.

Bet any money you bought them and are just trying to stop others from getting them so you have one up on them! Sly...

And you're wrong, this thread is a counselling support group for people to vent, and also discuss Paul monahan's psychic abilities.

Bet any money you bought them and are just trying to stop others from getting them so you have one up on them! Sly...

And you're wrong, this thread is a counselling support group for people to vent, and also discuss Paul monahan's psychic abilities.

How did you guess that that was what I was at?!!! You got me!! 😱 haha!

How did you guess that that was what I was at?!!! You got me!! 😱 haha!

The irony is that you've created more attention around it now and more people have probably bought them. Nice going delly belly welly.

The irony is that you've created more attention around it now and more people have probably bought them. Nice going delly belly welly.

Sure that was the plan.....did I not mention I was working for the chartered education guys??!! Hahahaha!

Sure that was the plan.....did I not mention I was working for the chartered education guys??!! Hahahaha!

Sweet sassy molassy, we've been double bluffed. Well p1ss on my back and tell me it's raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

b1g75.jpg
    b1g75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

:confused::eek:
    Has anyone reached the "alleluia" day yet where everything is starting to come together?? Three weeks to go and I don't feel anyway near close to being ready!
    Still waiting! Folders useless and so much cases and theory to cover, could do with 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Nope, not even close.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

3 weeks out and I have barely looked at any cases :( Think I have pretty good folders for the exams though and will do a few cases over the next couple of weeks and hope for the best!

How are you organising folders irish ranger?

How are you organising folders irish ranger?

I got summary notes for most subjects from a friend of mine that done the exams last year. So I have one folder (fairly small) with these notes, read/tabbed/highlighted. Then I have a separate folder with summary notes of the IAS/IFRS which I have tabbed but not looked at much yet (FR is a strong area for me). Finally I have a tax folder with summary notes/lecture slide and masters notes all together because I'm brutal at tax!

So all in all, 3 folders, none of them overly full but I think they cover most things. I bought the 9 euro management accounting notes and to be honest they were just a repetition of the summary notes my friend gave me just laid out differently.

Very worried at my lack of cases though and think this could cause me to fail :( Anyone else done very few cases? (like 5-10)

Very worried at my lack of cases though and think this could cause me to fail :( Anyone else done very few cases? (like 5-10)

I've only done 11 cases so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NBA1998

Has anyone done a summary of all the indicators in AAE cases questions given? Not the past papers, mocks and sample cases. If so please post up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I've only done 11 cases so far!
    your joking ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 faedub24

Why is that funny? i haven't done that many either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

Has anybody got any APM related notes?

faedub24 wrote: »
    Why is that funny? i haven't done that many either

Everyone studies differently! It's not a contest as to who as the most cases done. Take no heed about what others have done!

What have people been doing if not cases ?

Little Pea wrote: »
    What have people been doing if not cases ?

On boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

your joking ??

I've spent a lot of time working through technical material. Only started cases last week! To be honest I'm not worried, I am happy with my study method, it works for me.

I've spent a lot of time working through technical material. Only started cases last week! To be honest I'm not worried, I am happy with my study method, it works for me.

The only reason I'm worried about not having done cases is the technique of doing them. I still think I can pick this up from now doing a few cases but mainly technical stuff for me as well and making sure I have solid notes that I know my way around. This is what works for me (or at least I hope it does)

As I have always said everyone is different with regards to study and no on way is right .

Do you find that covering the technical material in detail is helping with the cases ?

As I have always said everyone is different with regards to study and no on way is right .

Do you find that covering the technical material in detail is helping with the cases ?

I think it does because once I am presented with an indicator I am quick enough to flag the right relief/ISA/IAS/model to use. I am using cases purely for exam technique, I don't feel they are improving my technical knowledge a whole lot.

BUT, as I have said 100 times, this works for ME.

• Advertisement

I tried doing cases at the start like everyone suggests and found I was getting very little out of it so honestly I haven't done a case in 3-4 weeks as I have been getting the folders together/covering technical stuff so I couldn't tell you.

Honestly, I have only been studying since after the mocks so I'm probably not the best person to ask :P I can't study with months left, I work better to pressure when it comes to study. For the AAFRP I only done 4 days study before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nothin but the Truth

I tried doing cases at the start like everyone suggests and found I was getting very little out of it so honestly I haven't done a case in 3-4 weeks as I have been getting the folders together/covering technical stuff so I couldn't tell you.

Honestly, I have only been studying since after the mocks so I'm probably not the best person to ask :P I can't study with months left, I work better to pressure when it comes to study. For the AAFRP I only done 4 days study before it.

Yes its true that every1 studies differently but there must be a reason why the people who fail these FAEs mention that there one regret is not doin more cases and every lecture and course director in CAI encourage students to do cases over technical material. There is a point where cases become useless as you inevtiably get what you need from doin cases but that point is not after 10 cases or so, its more like 40-50 cases. 70%-75% of people will pass this thing so many different study techniques will work but statistically speaking the 25%-30% who fail, fail as a result of poor exam technique as a result of not doin enough cases.

Yes its true that every1 studies differently but there must be a reason why the people who fail these FAEs mention that there one regret is not doin more cases and every lecture and course director in CAI encourage students to do cases over technical material. There is a point where cases become useless as you inevtiably get what you need from doin cases but that point is not after 10 cases or so, its more like 40-50 cases. 70%-75% of people will pass this thing so many different study techniques will work but statistically speaking the 25%-30% who fail, fail as a result of poor exam technique as a result of not doin enough cases.

I hear you! Honestly, I always get a little worried as exams approach but I've never felt so much like I'm gonna fail as I do with these. I think that I didn't give study enough time and have somewhat thought out that if I fail I can always repeat next year so we'll see!

I hear you! Honestly, I always get a little worried as exams approach but I've never felt so much like I'm gonna fail as I do with these. I think that I didn't give study enough time and have somewhat thought out that if I fail I can always repeat next year so we'll see!

I have never felt so much like I'm gonna fail exams either!!

Anyway, for those freaking out about cases, still 20 days left, at 2 cases a day there is still plenty time to get the 40-50 cases done if you feel that is how many you need to do!

This is exam is a all about approach and technique and I don't think you will learn that by memorizing the Dury book / Connelly Book.

I would be interested to see how you answer cases now that you have spent 1/2 months on technical ?

I would be interested to see how you answer cases now that you have spent 1/2 months on technical ?

jerry-jerry-jerry.gif

• Advertisement

This is exam is a all about approach and technique and I don't think you will learn that by memorizing the Dury book / Connelly Book.

I haven't looked at any books apart from the tax book! I spent the last 4-5 weeks that I was actually studying getting summary notes on topics together (not ones I wrote), highlighting, tabbing these and cutting what wasn't needed. I have a few bits on everything so I didn't waste time studying things I'm never gonna get down in an exam. My notes are all brief summaries/one word that can spark off something to write about in the exam. I think this is going to be the most important to me on the day and the technique I hope to build up over the next couple of weeks.

I have never felt so much like I'm gonna fail exams either!!

Anyway, for those freaking out about cases, still 20 days left, at 2 cases a day there is still plenty time to get the 40-50 cases done if you feel that is how many you need to do!

Your never goin to feel ready for these exams as you cannot study everything in detail like previous exams, its just who prepares the best and can think on their feet on the day. You do need to get a good few more cases done before the 2nd Sept as exam technique is an invaluable skill which is needed to pass these exams.

Ugh, I'm not going to get into this back and forth. I haven't studied everything chapter by chapter, I have reviewed my summary notes from last year, refreshed my mind on key topics etc. I received a comment on my mock paper that I had good planning and answering technique but need to brush up on my technical knowledge, which I knew before sitting the mock and which is what I did. I am happy with my study technique, it has worked fine up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Have people who have done 40-50 cases actually sat down, timed themselves and done the case without looking at the solution though?

Reading a case and then flicking to the solution would be more like revising technical material with a bit of technique used in identifying the indicators. 10 cases is more than enough to nail down a technique using a set structure under timed circumstances. Reading the rest of the cases to practice picking out indicators could be done then once your answering technique is perfected.

You would want to get started on cases I'd say but still loads of time left so no need to panic.

I'm auditing solutions as still can't answer the indicators

• Advertisement

RichFTW wrote: »
    Have people who have done 40-50 cases actually sat down, timed themselves and done the case without looking at the solution though?

Reading a case and then flicking to the solution would be more like revising technical material with a bit of technique used in identifying the indicators. 10 cases is more than enough to nail down a technique using a set structure under timed circumstances. Reading the rest of the cases to practice picking out indicators could be done then once your answering technique is perfected.

You would want to get started on cases I'd say but still loads of time left so no need to panic.

No its impossible to do 40-50 cases fully, if you did then its just a waste of time. The best thing to do is to fully do out the most important cases (exams and steps cases) and plan out answers using bullet points for the rest. Yes this a way of revising technical material while pickin up technique. Do people not learn best from their past experiences? Like in our jobs we learn by doing and learning from our mistakes. If some1 gave me a handbook on how to perform an audit, I think I wud still be reading it. Our cases are our past experiences and we shud learn from them.

Ugh, I'm not going to get into this back and forth. I haven't studied everything chapter by chapter, I have reviewed my summary notes from last year, refreshed my mind on key topics etc. I received a comment on my mock paper that I had good planning and answering technique but need to brush up on my technical knowledge, which I knew before sitting the mock and which is what I did. I am happy with my study technique, it has worked fine up until now.

I sincerely wish you the best :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

No its impossible to do 40-50 cases fully, if you did then its just a waste of time. The best thing to do is to fully do out the most important cases (exams and steps cases) and plan out answers using bullet points for the rest. Yes this a way of revising technical material while pickin up technique. Do people not learn best from their past experiences? Like in our jobs we learn by doing and learning from our mistakes. If some1 gave me a handbook on how to perform an audit, I think I wud still be reading it. Our cases are our past experiences and we shud learn from them.

That's what I'm saying, people who say they have 50 cases done more than likely don't. I'm saving the steps cases and past mocks to do under exam pressure from this week on so I can nail down technique and timing. I have used the other cases to practice picking out indicators and add to my summary notes as part of my technical revision.

I think timing is the key in your answering technique, not picking out the indicators. As the lectures said, students rarely missed indicators.

I would imagine people do learn best from their past experiences, ya. Timing kicked me ass on more than one occasion in CAP2 so I'm putting more of an emphasis on that myself. I'm pretty confident 10 ish cases will be enough to do that, not 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

Anybody on here doing apm? PM if you are

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I know that no amount of technical knowledge will help you answer some of the cases.

RichFTW wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying, people who say they have 50 cases done more than likely don't. I'm saving the steps cases and past mocks to do under exam pressure from this week on so I can nail down technique and timing. I have used the other cases to practice picking out indicators and add to my summary notes as part of my technical revision.

I think timing is the key in your answering technique, not picking out the indicators. As the lectures said, students rarely missed indicators.

I would imagine people do learn best from their past experiences, ya. Timing kicked me ass on more than one occasion in CAP2 so I'm putting more of an emphasis on that myself. I'm pretty confident 10 ish cases will be enough to do that, not 50.

I dnt think 10 cases would be enough as u need to see many different companies, industries and scenarios to fully understand on how to best approach the case in the exams. I dnt think timing will be much of a problem if u plan well. The exam standard answers are short and sweet, max 2 pages and thats an absolute max. Timing only becomes a problem when u start to panic and delve into notes and forget to use the info in the case to answer indicators.

Does anyone have the marked up student solutions for 2013? I only have the previous ones.

(the ones where they transcribe student solutions and put in comments on why it failed/passed)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

This exam will not be passed by technical knowledge alone, you need to be able to apply your knowledge to a given scenario and you will only learn by seeing as many of those scenarios as possible

This is me trying to read the case study

k5qfR3F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kenner24

TooLate wrote: »
    Wonder how the boss will take it if i hand in my notice tomorrow after been off for the past 4 weeks ...just been offered a new job starting the 8th (Not in accountancy but what i always wanted to do)!!suppose they'l be looking for the fees back :(

Omg thats the dream!!! I spend more time looking for jobs atm than studying! Whats the new job??

Fees shmees....!

• Advertisement
Advertisement