Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The RC won't be the killer. Really, it won't.
    My personal opinion is that it will be BL & Audit that will kill people. But hey, 75% pass rate, so keep the chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

myshirt wrote: »
    The RC won't be the killer. Really, it won't.
    My personal opinion is that it will be BL & Audit that will kill people. But hey, 75% pass rate, so keep the chin up.

Just hard now to remain positive, biggest problem I have is if I failed I don't know what more I could of done to pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 FAEfirsttimer

There's two ways of looking at it. When I'm feeling positive I tell myself, 75% of people will pass (core). That's 3 in 4, that's great!

Then when I'm feeling like I'm going to fail, which is a lot recently, I think to myself, pass rates are going to go down and at least 340 people are going to fail even if they do stay the same. 300+ people is a lot of people...

Scary when put like that. Only positive thing from this is that it refers to people one or the other I assume (core or elective). By any chance would you know what the stats are for people failling both exams on first attempt? If these would better may give me some sort of boost :>

Just hard now to remain positive, biggest problem I have is if I failed I don't know what more I could of done to pass!

I don't think an RC will take u down. I got C in that assessment but royally fkd up the consol indicator so right away myself and u are on a level playing field.

We don't have long to wait now to be put out of our miserys

About 80% get something, be it elective or core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Scary when put like that. Only positive thing from this is that it refers to people one or the other I assume (core or elective). By any chance would you know what the stats are for people failling both exams on first attempt? If these would better may give me some sort of boost :>

14% fail both (180 people)
    23% get either core/elective only (300 people)
    63% pass overall (810 people)

Based on last years percentages of first time attempts.

*numbers of people approx - based on 1300 people sitting

About 80% get something, be it elective or core.

At least that's a positive thing to look for on my behalf. Roll on next Thursday night so we can get this crap over and done with. Fed up waiting at this stage. It's like waiting for the big man to come down the chimney every year. HURRY UP ALREADY! lol

I am more anxious because of waiting forthe results as opposed to being physically worried about the outcome as there is nothing I can do now. This is by far the most study I have ever done for exams by a clear distance, and felt very confident going into them. I really hope that my answers on the day reflect that and I get by.

14% fail both (180 people)
    23% get either core/elective only (300 people)
    63% pass overall (810 people)

Based on last years percentages of first time attempts.

*numbers of people approx - based on 1300 people sitting

Thanks for this insight, very informative. They ain't overly bad figures if I am honest. Just have to beat 37% of our peers :) lol it's mad to think that if you perform better than the people sitting infront and behind you in the exam you are statistically more likely to pass. That's were the competitive streak plays a part

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭arnie_ni

Having nightmares about that oneorus contract and not providing for the loss. If i fail it will be because of that an my arrpf

I'm having nightmares about not reclassifying the sub as held for sale! This whole f#cking ACA is like a nightmare that won't end, I'm at it so long.

• Advertisement

I'm having nightmares about not reclassifying the sub as held for sale! This whole f#cking ACA is like a nightmare that won't end, I'm at it so long.

Not going into a post mortem, I think at this stage 90% agree that it shouldn't be classified as held for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nothin but the Truth

It wasn't supposed to be re-classified, I have been told by some1 who knew a corrector that the first solution for a C answer was that you had to state clearly that under IFRS 5 that it should not be re-classified as it only represented 5% of company. After seein the sample of 100 they soon moved this to a HC answer.

The onerous contract was not part of the official answer, correctors are allowed to award 1 mark to something which is not in the official solution so a corrector could give credit for the onerous contract but its up to every single corrector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Nothin but the truth do you have any other info on how much some indicators moved on Cs to HCs etc?

Presume its all corrected and locked in at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nothin but the Truth

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Nothin but the truth do you have any other info on how much some indicators moved on Cs to HCs etc?

Presume its all corrected and locked in at this stage

Yeah its all done and dusted. A lot got moved around, dnt worry about that. Finance was a mess supposedly and got changed a lot, same with IMP on first day as no one spoke about challenges facing company. There's no real point goin thru everything as pretty much everything changed. I just want to dispell this myth that correctors have lots of leeway when correcting. Thats just not true, they have an answer sheet with lots of points on it and they only have discretion over 1 point per indicator to play with. If there are 8 points on chartereds sheet and u need 5/8 to get a C, then u need to hit on 4 of the points on their sheet and then if u have a valid point which is not on it and the corrector agrees with u then he can give u 1 mark towards the 5 needed. He can only give u credit for 1 point even if u think u have 3 or 4 valid points. If its not on the sheet then ur in trouble, correctors can only stray from the sheet once per indicator.

Not going into a post mortem, I think at this stage 90% agree that it shouldn't be classified as held for sale.

Your memory is much better than mine. I can't bare to look at that paper again... it will eat me to look at it before Friday.. I didn't reclassify, and that's all I remember! Let's hope I wrote something sensible why!

@Nothin but the truth

Your explanation is consistent with what I was told also.

But in any event, all I'm concerned about is transparency and fair treatment.

On a separate note, friend of a friend of a friend is tapping a senior manager in a certain firm, who corrects. But she is saying nothing! That's a HC on the ethics indicator for her. So where these sources come from, I dunno.

Yeah don't think I passed

It wasn't supposed to be re-classified, I have been told by some1 who knew a corrector that the first solution for a C answer was that you had to state clearly that under IFRS 5 that it should not be re-classified as it only represented 5% of company. After seein the sample of 100 they soon moved this to a HC answer.

The onerous contract was not part of the official answer, correctors are allowed to award 1 mark to something which is not in the official solution so a corrector could give credit for the onerous contract but its up to every single corrector.

Are you serious? Ugh i re classed it. Darn it, that's a nc then i doubt. Nc in arrpf. How many indicators were there in financial reporting?

On a separate note, friend of a friend of a friend is tapping a senior manager in a certain firm, who corrects. But she is saying nothing! That's a HC on the ethics indicator for her. So where these sources come from, I dunno.

Have you considered writing a gossip column? Your stories are like something from the daily mail.

• Advertisement

Lads you are going to drive yourselves crazy. The marking scheme changes and we all missed something. Try and focus on what you did good for a change and forget the rest. You could have passed, we will know next week like.

This talk about onerous leases, consol indicator etc you can't change what you wrote now. I am nearly certain that the list of passes have been drawn up at this stage. We could all go to the institute next Thursday and take there post for them lol then we will know sooner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

If there are 8 points on chartereds sheet and u need 5/8 to get a C, then u need to hit on 4 of the points on their sheet and then if u have a valid point which is not on it and the corrector agrees with u then he can give u 1 mark towards the 5 needed. He can only give u credit for 1 point even if u think u have 3 or 4 valid points. If its not on the sheet then ur in trouble, correctors can only stray from the sheet once per indicator.

Ugh, I wasn't thinking about the exam much until now and nearly forgot what a harsh system it is. You could have a perfectly legitimate answer but if you didn't think the way they think then you fail. Really feel like it's a lottery system and down to pure luck whether you pass, nothing about all the hard work you put in!

They had to release the results during the international break. Nothing to keep my mind occupied next week in the evenings.

Only a week to wreck our heads left

Yeah its all done and dusted. A lot got moved around, dnt worry about that. Finance was a mess supposedly and got changed a lot, same with IMP on first day as no one spoke about challenges facing company. There's no real point goin thru everything as pretty much everything changed. I just want to dispell this myth that correctors have lots of leeway when correcting. Thats just not true, they have an answer sheet with lots of points on it and they only have discretion over 1 point per indicator to play with. If there are 8 points on chartereds sheet and u need 5/8 to get a C, then u need to hit on 4 of the points on their sheet and then if u have a valid point which is not on it and the corrector agrees with u then he can give u 1 mark towards the 5 needed. He can only give u credit for 1 point even if u think u have 3 or 4 valid points. If its not on the sheet then ur in trouble, correctors can only stray from the sheet once per indicator.

Interesting. Presumably you would only need one of the two markers who correct your paper to deem your "other point" to be valid also, as you are given the benefit of the doubt over the two corrections. Yes?

Just seen on one of the other threads that ACCA are going to start offering 4 exam sessions a year! March, June, September and December.

CAI will most definitely be offering a repeat at FAE level in another year (2016 sitting or possibly even 2015) if they are going to stand any chance of competing. It is ridiculous that they don't offer a repeat as it is.

• Advertisement

When would they repeat it? You wont get it in before xmas at this stage, you can't do it in January with that being the deadline in the north, it would have to be in march to give decent revision time.

arnie_ni wrote: »
    When would they repeat it? You wont get it in before xmas at this stage, you can't do it in January with that being the deadline in the north, it would have to be in march to give decent revision time.

I meant from next year on. They would probably restructure it, push the exam back a few weeks into September (it's not as if it really takes them nearly 2.5 months to correct) and then hold it possibly in may or June as the big 4 firms would wet themselves if you put it during busy season.

Big 4 wouldn't give auditors time off to study in busy season (Jan-Apr)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blizzard13

I went to a conference there a couple of weeks ago in the Institute, and they confirmed they would be offering resits in 2017

Does anyone know if your one c away in fr from an overall pass, can you just do arrpf?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if your one c away in fr from an overall pass, can you just do arrpf?

Not a chance

Not an absolute hope in hell.

