Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf PermaBan

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

I'd like to dispute the permaban I got from the golf forum, I think it's overly severe and not entirely justified.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Dear david-k,

You have been permanently banned from Golf for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

GreeBo

Moderator Note

I guess the internet just isnt for some people.

Your post:
    david-k wrote: »
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I merged all the posts from the lowering your handicap thread.
    So we're manufacturing threads now, how you see fit? this a big leap even for you.
    Also anyone else find it ironic that the biggest advocator of course management doesn't actually know what it is himself?, or is it part of your master plan to educate the masses?.
    Greebo I have to ask, (out of morbid curiosty), what it is you do for a living? and before you answer, my guess is a teacher or some job in the civil service.
    This is the thread my comment above was made in, the thread was manufactured using posts made in a different thread, I hadn't seen this practice done before and genuinely thought it was bizarre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi David-k,

I'll take care of your DRP.

First off, you must attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the mod involved via PM before starting a thread here. Have you done that?

If you are unable to resolve the dispute with the mod in question, a Sports CMod will have a look at your appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hi David-k,

I'll take care of your DRP.

First off, you must attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the mod involved via PM before starting a thread here. Have you done that?

If you are unable to resolve the dispute with the mod in question, a Sports CMod will have a look at your appeal.
    I've PM'd the mod involved twice, but have had no response.

I've contacted the relevant Golf Mod and will revert to you once I've heard from him and had a chance to investigate.

Ok,

David-k, the Golf Mod who has banned you, GreeBo, has let me know he hasnt received any PM from you.

Before we proceed with the DRP can I ask you to PM GreeBo first and see if this can be resolved by going down that route first?

Thank you.

Ok,

David-k, the Golf Mod who has banned you, GreeBo, has let me know he hasnt received any PM from you.

Before we proceed with the DRP can I ask you to PM GreeBo first and see if this can be resolved by going down that route first?

Thank you.
    Thanks,
    That's strange, I'm pretty sure I PM'd him twice, I've just checked my PMs again and yes I can confirm I PM'd twice regarding the Ban, the first PM I clicked "reply" and on the 2nd occasion I typed in the user name greebo when I forwarded the original PM.
    I can forward you the PM's to confirm or I can post them here or even post a screenshot to confirm, in any case I've just sent him another PM.

• Advertisement

I've made contact with Greebo and and he says the ban stands, although it appears he agrees that it wasn't for trolling but for questioning a moderating decision.? what now?.

I've made contact with Greebo and and he says the ban stands, although it appears he agrees that it wasn't for trolling but for questioning a moderating decision.? what now?.

Hi david-k.

I will review your case and let you know my decision in due course.

My internet usage is limited at the moment but Ill reach an outcome ASAP.

Hi David-k,

You were given a permanent ban from Golf back in 2009 for a number of abusive PM's. GreeBo decided to overturn the ban in May 2013 after you appealed it.

Since then you've gone on to be infracted for arguing with a Mod on thread, picked up 3 warnings all the while ignoring a warning that if your behavouir and attitude didn't change your prema-ban would be reinstated.

For your four mod actions since your original Perma-ban and your PM's to GreeBo throughout the DRP process, I see no reason to overturn the decision Perma-ban you from the Golf forum.

You may request an Admin review of this DRP.

Hi David-k,

You were given a permanent ban from Golf back in 2009 for a number of abusive PM's. GreeBo decided to overturn the ban in May 2013 after you appealed it.

Since then you've gone on to be infracted for arguing with a Mod on thread, picked up 3 warnings all the while ignoring a warning that if your behavouir and attitude didn't change your prema-ban would be reinstated.

For your four mod actions since your original Perma-ban and your PM's to GreeBo throughout the DRP process, I see no reason to overturn the decision Perma-ban you from the Golf forum.

You may request an Admin review of this DRP.

Does the slate ever get wiped clean?.
    Had I known at the time that those cards would be used against me in the future I would have appealed them, they were for trivial things at best, hardly worth a mention, when is it too late to appeal a previous card/infraction?.
    You'll have to elaborate on the PM exchange with Greebo, as you seem to be implying I was something other than civil, which simply is not true, also I can assume from the above that you had a PM exchange with Greebo about the situation, yet you made no attempt to contact me other than here on this thread, am I meant to guess what it is you would like me to say? or is it a case of only one side of the story been sufficient?.
    There is more to this than meets the eye.

Does the slate ever get wiped clean?.
    All mod actions/warning/infractions/bans are kept on your record.

For the record you current tally is 4 warnings, 3 infractions and 2 permanent bans, all from the Golf forum and by 2 different Mods.
    Had I known at the time that those cards would be used against me in the future I would have appealed them, they were for trivial things at best, hardly worth a mention, when is it too late to appeal a previous card/infraction?.
    When taking the grand scheme of things into consideration, these cards do count, this is not a once off incident as you have had previous problems in the Golf Forum.
    You'll have to elaborate on the PM exchange with Greebo, as you seem to be implying I was something other than civil, which simply is not true, also I can assume from the above that you had a PM exchange with Greebo about the situation, yet you made no attempt to contact me other than here on this thread, am I meant to guess what it is you would like me to say? or is it a case of only one side of the story been sufficient?.
    There is more to this than meets the eye.

So you didn't call the Mod team little nerds? that is hardly a term of endearment it is?

GreeBo was more then accommodating in letting you back in to the Golf Forum and since then you've managed to argue with the Mod who left you back in and picked up an Infraction and 3 warnings.

Can you clarify if you would like an Admin review of this DRP as you are more then entitled to have them look over it and come to their own conclusions.

• Advertisement

So you didn't call the Mod team little nerds? that is hardly a term of endearment it is?

GreeBo was more then accommodating in letting you back in to the Golf Forum and since then you've managed to argue with the Mod who left you back in and picked up an Infraction and 3 warnings.

Can you clarify if you would like an Admin review of this DRP as you are more then entitled to have them look over it and come to their own conclusions.
    GavRedKing with the greatest of respect, this is the problem with only getting one side of the story, you get partial misinformation by one side trying to push their own agenda.
    Do you have access to all PMs?.
    The following is the PM exchange I had with Greebo regarding the ban.
    GreeBo wrote:
    1) Why do you think you shouldnt be banned?
    2) Why did you pretend to be sending me PMs when you werent?
    david-k wrote:
    Any interest in trying to resolve this outside of DRP?
    GreeBo wrote:
    Dear david-k,

You have been permanently banned from Golf for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

GreeBo

Moderator Note

I guess the internet just isnt for some people.

Your post:
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I merged all the posts from the lowering your handicap thread.
    So we're manufacturing threads now, how you see fit? this a big leap even for you.
    Also anyone else find it ironic that the biggest advocator of course management doesn't actually know what it is himself?, or is it part of your master plan to educate the masses?.
    Greebo I have to ask, (out of morbid curiosty), what it is you do for a living? and before you answer, my guess is a teacher or some job in the civil service.
    david-k wrote:

1) Why do you think you shouldnt be banned? Because I was
    trying to make a valid point as a fellow user of the forum, that's not trolling
    by any definiton I've come across.

2) Why did you pretend to be sending me PMs when
    you werent?

That wasn't/isn't pretense, I did infact send two PM's to
    you regarding the ban, the first one I clicked reply to the PM you sent about
    the ban and the 2nd one I sent a few days later when you enquired as to why I
    was making it up.

That 2nd PM was sent by forwarding the oringinal and tying
    your name into the "recipents" box.

I can forward them to you again, or if you need further
    proof I can post a screen shot of said PMs and of my PM "items sent"
    box.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Because I was trying to make a valid point as a fellow user of the forum, that's not trolling by any definiton I've come across.
    Make a point by accusing a moderator of manufacturing threads to suit their purposes?

That wasn't/isn't pretense, I did infact send two PM's to you regarding the ban, the first one I clicked reply to the PM you sent about the ban and the 2nd one I sent a few days later when you enquired as to why I was making it up.
    That 2nd PM was sent by forwarding the oringinal and tying your name into the "recipents" box.
    I can forward them to you again, or if you need further proof I can post a screen shot of said PMs and of my PM "items sent" box.
    I didnt get a single PM from you.
    In any case, the correct course of action would be to contact another Mod or CMod.
    Opening multiple feedback/helpdesk threads isnt really appreciated, by anyone.
    david-k wrote:
    Make a point by accusing a moderator of manufacturing threads to suit their purposes?
    I didn't realise that mods were completely above reproach then? or is it just some mods?, anyway that's how it appeared to me, why not just start a new thread and let it grow organically.
    I didnt get a single PM from you.
    So you keep claiming, maybe there's some anomaly in boards.ie PM system? I can post screen shots showing they were sent.
    In any case, the correct course of action would be to contact another Mod or CMod.
    I wasn't aware of that at the time, and as I had definetly sent the PMs, it appeared you had chosen to ignore them.
    Opening multiple feedback/helpdesk threads isnt really appreciated, by anyone.
    Sorry to have royally pissed off a few of the fortuate nerds who are "au fait" with all the workings of boards.ie, silly me, like I said above I wasn't aware of the correct procedure and it appeared you had chosen to ignore the PMs, as you had done in the past.
    GreeBo wrote:
    I didn't realise that mods were completely above reproach then? or is it just some mods?, anyway that's how it appeared to me, why not just start a new thread and let it grow organically.
    Thats how you split a thread. You take the relevant posts from the original thread and move them to a new, relevant thread.
    Why you'd feel the need to reproach someone for that beggars belief, but seems to be a common issue with you.

So you keep claiming, maybe there's some anomaly in boards.ie PM system? I can post screen shots showing they were sent.
    I wasn't aware of that at the time, and as I had definetly sent the PMs, it appeared you had chosen to ignore them.
    Yeah thats what I'm claiming.

Sorry to have royally pissed off a few of the fortuate nerds who are "au fait" with all the workings of boards.ie, silly me, like I said above I wasn't aware of the correct procedure and it appeared you had chosen to ignore the PMs, as you had done in the past.

The ban stands. Goodbye.

Nowhere did I call the mod team "little nerds", I incorrectly assumed it was quite clear from the tone of the PM that I was clearly jesting, I admit I was wrong to assume it would be met in that manner.
    Is this process meant to be impartial and objective?, how is that possible to accomplish when one sides opinion is given more weight than anothers?.
    I admit I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be, I admit I have a low tolerance for BS, and can be quite coarse in my posting style and maybe I haven't reacted in the best possible way when I percieved an injustice, can you and Greebo say the same?, I got this permaban for alledged trolling would a troll really go to this much trouble to clear their name?. I enjoy reading the golf forum, I love the game and am passionate about it, I don't see why I should be permanently banned for having a different opinion, surely variety is the spice of life?.
    IMO the permaban is unwarranted and overly harsh and a "lazy mans" solution to having a difference of opinion or just a plain dislike of another poster.

Can you confirm if you would like an admin to review this decision? They will look it at with a fresh set of eyes and make their own judgement.

Can you confirm if you would like an admin to review this decision? They will look it at with a fresh set of eyes and make their own judgement.
    Yes I would like an admin review.

Yes I would like an admin review.

Can admin please review this DRP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have no issue with this ban and here's why:

You were previously given a permaban, and therefore were only posting as someone gave you a second chance. A permanban is meant to be permanent. Being allowed back in after one does not give you a clean slate but the chance to show you're going to be no trouble at all.

Clearly, since you've returned you've not embraced this notion.
    This is not the post of someone grateful for a return but of someone who doesn't quite get that an abrasive attitude doesn't fit with the way Boards works. Between that and your newest cards it seems a mistake letting you back in.

Ban upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement