Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookery school (ballymaloe prehaps?)

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi, i am interested in going to cookery school next year .i am currently working in a small restaurant kitchen so i am aware of the pressure of a kitchen environment i would like to up skill and hopefully own my own restaurant in the future. the reason i am not very interested in college is because of the 3 chefs i work with only one of them went to culinary school and she is the worst of the 3 of them (one of them didn't even go to secondary school hah) ive learnt so much but i would like to know more so that i would have my own ideas and input because they already treat me as an equal and ask me my opinion and for suggestions ...balllymaloe is the school witch is most talked about, does it hold a strong influence in a persons career or is there better cookery schools (3month courses) thank you ...ALSO HAS ANYONE BEEN TO BALLYMALOE i know its overpriced but is it good ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have never been to ballymaloe but it is top of my list of places I would love to go.

I have been to other classes in dunbrody house and Dublin cookery school which were fine. But I think ballymaloe is the most respected and comprehensive cookery school. I remember seeing on their website what looked like an excellent week long course called 'opening your own tea rooms' or something similar. It seemed like excellent value for :€1200 for hands on cooking and business information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,443 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did the BM three month course. PM me if you want to know anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

hi just read some of these posts and as this the most recent i'd thought i'd join in. I was recently thinking about the ballymaloe course, i'm in a total different area to that industry, but i do often stop and wonder should i just go for it, i know its expensive and i know they do the short courses but i'm kind of a all or nothing type person. I wouldn't be doing the course to work in a kitchen it would be to start my own little business (artisan type) and learn more about using natural organic ingredients. maybe i'm just being naive? but i do often wonder??
    any views would be gladly appreciated!
    cheers

as above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Culinary studies in the IT are well worth checking out . CAO Offer most places but there are places for mature students also .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've done a couple of the afternoon sessions of the ballymaloe course. Maybe Give that a go to get a feel for it.

They have a really good setup there with the mirror and classroom for demos ( so you can easily see what is going on).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

Hi guys, it's taken me a while to reply on this , duploelabs I'm trying to pm you, but being the techno phone I`am I don't know how?? Sorry! What was your reason for doing the bm course? Did u find it good? And if anybody has enrolled how are u feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - these are discussion forums. If you wish to share info, please do it on-thread. Taking it to PM if not in the spirit of this forum or the site.

tHB

Folks - these are discussion forums. If you wish to share info, please do it on-thread. Taking it to PM if not in the spirit of this forum or the site.

tHB

In fairness, the last time I did that it went in to a whole discussion about some events that happened in Ballymaloe, bans an infractions were handed out, something I'd prefer not to do again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Aye, I remember now & I understand the reasons for your PM comment. :)

Still - by all means discuss Ballymaloe Cookery School here. If anyone goes off-topic again, the mods will take care of it pretty quickly. ;)

tHB

• Advertisement
Advertisement