Even if you fail on IMP (which is not the core skill of an accountant), and get greens in everything else, you do the whole thing again. Someone on here even passed the tax elective and failed core on tax... try explaining that one to the grandkids.

Just got an email asking to confirm our attendance at FAE dinner next week.......

Responded tentative

Feel sick in the stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

The results are going to be published a week earlier for the FAE 2015 group....if they did that this year we'd have our results by now :mad:

It was originally today. I have it marked on my calendar.

It got pushed back around the AAFRP exem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

It was originally today. I have it marked on my calendar.

It got pushed back around the AAFRP exem.

Yeah?! I just want to know at this stage :mad:

Am I free or have I got another year added onto my sentance :(

Yeah?! I just want to know at this stage :mad:

Am I free or have I got another year added onto my sentance :(

Exactly how I feel. This burden or sentence hanging over my head. Should I pass I will be licking the pavement I will be that drunk on Friday lol

Not a chance

Thats a bit Bit harsh. I didn't really understand the importance of that test, did little to no work for it.

Thats a bit Bit harsh. I didn't really understand the importance of that test, did little to no work for it.

You mean the assessment or the actual final exams lol? Sure there's nothing we can do now. The results are ready to go so hopefully you done enough. What did you get in assessment?

The thing is a lot of people say you will not fail on one indicator, and since the AARFP is just one you should be fine.

It's hard to understand the importance of these, sure ffs I was still asking about how the marking scheme works this week lol

You mean the assessment or the actual final exams lol? Sure there's nothing we can do now. The results are ready to go so hopefully you done enough. What did you get in assessment?

The thing is a lot of people say you will not fail on one indicator, and since the AARFP is just one you should be fine.

It's hard to understand the importance of these, sure ffs I was still asking about how the marking scheme works this week lol
    The assessment. I went through that textbook and it was handy so i thought i would be grand.

I handnt looked at the proper exam past papers at that stage. If i did i would have realised how hit and miss they could be and done more for the assessment to make sure i had a competent in the bag going in.

I also done best at tax and fr at cap 2, guess i was a bit over confident going into the assessment as well.

• Advertisement

You've got to put it in perspective:

55% of people got below a C in the AAFRP.

The core failure rate is roughly 25%. As we know, most people will fail on either BL or PM (probably 12-18%) the remainder will be people who failed breadth areas (5%) and others who walked out of the exam.

So based on that, how many are actually failing on PM? Suddenly the 55% of people who didn't get a C has decreased to a fraction of what it was. I think that's why they say the aafrp doesn't matter that much, because the amount of people who still pass PM considering they messed up their assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just looked at the student portal please tell me that on the morning of the results we don't actually have to look through an excel spreadsheet for our number

Question if someone passed their FAE and couldn't face the last ten months of their contract what would be their options??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

Just looked at the student portal please tell me that on the morning of the results we don't actually have to look through an excel spreadsheet for our number

If you have a look at your mock results the final results will be put up the same way from what CAI have told me (but will be in the exam results tab obviously) - so the main thing you need to look at is the far right column for the overall "Pass", "Credit" or "Fail".

You will get your result i.e. "Pass" or "Fail" for each paper as well as your decile and sufficiency on this screen. If you want to see your greens, yellows and reds you'll get those in the downloadable excel document with "G" for Green, "Y" for Yellow and "R" for Red under each of the subject areas.

I just want to see the word "Pass" in all 3 places - here's hoping! This is going to be the longest week of work ever I feel.......

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Hope I will be busy next week in work otherwise I'll go mental . Panic mood is on ....

You've got to put it in perspective:

55% of people got below a C in the AAFRP.

The core failure rate is roughly 25%. As we know, most people will fail on either BL or PM (probably 12-18%) the remainder will be people who failed breadth areas (5%) and others who walked out of the exam.

So based on that, how many are actually failing on PM? Suddenly the 55% of people who didn't get a C has decreased to a fraction of what it was. I think that's why they say the aafrp doesn't matter that much, because the amount of people who still pass PM considering they messed up their assessment.

Now your starting to bring me back around from the dark side. Not sure what side of the fence its better to be on during the lead up to the results.

You could always wait for the letter, though as soon as you pick it up you'll know, so maybe it is worse.

When you log in online, it's just there in an instant. The product of 12 months of work given to you in 2 seconds, no drum roll.

The letter... if it's bulky, you've failed, as they pack it with forms and revision course advertisements. So as soon as you pick it up you know. If you pass, it's noticeably thinner.

They still send letters?

They still send letters?

Yes... unless it has changed? Haven't seen anything to suggest so.

• Advertisement

Didn't know that.

Might go retro and wait till half 8 for the post!!

Advertisement