Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing leak in roof - pics - will this seam sealer do the job??

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

Had a close call in an underground carpark where I drove under metal ducting which had a protruding bolt which was lower than van roof - scraped all along roof and broke open the welded fold near the back doors. (Transit swb - about insulate ply line interior)

Small gap of a few mm created about 8cm long.

I ground down to bare metal and applied isopon p38 and then painted area. But it's still leaking. Pic underneath.

Friend advised seam sealer. I found this online:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_186843_langId_-1_categoryId_212459

Will this do the job?

Any other ideas or advice on applying this product. , Cheers

P1010599.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

filler is porus so won't stop the wet.the sky lights on my old transit were leaking as someone had put some kind of mastic on top of the silicon that was leaking!i stripped it all of and applied some stuff i got from lidl.it's in the same kind of cartridge as silicon but it is a bitumin product.it went on very well,spreads well and is very messy and it stopped the leaks.think it was about €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

why not just use some Wurth ar Sika sealer?

Grey stripe never really dries 100% it's more for sealing bulging seams and welds on the under-carraige. I'd use fiberglass for the roof and plenty of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If the bolt was lower than the advertised height I'd be getting it done professionally at the owner/operators expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steryan

The best product I have used for sealing in roof lights is sikaflex 221. It's quite had to find but you can get it here

http://www.goldenpages.ie/marine-industrial-distribution-dublin-city-D22/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd use fiber glass too, it will put it way for good and if you do a good job sanding it you'll get a good finish.

Advertisement