Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

Are people who failed audit still thinking of switching to APM?

I was but am a little apprehensive after seeing the scaremongering by the Institute about how people who switch from audit generally failed the APM, with an exception of 2013.

Im just a little worried that the pass rate for audit will substantially increase next year while the APM pass rate will decrease.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lylodemo

Are people who failed audit still thinking of switching to APM?

I was but am a little apprehensive after seeing the scaremongering by the Institute about how people who switch from audit generally failed the APM, with an exception of 2013.

Im just a little worried that the pass rate for audit will substantially increase next year while the APM pass rate will decrease.

Any opinions?

Hey
    The main thing to think about is do you enjoy audit? If it's yes and the thought of APM is boring then don't switch in the hope of simply passing. I don't think you should base your decision on the pass rates. I found APM easy because I like the topics that are covered and enjoyed learning the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Lylodemo wrote: »
    Hey
    The main thing to think about is do you enjoy audit? If it's yes and the thought of APM is boring then don't switch in the hope of simply passing. I don't think you should base your decision on the pass rates. I found APM easy because I like the topics that are covered and enjoyed learning the subject

This is what I'm basing it on. Zero interest in audit and I definitely won't be working in it after my contract is up. Apm looks like it would actually interest me to study it vs basically banging my head off a wall trying to get audit I into it. Should've switched last year but the deadline crept up on me and I was stuck with audit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I think you have your answer

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    This is what I'm basing it on. Zero interest in audit and I definitely won't be working in it after my contract is up. Apm looks like it would actually interest me to study it vs basically banging my head off a wall trying to get audit I into it. Should've switched last year but the deadline crept up on me and I was stuck with audit.

Then APM it is mate, good luck

Good luck also, remember you're just one paper away from being a fully qualified ACA!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 focus225

Is it true that if you fail the FAE three times you have to start at Cap 2 level again? Just something I heard. Don't know if there is any truth behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No. It's three strikes and you are out completely. No going back to CAP2.

That's the official line, though there are a very small minority who take it four times. That group is made up of those with extenuating circumstances as I believe the institutes own regulators won't allow a fourth attempt. Plus, at 3 years of FAE, do you really want to go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

For those repeating again next year...have you started studying yet? Due to only having annual leave next year and no study leave, I hope to start doing stuff this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

For those repeating again next year...have you started studying yet? Due to only having annual leave next year and no study leave, I hope to start doing stuff this weekend

I plan to start on feb 1st. Although i have started pullng notes together and reading the broadsheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 FAE _Wex

myshirt wrote: »
    No. It's three strikes and you are out completely. No going back to CAP2.

That's the official line, though there are a very small minority who take it four times. That group is made up of those with extenuating circumstances as I believe the institutes own regulators won't allow a fourth attempt. Plus, at 3 years of FAE, do you really want to go again?

To repeat for a fourth time you have to apply to the institute to sit it for the fourth time, as long as its straight after your first three attempts they will allow you sit the exams again. This was my position this year and I passed and am now awaiting confirmation of membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

Anyone get the tutorial report? Was it any good?

LuLa0826 wrote: »
    Anyone get the tutorial report? Was it any good?

Dont think it comes out till after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

Sorry I meant the report you pay for about your script?

LuLa0826 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant the report you pay for about your script?

Yea i think that is the tutorial report. I was on the phone to the instute about it they said early january.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

I'm happy to put my reports up for people to see them from last year. I got 3G (audit, IMP, Finance) 2Y (PM and BL) and red in tax.

It won't let me attach but if you PM me I will send it for those who want an idea of what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

I have to repeat the Core next year.

Does anybody know the important dates? Registering for exams etc.? Is there an information evening for repeat students coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

All info available on their website.

Jny107 PM the report and i'll post it up. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Androma1984

I have to repeat the Core next year.

Does anybody know the important dates? Registering for exams etc.? Is there an information evening for repeat students coming up?

The FAE revision course enrolment deadline is 16th January. On the information leaflet it says need to apply to repeat exam separately, but can't see the deadline for this on the website. Can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

The FAE revision course enrolment deadline is 16th January. On the information leaflet it says need to apply to repeat exam separately, but can't see the deadline for this on the website. Can anyone confirm this?

I attended the revision course intro in belfast tonight. The woman said the prices are yet to be agreed but they will be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

Deadline for this last year was feb 14th - remember it well! But then they changed it to end of feb.

Dellboy send me your email - I can't attach in pm either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ChrisROI

m1ck007 wrote: »
    I attended the revision course intro in belfast tonight. The woman said the prices are yet to be agreed but they will be next week.

What was the intro class about, like what did they cover that isn't covered on website and things?

ChrisROI wrote: »
    What was the intro class about, like what did they cover that isn't covered on website and things?

Just the benefits of the course, ie access to new cases, also a few inspirational words, along with caution about jumping to apm elective.

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Just the benefits of the course, ie access to new cases, also a few inspirational words, along with caution about jumping to apm elective.

Ok thanks for that. I will attend the Dublin one on Monday sure and see what its about. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mintymac

mackers87 wrote: »
    Is anyone with sufficiency 2 going for a clerical recheck in the elective?

I wasn't going to but having second thoughts today.

bit late seeing this but yes I'm the same got sufficiency 2 in my elective and got my core so for the sake of ti I applied for the clerical recheck to chance my arm. Did you apply for the recheck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Did anyone go to the revision course lecture tonight for repeat students? was it beneficial? I had to work late so couldnt make it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 daisy chain

Anyone know what time the extenuating circumstances appeal results email is out on Friday? Thanks!!

Did anyone get a pass through the appeals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I've heard of at least one person passing due to extenuating circumstances today

I've heard of at least one person passing due to extenuating circumstances today

I had a lot of extenuating circumstances and was rejected :( came close in the exams and was still rejected

• Advertisement

Yes, I got core through appeal of extenuating circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElleGirl

For anyone that got the core on Appeal on extenuating circumstances,what did your appeal letter say?

ElleGirl wrote: »
    For anyone that got the core on Appeal on extenuating circumstances,what did your appeal letter say?

Just said...

In consideration of your appeal the panel carefully reviewed the following documents:
    A. Your written statement
    B. The published results (original)
    C. The result obtain during appeals marking

Then it just said you have been credited with FAE core.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 daisy chain

Congrats ChrisROI.
    My appeal was unsuccessful.

I have a job offer at the moment in industry as being let go for failing fae but the new co only willing to give me four weeks unpaid fae repeat leave for core? Do people think this is enough??

Congrats ChrisROI.

I have a job offer at the moment in industry as being let go for failing fae but the new co only willing to give me four weeks unpaid fae repeat leave for core? Do people think this is enough??

I work in industry as well and I don't get any study leave or the day of exams. Start studying now and you'll be laughing come that 4 weeks off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Congrats ChrisROI.

In our firm we are allowed the day of the exam and the day before the exam for study...no unpaid leave allowed. 4 weeks is exceptional imo for repeat students!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lola89

Hi, does anyone know if the FAE revision course timetable is available yet? I can't find it on the institute website, but I thought we were told it would be out before Christmas.

Thanks

Lola89 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if the FAE revision course timetable is available yet? I can't find it on the institute website, but I thought we were told it would be out before Christmas.

Thanks

I'd say it will prob be online today or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bioni

Can someone tell me the dates for the mocks in 2015? Can't find them anywhere and I need to put in my annual leave requests already

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Lads a quick question I passed the FAE'S In September and working in a firm of about 15 what would a realistic salary expectation be now that i'm qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

TooLate wrote: »
    Lads a quick question I passed the FAE'S In September and working in a firm of about 15 what would a realistic salary expectation be now that i'm qualified?

Have you completed your training contract in full?

My Big 4 firm

3rd year - passed FAE first attempt and still in contract 33K
    4th year - passed FAE first attempt and still in cotract 39K

Fully qualified out of contract be about 45K

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Have you completed your training contract in full?

Have about 2 months left

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Hey,
    Any tips on where to start studying with regards the AAFRP??

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Melon head wrote: »
    Hey,

Know Derry Cotters book inside outside out, also it's all about timing too, big time pressure last year, know every standard as they threw a curveball with operating segments last year

Made a mess of the AAFRP last year, I just really did the case study questions in the toolkit and past exam questions.
    Then on the day of the exam very few similar questions came up.

Have to know your standards notes/book inside out

C and up is the target but a RC is NOT the end of the world as some people were being told last year

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

It's good to get a C and up but it's not the end of the world, I got NC and a green in PM

Hey,

Personally I don't think the Derry cotter case study is that relevant. Hear me out though. Here's what I did and got a C with only minimal study:

1) Print Derry Cotters Launch notes. I can't stress how good these are. They cover everything and will be your bible for both aarfp and core.
    2) Have a general look through these, then attempt to complete the AAFRP toolkit *using these notes NOT the solution*. Highlight important bits.
    3) Once you've completed the toolkit, you should be familiar with the standards, go through any parts of standards that you have nothing highlighted in notes. Nothing too strenuous just a read over.
    4) if you really feel that you're still lacking in a standard then I would maybe look at the case study book. Being honest I never touched it for the aafrp though.

I really can't stress how important Derry Cotters notes are. I remember talking to someone last summer about FR and they never looked at them, I was shocked. Even for the core, the notes basically covered off all FR indicators last year.

Be ruthless with your time, there's no right way of doing the exam, go with what feels right, I started with section 1 last year. I completely left out one of the big section 3's on leases, I took one look at it and knew it was a time waster. Speaking to people after who did it and did waste time on it and ended up getting an rc. Don't think that because it's the biggest question it must be the most important.

When we did it last year, the people ahead of us told us, "do the toolkit, you'll be grand". That was bullsh1t. Absolutely nothing from the toolkit came up in the exam. So what did I use? Yes, Derry mother fcuking Cotter's notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Hey,

Go to the CGS workshop on AAFRP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Got HC in this last year. Derry Cotter's launch notes, the AAFRP book of questions and the disclosures notes from the CGS are your friend.

Advertisement