Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The fact that a year to the week that we started the FAE course people are still trying to get their heads around the marking scheme shows how ridiculous it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 FAEfirsttimer

You could pass with 6 yellows, and some people do. You could also fail with 6 yellows by not passing sufficency. A yellow means you met the minimum standard to be deemed competent in that area.

I'll give you a high level overview and hopefully you will understand:

Sufficency is basically your score overall. You have to get a certain score which will be based on the number of C's and RC's you get.

Depth refers to the number of C's you get in PM/BL. So if you get 4 C's in PM you'd get a green, if you got 2 C's you might get a yellow. It all depends on the number of C's the institute say you have to get (this is how they manipulate pass rates btw).

Breadth refers to the number of RC's you get in the 4 other subjects (Audit, Tax, etc). Same story as above, if you got 2 RC's in one area you'd get a Green, if you got one RC you'd probably get a Yellow. Again it depends on the number of RCs the institute says you have to get in that particular area.

Make sense?

So take for example a guy who gets 5 Greens and 1 Red, he likely got a good overall score (sufficency) but he got a red in one area meaning he didn't get enough C's or RC's in one subject (Depth/Breadth)

Yea makes perfect thanks. I was getting confused with people posting they got all yellows etc as I am sure I read/heard we need greens in the two big boys.

Sure if I got all yellows I stand a chance. Fingers crossed!! I also followed you onto the Sept 2013 forum, its a nice read watching people post at 6am that they have passed, wish I could do that too. But you can also feel some peoples pain when they post about failing.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    The fact that a year to the week that we started the FAE course people are still trying to get their heads around the marking scheme shows how ridiculous it is

Lol i dont think it applies to everyone though, maybe just me as I have been intrepreting posts by users and not making sense of them. I am just being dumb! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The short and sweet version of how to pass is this:

Average a C in PM (say 2/4)
    Average a C in BL (say 2/4)
    Get 1 RC in Audit, Tax, Finance, IMP (say 4/8)

And out of the 8 indicators left, you'd want about 2 or 3 C's and a few RC's. Doesn't matter where from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

myshirt wrote: »

And out of the 8 indicators left, you'd want about 2 or 3 C's and a few RC's. Doesn't matter where from

Where did you fall down previously? Apologies, I'm sure you've said before.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEEEDDDDDDD!

Where did you fall down previously? Apologies, I'm sure you've said before.

BL!

BL!

BS

BS

PM...SL

• Advertisement

When it is put like this, you would think it is straight forward enough. Bit like hitting the 50% mark in CAP 1 and CAP 2. But in reality, i am not so sure.

But sure, we only have about 350 hours to wait until we get the BIG news! loving the quotes from The Doctor saying nothing but Doomed lol I think it is how the majority of us feel.

FAEfirsttimer - that's just my best guess at the marking system.

FAEfirsttimer - that's just my best guess at the marking system.

Lol I know!! I didnt take it that this is fact. I am just when you lay it out in that manner it seems ok but everyone who sat them this year and previous will vouch that it is not simple. I wasnt havent a pop at your logic just saying that as intelligent people we should be able to achieve 2/5 2/4 etc. But like I say, we can only wait and see on the day... It would be amazing, and unrealistic for everyone to pass, but hopefully it all goes to plan for the majority.

Out of interest, did you feel more comfortable with the exams as each day passed or did you find them all the same? I think i got progressively more comfortable in Day 2 and 3 as I found day 1 the worst of the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GR3YFOXXX

Lol I know!! I didnt take it that this is fact. I am just when you lay it out in that manner it seems ok but everyone who sat them this year and previous will vouch that it is not simple. I wasnt havent a pop at your logic just saying that as intelligent people we should be able to achieve 2/5 2/4 etc. But like I say, we can only wait and see on the day... It would be amazing, and unrealistic for everyone to pass, but hopefully it all goes to plan for the majority.

Out of interest, did you feel more comfortable with the exams as each day passed or did you find them all the same? I think i got progressively more comfortable in Day 2 and 3 as I found day 1 the worst of the 3

Same as that. Day 1 was definitely the shakiest day for me.

GR3YFOXXX wrote: »
    Same as that. Day 1 was definitely the shakiest day for me.

I came away from it thinking it was a nerves thing, maybe I was more settled on Day 2 and 3. i cant really recall if the actual content got progressively easier or not. Actually it couldnt have, as Audit Elective was very tough in comparison to any other audit exam I sat.

Must just have been just overcoming that initial fear of what was to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Who in their right mind would apply for the chartered tax before they get their results. Anyone else get the email??

• Advertisement

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would apply for the chartered tax before they get their results. Anyone else get the email??

It came through on my phone 5 times. They are only mailing the ones who passed though.... Haha as if lol

Had to delete two emails from them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

this day 2 weeks the agony will be over

Woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 31 daisy chain

I am so utterly terrified. Such a long wait and the pressure from the firms is immense. Can't even plan beyond the next two weeks as get let go if I fail.
    People saying 'oh of course you've passed' does not help matters. No one other than the people who have sat the new FAE know what it's like. You could just fall down in one stupid subject like IMP and fail the whole thing #stress :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Very stressed about the whole process now myself . Just longing for it to be over now at this stage. I can honestly say that I couldnt of done much more over the whole summer .

