Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uncertified sick leave query

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

quick query re uncertified sick leave

would it be inappropriate to ask to use my annual leave instead of taking uncertified sick leave ....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Technically employers cannot allow you to take holidays when you are sick, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GarysGirl

Depends on the employer ? I have done this before and my employer was only to happy to assist, worth asking I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stheno wrote: »
    Technically employers cannot allow you to take holidays when you are sick, so yes.

Are you sure?

I know they cannot force you to use annual leave for this, but surely they can let you choose to do so? After all, the stress of being unpaid may make you sicker ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've often seen this being done if requested by the employee, not sure why this would be an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you sure?

I know they cannot force you to use annual leave for this, but surely they can let you choose to do so? After all, the stress of being unpaid may make you sicker ...

Worded it badly, if you are sick while on annual leave, you are entitled to the time back off your annual leave, and if you are on certified sick leave, you cannot be asked to take it as holidays

From Citizens Information
    Sick leave and annual leave
    If you are ill during your annual leave and have a medical certificate for the days you were ill, these sick days will not be counted as annual leave days. Instead, you can use these days as annual leave at a later date.

An employer cannot require you to take annual leave for a certified period of illness. However, illness during the leave year will reduce the total number of hours worked by you and may therefore affect your entitlement to annual leave under the Organisation of Working Time Act. For information about long-term sick leave and annual leave see ‘Further information’ below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Being asked or worse encouraged by your employer to take annual leave instead of sick leave is not permitted. But if the request comes from the employee and is mutually agreed upon by both parties then it's not illegal. Just be sure to have everything documented to confirm what was agreed between you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My employer will not let me use annual leave for a sick day. If I'm sick, I'm sick.

I have been allowed to use annual leave for short notice days after treatment but I've had to word it in such a way as to not say I'm sick.

If you're on certified sick leave it's unlikely you'd be able to use annual leave.

Advertisement