Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I give in to Eid?

• 09-10-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I give lectures as part of the day job and I have been confronted with the following dilemma.

One of the students in my class is Muslin and has requested that I cancel the lecture on Tuesday 15, since that is Eid (end of Ramadan apparently) which is a day of celebration for Muslims. This is a very small class and it would be possible for me to go along with this request and rearrange the class for another day without too much bother - also I am fairly sure that the non Muslim students in the class would not object to a rearrangement. On the other hand, the tone of the request is quite strident and part of me wants to say "why should I make special arrangements which are not part of the regular timetable?" And if I accede to this request, where would I draw the line (suppose there was 1 Muslim in a class of 2 or 5, or 10, or 100)

I am not sure which way I will go on this one and I would like to have a better reason than 'I don't like religion' to refuse this request. At what point does principle outweigh the normal tendency to be reasonable and accomodating towards another person's request?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Well if your Catholic students asked you to cancel a lecture for Ash Wednesday/Good Friday, your Jewish Student for Purim,your pagan bealtine?
    Unless you are working in a Muslim school I would say no, it is a secular institution and you abide by its calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Not sure what I'd do in this situation. Maybe allow the other students to decide. If a reschedule does not inconvenience anyone else and they all agree to a different time, then I would probably go ahead. If you can't arrange another time that suits every other student though, I would not change the timetable. There is no reason why religious reasons on this day should be put above someone else's reasons (childcare for example) on another day. The class was scheduled for that day originally and unless it suits everyone else to change, I would decline the request. The student who cannot make it due to religious commitments can be given notes after the class and readings to do to cover the lesson perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first reaction would be to punt it up the chain in whatever institution you lecture in, at least to find out their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Actually, just read the OP again, if he was strident, demanding and expectant in his request I would give him Lynskis answer. If he had approached it in a humble fashion I would maybe put it to the other students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would go with no. When I was in college, and it was Eid, I would normally skip lectures that day, and get notes from one of the other lads. If one of the lectures was particularly important, I would just go in for that one. No need to rearrange things imho.

I would never have askied for special consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it takes some neck to ask a teacher to cancel an entire lecture for your own personal benefit.

I'd deny the request simply because it sets a dangerous precedent. Say yes to this student then you'll have to say yes to the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Eid Ul Fitr(the one following directly after Ramadan) would closer in terms of process and celebration of the day to Christmas Day in Christian life, rather than Ash Wednesday etc. Most Muslims will take the day off and visit family and friends, go to the gravesides of deceased loved ones then feast and so on. I've a couple of Muslim chaps working for me and they always take the few days out and celebrate with their family. it's a big thing for them - especially if they're devout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Take everything on a case by case basis. If you can do it and would be happy to do it for non religious reasons, and your students are satisfied then I don't see any reason why you should refuse this request.

In the interest of balance you could always have an exam at the end of that week.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Find out what the policy is for the institution and abide by that - they should have their set holidays posted. If I requested this to attend a wedding or a funeral would you cancel the lecture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

At what point does principle outweigh the normal tendency to be reasonable and accomodating towards another person's request?

This is the key point. Would you move around a lecture to suit a single student for any other reason than this or another religious reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I give lectures as part of the day job and I have been confronted with the following dilemma.

One of the students in my class is Muslin and has requested that I cancel the lecture on Tuesday 15, since that is Eid (end of Ramadan apparently) which is a day of celebration for Muslims. This is a very small class and it would be possible for me to go along with this request and rearrange the class for another day without too much bother - also I am fairly sure that the non Muslim students in the class would not object to a rearrangement. On the other hand, the tone of the request is quite strident and part of me wants to say "why should I make special arrangements which are not part of the regular timetable?" And if I accede to this request, where would I draw the line (suppose there was 1 Muslim in a class of 2 or 5, or 10, or 100)

I am not sure which way I will go on this one and I would like to have a better reason than 'I don't like religion' to refuse this request. At what point does principle outweigh the normal tendency to be reasonable and accomodating towards another person's request?

Thoughts?

...can't postpone for one dude, whatever the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pretty cheeky thing to ask, IMO. Student should at least attempt to arrange for notes to be copied on his behalf.
    my first reaction would be to punt it up the chain in whatever institution you lecture in, at least to find out their policy.
    Good idea. Best to cover your ass, just in case. If the chain of command just shrugs their shoulders, then a firm "no" should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thoughts?

It's not the end of Ramadan, that was weeks ago, it's the other Eid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha

No, I wouldn't inconvenience an entire class for one person.
    I might make a special accommodation if there was a class test that day or something, but beyond that, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would say no. If its anything like my college you will be trying to find a time that suits everyone and then have to contact some office to find out where they can set you up if the usual room is taken. It seems like a lot of effort for everyone not taking a day off vs the 1 student getting the notes from someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Give him an inch and he'll take mile,I'd say no....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

At what point does principle outweigh the normal tendency to be reasonable and accomodating towards another person's request?
    The koran's shurah 8:61 is clear on the topic of reciprocity:
    Koran 8:61 wrote:
    But if they incline to peace, you also incline to it [...]
    Summary: if the person makes some peremptory demand about some item, then I'd make some equivalent demand in return. If they were decent about it though, then I'd be happy to be as flexible as they wanted me to be.

Your call all the same, though I'd bear in mind that one reciprocity-free arrangement may well lead to a demand for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Are students marked on attendance?

If this holy day is similar to Christmas Day for a Muslim it'd be a bit harsh to loose marks for non-attendance. But I don't think rearranging lectures is the way to go. He'll just have to get the notes....

Heck even for a funeral I never asked to rearrange a lecture, just got the notes later.

I wonder if he's asked other professors? It'd be chaos is several lecturers try to rearrange...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think a lot of the responses here are a little harsh tbh.

I worked in a rotating shift environment years ago and one of my team was Muslim, who ended up on a dayshift (rare, only 1/15 shifts we did were daytime) during Ramadan, and we (i.e. my work) tried to accomodate him.

Similiarly there were no facilities in the organisation for him to pray, so a room was set aside.

I suspect there's a culture gap in terms of the request, the OP doesn't understand how significant Eid is, the student didn't explain, so there was no basis for discussing it.

Eid is a significant holiday (like Xmas as others have said) in the Muslim calendar, and as the OP has said that there is no significant impact, and that they believe the other students will accomodate the request, I'd be inclined to facilitate it tbh.

It's a fairly unique situation, in that it can be accomodated, I've friends whose work rota has been changed without regards due to Christians demanding that they not work on Sundays (in a retail environment) on the basis of religious obligation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

3rd Level institutions are supposed to be secular in Ireland. Looking at tcd, DIT and ucd religion plays zero role in the running of the colleges. Although they break from Christmas, its about half though the college term and I imagine without Christianity there would be a break at Christmas anyway.

I would say no to the student. Just explain he doesn't have to come to the lecture if he wants and he can get notes off someone else. If you tried to work your lectures around different religious festivals, it would be a mess. Religion is a lifestyle choice for that individual. Why should you have to make arranges for his/her choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As a lecturer myself I would be a firm No as I think it sets a dangerous precedent.

The student would be aware of the time table/ academic year before enrollment and agreed to this by enrolling.

Is your's the only lecture this student has that day? What about next year?

Will students of other faiths be able to request that lectures which conflict with the observation of their religious festivals be rearranged with the expectation that as a precedent has occurred their request will be granted despite possible inconvenience to other students?

Should all lectures which fall on religiously significant days be rearranged?

I, personally, would firmly but politely decline to rearrange.

Yes, currently in the Western academic model Christian 'holy' days fall during semester breaks (as does harvesting..!) but this is for historical reasons as when the academic year was laid out the Church had a great deal of input and this format has never been changed - but the agricultural calender also played a significant role and students would be 'released' for planting and harvesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, even just to cover your own ass; you don't make policy (i assume) in whatever institution you teach. follow the institution's policy, or seek the feedback of those in charge there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

It doesn't seem to be that big a deal on the surface of it, but I would certainly not make any decision based on how easy it would be for your students to change the date. The problem is that you would be setting a precedent not only for your classes but for the whole institution. I would definitely refer it to the powers that be and let them make the decision. Who knows how diverse your students are going to be in five years from now and having set the precedent you could find yourselves in all sorts of bother accommodating everyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think this is very simple.
    School, college, etc.. is no place for religion and if you follow one then that's your problem and not that of your place of education.
    Imagine if everyone in the class requested special treatment for their religions special day.
    You'd get nothing done.
    It should be a solid NO on that basis alone.
    It's your religion, make your own arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stheno wrote: »

I worked in a rotating shift environment years ago and one of my team was Muslim, who ended up on a dayshift (rare, only 1/15 shifts we did were daytime) during Ramadan, and we (i.e. my work) tried to accomodate him.

Similiarly there were no facilities in the organisation for him to pray, so a room was set aside.
    Not really the same thing though is it? This is more like asking that the entire shift shut down to accommodate this one person's beliefs.

A more reasonable accession to this student's request would be to allow him access to the lecture notes afterwards, or give allowance for someone to set up a video camera to record the lecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

seamus wrote: »
    Not really the same thing though is it? This is more like asking that the entire shift shut down to accommodate this one person's beliefs.

A more reasonable accession to this student's request would be to allow him access to the lecture notes afterwards, or give allowance for someone to set up a video camera to record the lecture.

Exactly. Regardless of whether it's 5 students or 50 students in the class, it's unfair to the others to change their schedules to suit one student. You say they probably wouldn't mind, but you can't know that. If they normally have nothing scheduled at the time you'd want to move it to, they might have something else planned.

If it was a class of ten students for example, one student wanted the time changed because of EID and eight of the other students said that's fine, it's then unfair to the one student who doesn't want the time changed. They either have to go along with it and change their own plans, or say no and be made to look like the bad guy.

Changing the time/date of a class for religion reasons is bringing religion into the equation. I'd say it's best to leave well alone. As seamus said, try to offer a solution if you can to help the student out (ask the other students if maybe someone could give a copy of the notes, or set up a dictaphone, or email him the main points of the lecture or something. But swapping the time and date of a class to suit one student could cause problems for the other students, and it's unfair on them to have their schedule changed as a result of the religious beliefs of one student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Actually, just read the OP again, if he was strident, demanding and expectant in his request I would give him Lynskis answer. If he had approached it in a humble fashion I would maybe put it to the other students.

I agree. With this post when I read the op. I was all for changing the day but the further down I read I changed my mind if he wants to celebrate Eid let him take a day off and maybe explain to him that he will get a lot further in the world by being nice and polite

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its sets a very dangerous precedent,

Whats next? A student can demand that no lectures take place on May the 4th for religious reasons? Hey! Thats a good test case. :)

I would say no, but perhaps allow access to notes etc. If you say yes to this day then by right you have to say yes to every religious day for every faith otherwise you are favoring a certain faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Stheno wrote: »

I suspect there's a culture gap in terms of the request, the OP doesn't understand how significant Eid is, the student didn't explain, so there was no basis for discussing it.

If there is some harm beyond missing the lecture (like a class exam) that should be mitigated since there is a legitimate reason but that doesn't mean everyone should be scheduling their life around one persons religious festivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I personally wouldn't change it. As has been said it's a secular institution (nominally it is any way - i'm sure you have Christmas and easter holidays!). Your students religion is his own concern, he has to fit it in around the world he inhabits, the world doesn't have to fit around his religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Chinese community don't get a day off to ring in their new year
    Celtic supporters don't get a day off to celebrate their annual winning of the SPL
    Clare schoolkids don't get the day off to celebrate the all ireland... oh wait, never mind..

It's complex. If we are to live in an open and inter-cultural society than we should probably consider changing our public holidays to accommodate other cultures.

I would prefer to have muslim people welcomed into Ireland and to allow an exchange of cultures rather than a multi-cultural society where we tolerate each other but rarely mix socially.

Ireland has fewer public holidays than other countries in Europe. I would support a new public holiday to mark EID for the muslim community as a cultural event that anyone can participate in.

Non christians can enjoy christmas, non Muslims might like the chance to experience a festival that celebrates the muslim cultural heritage (the good parts)

But in terms of the OP, I wouldn't go setting up a precedent without at the very least discussing this with the institution to see what their official policy is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If I were a student in the class I'd object to class time schedules being changed for anything but an emergency. What's more valid about a religious holiday than me maybe wanting to head away for a few days with my family and wanting the class changed to accommodate my wishes?

You don't know everyone in the class would agree to a change, plenty of people organise things around a schedule that they've signed up to and might be annoyed, but go along with it just because they don't want to be seen as being awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ireland has fewer public holidays than other countries in Europe. I would support a new public holiday to mark EID for the muslim community as a cultural event that anyone can participate in.

The last thing we need is another public holiday that drifts around according to a lunar calendar, like Easter. And public holidays should be just that - we're stuck with a christian association with many of the ones we have, but the origins of Easter, Christmas, Halloween go back to the solstices and equinoxes, a natural cycle which was worshipped here for thousands of years before anyone had heard of christianity.

More public holidays yes, but they should be not associated with any particular religion, and always be a Monday e.g. first Monday in July could really do with one, and there's a huge gap between start of August and end of October.

If you start adding holidays on the basis of religion (particularly those based on a lunar calendar which is a scheduling nightmare) then where do you draw the line? Which religions get to be favoured? Do you choose all the days associated with those religions? Which to leave out?

Easter should be fixed too, it's a load of nonsense having it move around the calendar (and various christian sects can't even agree on the date.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_of_the_date_of_Easter

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About kicking it up the chain.

I'd be more inclined to ask my superior if there is any policy about giving leeway for mid-term religious holidays, rather than to bring up Eid and this particular Muslim.
    Simply because Headmasters tend to get antsy about that particular religion.
    If there is not tell the student to approach the head office for the next year about it.

I see in Sweden and US various calls for the schools to accommodate Muslims around Ramadan's end and Eid al Adha.
    With increased Muslim immigration into Ireland it will probably become an everyday thing here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ninja900 wrote: »
    The last thing we need is another public holiday that drifts around according to a lunar calendar, like Easter. And public holidays should be just that - we're stuck with a christian association with many of the ones we have, but the origins of Easter, Christmas, Halloween go back to the solstices and equinoxes, a natural cycle which was worshipped here for thousands of years before anyone had heard of christianity.

More public holidays yes, but they should be not associated with any particular religion, and always be a Monday e.g. first Monday in July could really do with one, and there's a huge gap between start of August and end of October.

If you start adding holidays on the basis of religion (particularly those based on a lunar calendar which is a scheduling nightmare) then where do you draw the line? Which religions get to be favoured? Do you choose all the days associated with those religions? Which to leave out?

Easter should be fixed too, it's a load of nonsense having it move around the calendar (and various christian sects can't even agree on the date.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_of_the_date_of_Easter
    I like the mystery attached to floating bank holidays. It makes the calender people work for their blood money, and it's extra work for people like me whose job involves configuring databases to take into account public holidays
    (just trying to stave off redundancy any way I can)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

My understanding is that there is no issue with working or studying during Eid Adha. If it there was a specific religious prohibition on working or studying then maybe, but my understanding is its more of a holiday in the same way Christmas is for Christians, nice to have a holiday but no religious requirement not to work or study on the day. But I may be wrong and if someone more knowledgeable on that issue. In fact I just rang a friend who is Muslim, who has a degree in Islamic Studies, who informed me that there is no religious prohibition on working or studying, in fact he is working on Eid Adha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If this fella just wants to meet up with friends and family who have a traditional celebration on this particular day, I wouldn't like to see him miss out.

On the other hand, I just noticed that this celebration is to honour one of the most disturbing and repugnant morality tales in the whole judaeo/christian/muslim pantheon of disgusting stories......
    It's not the end of Ramadan, that was weeks ago, it's the other Eid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha
    Its "to honour the willingness of the prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his young first-born son Ismail (Ishmael) as an act of submission to God's command"
    In other words; If a voice in your head, which you believe to be God, tells you to go out and murder an innocent person, just do it and have no qualms about it. The christians have the decency to bury this one at the bottom of the pile. But not the muslims, apparently.

This puts a different gloss on it, I think. You cannot in good conscience add any kind of respect or legitimacy to this particular "celebration".

Tell him to mitch, and he can catch up by reading the notes later (on the Sunday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I am not sure which way I will go on this one and I would like to have a better reason than 'I don't like religion' to refuse this request.

So you want to refuse his request on the basis that it is a religious one, so your looking for a false excuse? Its you OP that comes off as "strident".

So you want to refuse his request on the basis that it is a religious one, so your looking for a false excuse? Its you OP that comes off as "strident".

I think you misunderstood both his post and his intentions. He's quite balanced if you ask me. His concern is that by making this accommodation on religious grounds it may set a precedent for other similar but inflexible demands.

My reading of the OP was that a request was made on religious grounds - it was the student who introduced the concept of religion as justification for rescheduling a lecture regardless of the knock- on effect and possible inconvenience to other students.

The OP was trying to be as accommodating as possible while considering all of the factors including other students - something the student in question appears not to have done.

I think you should reconsider to whom the word strident should be applied in this instance - I found your tone to be extremely strident actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Didn't you know by now that it only counts as being a jerk if it's not fully in support of the status quo? Kidchameleon's airtight here because he's just atheist bashing.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood both his post and his intentions. He's quite balanced if you ask me. His concern is that by making this accommodation on religious grounds it may set a precedent for other similar but inflexible demands.

Fair enough.

Could I ask the OP what would be the case if a student asked for a lecture to be moved for reasons other than a religious event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Fair enough.

Could I ask the OP what would be the case if a student asked for a lecture to be moved for reasons other than a religious event?

But what other reason would there be? What reasonable person would ask that a lecture be cancelled just to suit them? If you have a wedding, a funeral, a holiday, a medical appointment, a job interview, whatever, it's up to the student to decide whether it's worth missing the lecture for.

I would NEVER expect a lecture to be rescheduled just to suit me, no matter how genuine my reasons for missing it were.

If it's something that involve several students in the class - e.g. attending a classmate's wedding - that would be different, and you might have a case.

But what other reason would there be? What reasonable person would ask that a lecture be cancelled just to suit them? If you have a wedding, a funeral, a holiday, a medical appointment, a job interview, whatever, it's up to the student to decide whether it's worth missing the lecture for.

I would NEVER expect a lecture to be rescheduled just to suit me, no matter how genuine my reasons for missing it were.

If it's something that involve several students in the class - e.g. attending a classmate's wedding - that would be different, and you might have a case.

I'm a bit confused by that too. I have never encountered a situation where a student requested a lecture be moved for their own personal convenience.
    Never - regardless of the circumstances. Not deaths, not marriages, not accidents, not emergencies.

We have had situations where due to circumstances it would be rearranged for a student to sit an exam but never because it coincided with a religious festival - I can't see that being accepted as a valid reason tbh.

Should universities and colleges rearrange all lectures that occur after sunset on Fridays as some religions prohibit 'work' on the Sabbath?

If you have a wedding, a funeral, a holiday, a medical appointment, a job interview, whatever, it's up to the student to decide whether it's worth missing the lecture for.

Well all those reasons you mention would potentially cause a student to request a change. I could probably think of more reasons too. I agree the student shouldn't expect everyone to change to suit their request, but the OP has been asked to accommodate them in this instance.

Well all those reasons you mention would potentially cause a student to request a change. I could probably think of more reasons too. I agree the student shouldn't expect everyone to change to suit their request, but the OP has been asked to accommodate them in this instance.

If this student were accommodated in this instance it sets a dangerous precedence whereby all future requests would have to be accommodated.

Timetabling is enough of a nightmare as it is without throwing religious festivals into the equation.

What about the point I made re: lectures/lab work/ etc which occur after sunset on Friday - should these be rearranged as they conflict with the Sabbath of some religions?

What next - should lecturers modify their lectures as some topics may conflict with the religious beliefs of some students?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If this student were accommodated in this instance it sets a dangerous precedence whereby all future requests would have to be accommodated.

Not necessarily. Look at every walk of life, school, work, people have once off events that occur from time to time. The school / employer will try to accommodate the person, if they cant then they cant. That's life. I fail to see how the OP accommodating the student is going to mean the student is going to take advantage. The OP could have a word with the student, tell them this is a once off because its possible this time around.
    Timetabling is enough of a nightmare as it is without throwing religious festivals into the equation.

Indeed I agree, but the OP has already stated that on this particular occasion, it would not be a problem:
    This is a very small class and it would be possible for me to go along with this request and rearrange the class for another day without too much bother - also I am fairly sure that the non Muslim students in the class would not object to a rearrangement.
    What about the point I made re: lectures/lab work/ etc which occur after sunset on Friday - should these be rearranged as they conflict with the Sabbath of some religions?

Of course not, that would be ridiculous. The OP is referring to a one off event so this point is groundless.
    What next - should lecturers modify their lectures as some topics may conflict with the religious beliefs of some students?

No I don't think lectures should be modified to suit beliefs of religious students.

Again OP, I'd like to ask, what would you do if a student asked for a lecture to be moved for a non religious event eg. interview, wedding, funeral.

Not necessarily. Look at every walk of life, school, work, people have once off events that occur from time to time. The school / employer will try to accommodate the person, if they cant then they cant. That's life. I fail to see how the OP accommodating the student is going to mean the student is going to take advantage. The OP could have a word with the student, tell them this is a once off because its possible this time around.

Schools will rarely alter class times. Unless it's a serious loss to a student of a teacher. Not even the death of a relative or grandparent would alter class schedules. If a class changes times for anything like holidays or a ceremonies there is a danger of setting a precedent. Your comparison isn't really accurate, or relevant, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think if you agree to do this now, it will set a precedent that may go completely out of hand in time.
    do agree with others, he has some neck to request, nay, demand it happen.

i am sure there are many muslims studying in the country. if each one was to make this request, the education system would eventually ground to a halt.

No, is always a good response i think to anyone who is feeling entitled.

Jernal wrote: »
    Schools will rarely alter class times. Unless it's a serious loss to a student of a teacher. Not even the death of a relative or grandparent would alter class schedules. If a class changes times for anything like holidays or a ceremonies there is a danger of setting a precedent. Your comparison isn't really accurate, or relevant, to be honest.

Agreed, a school weather it be primary or secondary would never change class times. But a college would, it happens all the time. The OP hasnt stated what type of institution it is, but from reading between the lines, it doesn't look to be a primary or secondary school. (I would associate the word "lecture" with a college) Perhaps the OP could specify?

Agreed, a school weather it be primary or secondary would never change class times. But a college would, it happens all the time. The OP hasnt stated what type of institution it is, but from reading between the lines, it doesn't look to be a primary or secondary school. (I would associate the word "lecture" with a college) Perhaps the OP could specify?

Swap the word school for university. IT, seminary, education institution and my point is still the same. Altering class times could set a precedent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement