Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I'd say no chance mick, too detailed. Notifications for exams are out .... Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

Email with FAE exam number just arrived... Sh*t just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Seat number includes two 6s . Bad luck already started :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Philip1988

Anybody else finding it difficult to see where a lot of the figures in solutions are coming from?

Quick question about the corp gov code, ned's have to put themselves forward for reelection if they are on the board >9 years. Does the timeframe for exec directors chair or CEO matter? Or is it irrelevant if they are working for the company

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Guys and girls, the FAE 2014 Exam Regulations were just emailed and for those looking for some light hearted relief; see the following:

17. Smoking and the consumption of alcohol is not prohibited in the examination hall at all times.

Now while I had planned on a few stiff drinks for the evening of the 4th September, this seems to be suggesting the possibility of such in the exam...

That's the kind of typo that I don't think you'd even get RC with...!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Anyone finding the suggested times on the self study cases impossible, did a case called Quancore with a suggested time of 100 mins, takes over 30 mins to read the thing, 100 mins is a joke

LOccitane wrote: »
    Guys and girls, the FAE 2014 Exam Regulations were just emailed and for those looking for some light hearted relief; see the following:

17. Smoking and the consumption of alcohol is not prohibited in the examination hall at all times.

Now while I had planned on a few stiff drinks for the evening of the 4th September, this seems to be suggesting the possibility of such in the exam...

Lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

When the BIG BAD Management Accounting indicators come up !!! You might need a whiskey or two !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

Nerves kicking in big time. 2 weeks to go, and some indicators are still flying straight over my head on these Steps cases.

The steps cases are unrealistically hard... right..... RIGHT?????

Nerves kicking in big time. 2 weeks to go, and some indicators are still flying straight over my head on these Steps cases.

maninblack wrote: »

Gave up on step cases last week . Just couldn't do them ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Lads, you can't also bring in calculators which need their own power outlet in the wall.

Just a heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

I'll be packing the hip flask so!

Grand to know we can all have a few drinks to calm the nerves!!! Fae party in the rds on the Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Another brilliant day of wondering what the hell was going on!

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Another brilliant day of wondering what the hell was going on!

Story of the past few weeks, roll on two weeks to get back to normality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Has anyone done the audit report questions from Core audit lecture 9 and 10? (Relevant to both core and AAE) The last question in the pack of questions for that lecture Tex Limited, in the solution under taxation issue is a paragraph about material uncertainty, "in determining whether an uncertainty is material the auditor must consider a, b and c..."

Can anyone tell me what standard this para relates to? Can't seem to find it. Also the bit above it, "events which are not under the direct control of the entity"

Seems to be from the same standard but I just can't see where it's taken from.

Thanks.

Does anyone know anything on this? :( Sounds like it relates to ISA 540 but can't see it in the standard.

Does anyone know anything on this? :( Sounds like it relates to ISA 540 but can't see it in the standard.

Is it ISA 570 para 17 to 24?

Is it ISA 570 para 17 to 24?

I thought it was but there's no reference in ISA 570 (that I can see anyway)to the outcome of the uncertainty being under the control of the entity/outside the control of the entity as per the solution to this question.

Also the part about the estimate being subject to change etc. can't see where it's coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 heathcliff101

Has anyone tried Brilliant Bee 2011 Mock Comp? Case seems to be riddled with Corp Gov (dominant individual, clear shareholder factions, Co considering listing and not nearly compliant with corp gov code etc..), and clearly an ethical issue (on secondment from an advisory practice to client and client offers to buy a company you run on the side in exchange for shares in client)....and not a mention of either in the solution? Also, client raises a concern about a strategic issue and also never dealt with........I had 11 indicators picked out and knew something was wrong!!

Just after doing the Full Metal Jacket case..

The Financial Reporting adjustments (the background workings rather than the journals) are just sickening and if CAI expect that students would compute 2/3 of those (to get competent according to solution) accurately under exam conditions then I'm lost for words...

Also, the indicator in the case asked for Strategic Risks to be addressed and instead Financial Risks were addressed in the solution...!

This is the Leathers of Ireland question.

It's a challenging one, but good on management accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

thanks a mil - can you upload the solution whenever you get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Does anyone know is there a difference between buying the trade of the company and just buying the company?

Guys, we all know the soul destroying cases.

What cases did people find ok?

I thought Motorvation; Elite Academy of Sport; Morker Hotels; Stent Up & Fight were ok...

Does anyone know is there a difference between buying the trade of the company and just buying the company?

Yep you can buy the assets or you can just buy the shares both different or tax reasons stamp duty, cgt etc

Can somebody please post the slides/notes for the Core audit online corporate governance lecture please?

Yep you can buy the assets or you can just buy the shares both different or tax reasons stamp duty, cgt etc

And where we only purchase the assets and trade rather than shares ISA 510 won't be applicable as any Opening Balances won't be transferring across for Consolidation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

That Leathers of Ireland case reads like a ****ing novel. Who writes these? :eek:

• Advertisement

Our good friend Paul of the Monahan clan writes them.

A very good case on testing your mgmt accounting.... and eating your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

cson wrote: »
    That Leathers of Ireland case reads like a ****ing novel. Who writes these? :eek:

Where is that one?

Just after doing the Full Metal Jacket case..

The Financial Reporting adjustments (the background workings rather than the journals) are just sickening and if CAI expect that students would compute 2/3 of those (to get competent according to solution) accurately under exam conditions then I'm lost for words...

Also, the indicator in the case asked for Strategic Risks to be addressed and instead Financial Risks were addressed in the solution...!

I did that case about a month ago, got it COMPLETELY wrong (naturally) and it scared the absolute sh1t out of me at the time.

Gave it another bash today and while I found it much more approachable (second time round :cool:), I still struggled big time with those journals. Got one half-correct, which would be most likely see me hitting the dirty NC bracket if it was the real exam.

It's so frustrating but you mustn't place too much emphasis on it. I took a step back and thought, would 75% of people in that exam hall be able to get these journals out perfectly? Not a chance!

When they're looking to examine journals, they need to give us a couple of gimmes to maintain the 75%. That's been my approach to revising FR anyway. Like, if they ask us say 5 journal adjustments, 3 should be reasonably OK, then probably 1 tough one and 1 insane one probably. I'd be very surprised if they asked some ridiculous garbage like you're seeing in these Paul Monagan cases if they're to keep up the 75% pass rate, especially given how disastrous the AAFRP was :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Is anyone using the aafrp book and consolidation notes as their main basis of study for FR?

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Is anyone using the aafrp book and consolidation notes as their main basis of study for FR?

No I've been using the IFRS book and the Derry Cotter book is good for questions on consol.

m1ck007 wrote: »

Using Derry cotter notes and the book of questions for IFRS!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Does anyone know where if the exam info is on the cai website. I didn't get an email from cai.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FAEStudent2014

Can anyone explain how retirement relief works with liquidation please? It has me all confused! :/

Using Derry cotter notes and the book of questions for IFRS!

Same here. I'm not doing the entire book but with Section 3 of the AAFRP book and about 8 Cases from the DC Cases Book.

I think at minimum it's advisable to have covered cases in the DC Book for the 4 Business Combination scenarios: Investment in Associate, Associate to Subsidiary, Subsidiary to Subsidiary and Subsidiary to Disposal.

As a general point, looking back on the Material covered in the lectures I attended:

IFRS had a heavy focus on DC cases around Business Combinations.

Finance focused on FX risk and the valuation of a business in terms of questions covered.

MA focused on TP and Div PM in terms of questions covered.

We have seen a follow up focus on ISA 600 post the Mocks.

Again, obviously there is no predicting but I think there is at least a (possibly coincidental) trend there in terms of areas emphasised through questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

myshirt wrote: »
    This is the Leathers of Ireland question.

It's a challenging one, but good on management accounting.

Thanks for this. Do you have the solution by any chance?

Anyone know somewhere to buy tax notes? Haven't got anything on VAT, capital allowances or any CAP1 stuff really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Anyone spot any small errors in the exam solutions. Just the Comp 2012 and the valuation based on the earnins multiple. Surely they should have added back the full amortisation of 120k

Also the case states that there will be 3 redundancies and they only included the cost of one in their calculation

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    Anyone spot any small errors in the exam solutions. Just the Comp 2012 and the valuation based on the earnins multiple. Surely they should have added back the full amortisation of 120k

Also the case states that there will be 3 redundancies and they only included the cost of one in their calculation

Did it last week and noticed a couple of mistakes alright.

I am nearly sure the sims for 2012 is the same. I was looking at the answers and for the life of me cant find where they are getting some from.

One indicator was for business risks and they listed what were to me audit risks. Another answer had figures in it that were not given in the case and completely changes any answer that you might give.

I checked to see if I was comparing an old answer to an update case but they both looked the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chris Partlow

Audit Elective Q:

SxMaxx Case Re the Chairman's note. If mgt refuse to let us see this, is it not a limitation of scope as we have to ensure Other Info is not inconsistent?

The solution suggests EOM as the correct response.

conor1979 wrote: »
    Did it last week and noticed a couple of mistakes alright.

I am nearly sure the sims for 2012 is the same. I was looking at the answers and for the life of me cant find where they are getting some from.

One indicator was for business risks and they listed what were to me audit risks. Another answer had figures in it that were not given in the case and completely changes any answer that you might give.

I checked to see if I was comparing an old answer to an update case but they both looked the same!

I will Sims tomorrow, only doing one a day from now on and brushing up on technical in the afternoon so that I am not worn out going into the exams!!

Imagine they were used to correct previous years exams!! I know it wouldn't make any difference to your result but still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

PhilipLuke wrote: »

Déjà vu here but (shock horror) the solution is right. They had incorrectly capitalised some costs in the IA so were overstating amortisation.

Audit Elective Q:

SxMaxx Case Re the Chairman's note. If mgt refuse to let us see this, is it not a limitation of scope as we have to ensure Other Info is not inconsistent?

Revised ISA 700 says you can not date and sign audit report until you have reviewed all other info, so it wouldn't be an eom now. It's not a qualified report either as you can't actually issue report. Think it's paragraph 20 or 21 in the revised ISA 700, somewhere around there anyway.

Edit: it's para 24 and A20 & A21.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 suref

Audit Elective Q:

ISA 720 is the standard here as it is essentially a directors report (notes are elective 1/2). You'd only qualify on material difference in numbers or disclosures. This is 'other information' and so there's no qualification - just need to bring it to attention of reader

suref wrote: »
    ISA 720 is the standard here as it is essentially a directors report (notes are elective 1/2). You'd only qualify on material difference in numbers or disclosures. This is 'other information' and so there's no qualification - just need to bring it to attention of reader

Genuinely believe that isn't correct. ISA 700 is the grounding standard in relation to audit reports and it says you don't sign audit report before seeing other info.

Blarney92 wrote: »
    Déjà vu here but (shock horror) the solution is right. They had incorrectly capitalised some costs in the IA so were overstating amortisation.

Yes but they amortised 120 so to get EBITDA you had to add back the full 120.
    They adjusted for the incorrect capitalisation correctly but only added back 67 to get EBITDA when they had amortised 120 so therefore the profit was understated by (120 - 67) 53K

• Advertisement
Advertisement