12 more days

12 more long long days

I feel depressed at the thought of those damn results.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

I keep saying to myself that it won't be the end of the world if I won't get them this time but deep down I am so nervous and feel so miserable about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

I am so utterly terrified. Such a long wait and the pressure from the firms is immense. Can't even plan beyond the next two weeks as get let go if I fail.
    People saying 'oh of course you've passed' does not help matters. No one other than the people who have sat the new FAE know what it's like. You could just fall down in one stupid subject like IMP and fail the whole thing #stress :([/QUOT

in the same position the firms managers don't understand as they all mostly done the old fae which was far easier

Have you been told if you fail you are gone? That's a seriously pressured situation to be in if it is what happened. Try not to think negatively, think about what could be :) that's what I am trying.

Do all your firms give a handsome bonus and a tasty pay rise for passing? Wondering if all the firms give the same amount. Anyone know?

12 more days

12 more long long days

Just 9 working days though!! Scary business. Once 5 oclock comes next Thursday it will be a blur of a weekend especially if you get get the results you hope for :)

Two groups are formed on results day. Those who pass. And those who do not.

Group One get 2 and a half G's and Group 2 get the door.

That's the horror story. But it's all down to your own firm and your own team. Maybe they'll keep you on? Maybe they won't.

All the lads that failed last year had no problem picking up a job. It's picking yourself up that's the problem, a whole f#cking year to repeat. Ahhhhhhh!

Two groups are formed on results day. Those who pass. And those who do not.

Group One get 2 and a half G's and Group 2 get the door.

That's the horror story. But it's all down to your own firm and your own team. Maybe they'll keep you on? Maybe they won't.

All the lads that failed last year had no problem picking up a job. It's picking yourself up that's the problem, a whole f#cking year to repeat. Ahhhhhhh!

Yea its the same in my firm, 2.5k plus a tidy payrise on the day if you pass. I have been told my job is safe if I fail, at least for the remainder of my contract so it takes some pressure off. I dont like the fact that people are losing jobs over 1 crappy exam, its a bad enough feeling knowing you have another year put on hold. Nothing like kicking you when your down lol

acastudent wrote: »
    I keep saying to myself that it won't be the end of the world if I won't get them this time but deep down I am so nervous and feel so miserable about the whole thing

In the last few days I thought I was calm too. Just hit me there that the FEAR is overtaking me in big way. At this stage I will probably look 50 instead of 25 by next Friday lol

• Advertisement

What are everyone's plans on the Thursday night? I'm definitely going for a few short'uns.

GR3YFOXXX wrote: »
    What are everyone's plans on the Thursday night? I'm definitely going for a few short'uns.

Alot of shorts, few shots and a few guinness.. help me sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

The more I think about them the more I convince myself i've failed! Ah well what will be will be! Just want it over with at this stage.

Mark1916 wrote: »
    The more I think about them the more I convince myself i've failed! Ah well what will be will be! Just want it over with at this stage.

Very much thinking the same way... the closer it gets the worse I feel I've done.

Deciding how to spend the 2.5K bonus is so stressful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

Mark1916 wrote: »

Exactly how I feel! I'm trying my absolute best to forget about them cos every time I think about them my stomach turns and I feel like I could be physically sick. God only know what state I'll be in at 7:55am a week Friday morning.

We are all in it together folks.

Exactly how I feel! I'm trying my absolute best to forget about them cos every time I think about them my stomach turns and I feel like I could be physically sick. God only know what state I'll be in at 7:55am a week Friday morning.

Hungover

Hungover

Have a Locust Coffee. Perk you right up.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what time the results will be published at?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Anyone know what time the results will be published at?

I got them at 5.30 last year

Aidodub87 wrote: »

Thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate it. That's good they are out so early, I remember cap 2s last year. Didn't get them to after 9.30 ffs. That's even less hours on the countdown then :)

Aidodub87 wrote: »

I assume you repeated then since your on here? Hope you don't mind me asking, what way we're you feeling last year, were ya confident approaching result time? Did you approach the exams any differently this year? Ie more attendance, cgs or in your general study approach?

I really don't know how to feel at the minute, like I said before I am confident I attempted all the indicators that people flagged in the forum, making a huge error in one indicator (pm) on day 1, but I hope my C in AARFP can save this.

It's so difficult trying to assess where yà stand

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

The worry is eating me up at this stage.. The results cannot come quickly enough. Fingers crossed for all of us on here!

I don't think I'll be able to look on logging in to get them!

9 days people, we're into single digits!!!!!!

Ok go on so

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEEEDDDDDD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Meh im expecting nothing so a pass be an absolute bonus, ****ed up Day 1,2 and 3

Torres999 wrote: »
    Meh im expecting nothing so a pass be an absolute bonus, ****ed up Day 1,2 and 3

Yeah, I agree, days 1 through 3 were a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

There's two ways of looking at it. When I'm feeling positive I tell myself, 75% of people will pass (core). That's 3 in 4, that's great!

Then when I'm feeling like I'm going to fail, which is a lot recently, I think to myself, pass rates are going to go down and at least 340 people are going to fail even if they do stay the same. 300+ people is a lot of people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

It's getting closer to the results and the closer it gets more I think I've failed.....

Really think this bloody rc from aafrp will be my killer :-(

It's getting closer to the results and the closer it gets more I think I've failed.....

Really think this bloody rc from aafrp will be my killer :-(

I find it hard to understand how the aafrp is only worth one indicator if there are about ten questions in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement