Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

For audit Im not sure I did great - talked about additional things auditors will look for eg cashflow statements, plans etc. Said there probably is a material uncertainty because of cashflow problems and bank restructuring and this should be disclosed in the note and an emphasis of matter. Enough for an RC, anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Was it deffo IMP and not BL?

Torres999 wrote: »
    Was it deffo IMP and not BL?

I'd think it was a BL one aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

For audit Im not sure I did great - talked about additional things auditors will look for eg cashflow statements, plans etc. Said there probably is a material uncertainty because of cashflow problems and bank restructuring and this should be disclosed in the note and an emphasis of matter. Enough for an RC, anyone? :(

I took two things from the audit q - audit report implications and was the note sufficient, I had to redraft the note an then say there would be EOM in the audit report if they disclosed all information if they didn't would give rise to an adverse opion and possible affect the restructuring deal so your one the button!

I'd think it was a BL one aswell

I'm hoping it's IMP cos I didn't get it done and messed up strategy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

What journals did people throw down for FR? Something along the lines of this I hope

Cr Goodwill 3,000
    Cr Net Assets 14,000
    Cr SPLOCI - PL 18,000
    Dr Bank/recv 20,000
    Dr Invest Ass 15,000

galway321 wrote: »
    What journals did people throw down for FR? Something along the lines of this I hope

Cr Goodwill 3,000
    Cr Net Assets 14,000
    Cr SPLOCI - PL 18,000
    Dr Bank/recv 20,000
    Dr Invest Ass 15,000

Same journal figures were different can't remember what, all a blur

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

Lads - participation exemption???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If I came out of there knowing I done my best, I'd accept it. But to come out having left so much behind me, not good enough.

Last year core comp got a bad reaction day 1; but this paper was incredibly fair to be honest to the board.

The winners today will be those that managed the nerves. I think absolutely fantastic opportunity there on that paper if you managed the nerves. Standard on those indicators likely to be high amongst bulk of 1,300 students.

vnervous wrote: »
    Holding co is exempt from cgt on disposal of sub if certain conditions are met.

• Advertisement

vnervous wrote: »

Yeah that's what I based my whole answer on

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vnervous

Ok I Dont feel so bad now....still gutted over finance . No time....10 mins and brain just couldn't so the calcs ! Sick ! Need a nice finance ind. Tomorrow....

Best thing about this exam is if you think you did bad on an area there's still time to turn things around. Going in with a cool head tomorrow!

DR Bank
    DR Receivable
    DR Investment in Associate
    CR Goodwill
    CR Net Assets
    CR SPLOCI - P+L

But didn't write that down!

Best thing about this exam is if you think you did bad on an area there's still time to turn things around. Going in with a cool head tomorrow!

Massive BL needed

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

Cr Goodwill 3,000
    Cr Net Assets 14,000
    Cr SPLOCI - PL 18,000
    Dr Bank/recv 20,000
    Dr Invest Ass 15,000

Exact same except for I think I might have (wrongly) recorded a post Acq increase in the Net Assets prior to disposal. I thought there was some info given about that... Can't really remember now. Only difference being computed a different gain as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

For FR I took it that we just had to talk about the bunis sale, calculated the gain on disposal have the journals and said they had to account for it as an associate. Didn't bring FR into anything else because I didn't think it was being asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

For FR I took it that we just had to talk about the bunis sale, calculated the gain on disposal have the journals and said they had to account for it as an associate. Didn't bring FR into anything else because I didn't think it was being asked!

Same here.

Like surely if you calculate the disposal well and included the deferred payment give decent good journal and mention onerous leases OR IFRS 5 you'd be close

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

FR- IFRS 3 for goodwill, IFRS 10 for disposal of shares (60%), talked about control lost, gave journals + mentioned IAS 1, equity method will be adopted after disposal, roughly listed IFRS 5 disclosure requirement.

Finance- mentioned options, money market, forward, and did rough calculations. and concluded that forward is the best as it would generate 20m+. a bit worried as i think the calc were wrong…

Tax- talked about share sale vs assets sale, and listed some points from the book ( vendor's perspective column) combined with the case. mentioned participation exemption conditions one by one, and also the buildings is less than 50% on the balance sheet (20m compare to 30m other assets), hence participation exemption is available. tried to do a rough calculation of the assets sale and show them i know how to calculate the double tax hit, failed ….. waste 5 mins! but concluded that share sale is the best and asset sale would hardly to reach 50m

Strategic analysis- Financial analysis: i don't know what the examiner was looking for, hence i just tots all losses and roughly split by 'total loss' and 'unavoidable loss'.
    non-financial analysis: analysed the 3 stores, and concluded that s1 should be closed immediately and looking for subletting, mentioned IAS 17,
    s2 should be kept, as north of the city has great development potential compare to the fully occupied south side,
    keep s3 as job market is great and business district could afford slightly high quality food, mentioned Marks & spencer.
    and for the last 'requirement', i just say the current format is not ready for lenders, but fair enough for that stupid board

Transfer pricing- was a bit of shock to me TOO. i was expecting a bit calculation etc, but no. talked about the current market value crap and suggested how to identify the ideal transfer price, and what else to consider. copied two paras from grinds school notes and is very regretting now.. maybe i shouldn't copy anything!

Online sale-as others said, not sure it is an IMP or Marketing indicator, but i was thinking of TESCO the whole time! grinds school mentioned the club card thing so i threw that.
    basically they are looking for two issues: how to get the info? and how to use the info?
    so i said ask them to complete club card info, doing a surgery ( together with reward, and if it was TESCO, possibly a BLACK BANANA, haha)
    then to get the preference of each online customer,
    also mentioned that the IT system need to be updated to get a 'filter' function and deliver the summary report, and appoint an IT champion.

CG - not a great answer!! only got 15 mins, and haven't drawn up the executive summary. just threw ceo+chairman can't be the same jerk, m molly already on board for 12 years and should be subject to re-election, chairman meets NEDs separately, and should appoint INED, performance shouldn't be based on profit ( link to transfer pricing) and randomly mentioned schedule A of CG code…

Audit- not too great. mentioned That papa should gave more details and randomly got a sentence from grinds school notes- think it was mgt's responsibility, but in a very short sentence, love it.
    then mentioned what the auditors are likely to assess the basis by themselves in line with isa 570.
    finally said- if the directors are willing to change, then unqualified report, if not, qualified report with Disclaimer or Adverse, depends on the auditors work, not ours.

• Advertisement

Torres999, that's you over the line yeah.

Anyone who got an RC in AAFRP, there you go, back on par in one swoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

In relation to tax... Did anybody say that the share sale isn't attainable as there was a massive latent gain on the buildings ... Cost 1mil disposal 20mil, so the purchaser would want a big discount on the shares price

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joebloggs88

Tricky1979 wrote: »
    Prob a good pt. I didn't do a swot. Raging now.

Did we need to do a swot? It asked for financial and non financial factors. Don't think it was leading you to do a swot.

Glas134 wrote: »
    In relation to tax... Did anybody say that the share sale isn't attainable as there was a massive latent gain on the buildings ... Cost 1mil disposal 20mil, so the purchaser would want a big discount on the shares price

Didn't say that but it is a decent point! They have to look at answers on their merit aswell (i hope)

i mentioned that. if so, the price would be significant lower than they expected. it is a huge con of share sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Yup that's what I said, still said to go with share based sale because they asked for the best tax solution but did leave a note saying it's probably unlikely to happen
    LOccitane wrote: »
    Exact same except for I think I might have (wrongly) recorded a post Acq increase in the Net Assets prior to disposal. I thought there was some info given about that... Can't really remember now. Only difference being computed a different gain as a result.

Yeah I assumed the post-acquisition increase was already accounted for. Although in hindsight I probably should have stated that but that's what I get for leaving it till last, dreadful decision that

Did we need to do a swot? It asked for financial and non financial factors. Don't think it was leading you to do a swot.

attempted to do but failed, not enough info i think:eek:

Tax is not my strong point but if the purchaser pays full market price and you as seller avail of the participation exemption does not not 'clear out' the latent gain?

As I said I'm not strong on tax so looking for clarification?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Going to go in and tackle finance first tomorrow, followed by any bl then the rest in no particular order.

• Advertisement

Tax is not my strong point but if the purchaser pays full market price and you as seller avail of the participation exemption does not not 'clear out' the latent gain?

As I said I'm not strong on tax so looking for clarification?

The gain happens when the purchaser sells the buildings themselves, they have the base price you bought them at. So if they buy the shares and sell the building the base price is 1m, if they buy the building and sell it in future the base price is 20m.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BigMawn12

My FR today was shocking. Got a C in AAFRP so hope that softens the blow. Need to have a good day tomorrow. Not even opening a book tonight. What's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Here's hoping Hodgson gets an opportunity to wheel out his trusty three-stage framework at some point. When all you have is a hammer...

BigMawn12 wrote: »
    My FR today was shocking. Got a C in AAFRP so hope that softens the blow. Need to have a good day tomorrow. Not even opening a book tonight. What's the point.

there is nothing to be worried about, like you already had a C in your bag, and that is the advantage! just stay positive!

dunno to treat the online sales an IMP or BL? anyone??

My FR was shocking because of nerves!

My FR last year was shocking because my FR was shocking!

Sooooo hard to swallow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

For the disposal of Frenco I said that asset sale is the best for quick cash which they need but they wouldn't get 50m after tax. Said with participation exemption in share sale may get nearer 50m after tax but that it'd take too long. So I said I was worried that they wouldn't get 50m in time and linked it into the going concern indicator for audit??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tresb26

surely there will be an ethics tomorrow somewhere and now that we know it's coming tomorrow it's a good chance to get a C for BL...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

I only looked at the strategic analysis from a financial perspective as when I read over it my head was gone and I thought thats what it said!!!!

Also made a pure bags of finance and IMP/Marketing

Audit was poor but did redraft the disclosure note

Just took me too long to read and plan

For the disposal of Frenco I said that asset sale is the best for quick cash which they need but they wouldn't get 50m after tax. Said with participation exemption in share sale may get nearer 50m after tax but that it'd take too long. So I said I was worried that they wouldn't get 50m in time and linked it into the going concern indicator for audit??

oh my God, it is such a good point! i never thought of that!

The gain happens when the purchaser sells the buildings themselves, they have the base price you bought them at. So if they buy the shares and sell the building the base price is 1m, if they buy the building and sell it in future the base price is 20m.

Thanks Shorty - I assumed (incorrectly it appears) as they were paying full price for the shares that the cost price for the buildings would be €20m and could be used for subsequent sales.

Hoping now that stating share sale is the best best option and availing of participation exemption is enough to get RC!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Really want to go all Paul Monahan on ethics tomorrow

"I shall use the well established Hodgsons Three Stage Model"

Feeling ethical baby!

I made a really small passing reference to this in my audit answer

Really wish we had more time for the exam, 4:30 feels like a lot until you're actually in there sitting it

Would 2 C's be enough for BL?

Feel like I nailed Corporate Governance today and hoping for ethics tomorrow - If I got C's in both would that be enough? Strategy was a disaster for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dreaming of sunshine

Feel like I nailed Corporate Governance today and hoping for ethics tomorrow - If I got C's in both would that be enough? Strategy was a disaster for me today.

I'm gonna say you might need three, most seemed to have fared well with CG today. I'm definitely aiming for 2/3 more anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Really wish we had more time for the exam, 4:30 feels like a lot until you're actually in there sitting it

I genuinely don't understand the 'take an hour+ for planning' people. You've 4 hours to write and 8 indicators. Nearly every one of those indicators seemed to me to take near on a solid half hour of writing. Your planning is done in your half hour reading time. Maybe an additional ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BigMawn12

Nermal wrote: »
    Here's hoping Hodgson gets an opportunity to wheel out his trusty three-stage framework at some point. When all you have is a hammer...

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

I'd imagine 2 will be enough to get you over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lowenstein

what are people thinking on BL indicators tomorrow? cg and strategy done with 50/50 imp/marketing. does that mean has to be change and ethics? or would they give a second strategy indicator??? So annoyed at myself for missing that line about operating losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

what are people thinking on finance tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dreaming of sunshine

lowenstein wrote: »
    what are people thinking on BL indicators tomorrow? cg and strategy done with 50/50 imp/marketing. does that mean has to be change and ethics? or would they give a second strategy indicator??? So annoyed at myself for missing that line about operating losses.

I'm expecting Ethics and another strategy indicator (though i'll be delighted if anything except strategy appears!!!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement