Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre Budget Booze thread

• 09-10-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭
    M

With my most depressing day of the year approaching next Tuesday I have decided to start a booze thread where as many deals as possible can be posted before D Day, feel free to add :D

Tesco
    Captain Morgan 1 litre €24
    Gordons Gin 1 litre €24
    Smirnoff 1 litre €24
    Jameson 1 litre €32 (apparently it's normally €38.99 rolleyes.png )
    Coors Light 20 330ml bottles €18
    Sol 12 300ml bottles €12
    Heineken 20 330ml bottles €18

Superquinn
    Erdinger 500ml bottles 6 for €12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Dunnes: slabs (24x500ml) of Guinness/Heineken €30; Carlsberg €28; and, Carling €24.

EDIT: I was just over in Dunnes and they also had slabs of Bud for €30, the Canadian Molson for €26 and 18 can slab of Bulmers for €28.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Absolut 1 litre €23 in O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Great thread idea! Time to stock up so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Pretty sure Smirnoff litre is 23 in supervalu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pretty sure Smirnoff litre is 23 in supervalu

Just checked on supervalu.ie and it is, nice one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

asda in enniskillen- 18 pounds (19.60 in euros or thereabouts) for vodka and gin, good brands. Sainsburys in Newry probably the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Give up the drink. Save €€€€€€s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭nitros7

Local Gala stores
    24*Carlsberg/Carling Cans €24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Lidl have Perlenbacher 6 pack with 2 free (8 pack) for normal price of €6.99 runs till Saturday I think. Stock up people but leave some for me!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Pick and mix in Superquinn at the moment.

3 decent bottles of vino for €23

They wouldn't put more tax on wine, would they? We already pay more excise on wine than anyone in Europe. It's bad for the hospitality industry and tourism.

Tax alcopops instead, stupid politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

kn wrote: »
    Dunnes: slabs (24x500ml) of Guinness/Heineken €30; Carlsberg €28; and, Carling €24.

Those slabs were gettable for €24 the last few years in the pre budget deals. Have they put the tax up that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I think half the country will be doing what they did five years ago and just head north to stock up for christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Tesco have cans of Amstel, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Guinness and possilbly other drinks 4 for €5. Heineken is 8 for €12 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

I'm interested in where we can get the best slab prices for Bud, Heineken right now.
    I have a horrible feeling they will jack up the price of beer to have a 'minimum sale price' which a ridiculous excuse to address the issue of teenage drinking!

I'm interested in where we can get the best slab prices for Bud, Heineken right now.
    I have a horrible feeling they will jack up the price of beer to have a 'minimum sale price' which a ridiculous excuse to address the issue of teenage drinking!

So far it seems to be either Dunnes which have 24 cans of Heineken for €30; or Tesco which have 4 cans of Heineken and Budweiser for €5, which also works out at €30 for 24 cans.

No government is going to introduce 'minimum pricing' because that just gives the increased revenue to the manufacturers/retailers. Any increase will come via the Excise Duty.

Denis322 wrote: »
    So far it seems to be either Dunnes which have 24 cans of Heineken for €30; or Tesco which have 4 cans of Heineken and Budweiser for €5, which also works out at €30 for 24 cans.

Get a tenner voucher off your next shop with Dunnes - buy 2 slabs to get the voucher.

EDIT: that offer seems to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

I got two slabs of Guinness from Tesco yesterday delivered for €44, using their four for a fiver offer and the €20 off voucher code listed elsewhere on the BA forum. Same can be done for Heineken and Budweiser.

You can actually get two slabs for €42 if you use click and collect. :)

Danny2580 wrote: »
    I got two slabs of Guinness from Tesco yesterday delivered for €44, using their four for a fiver offer and the €20 off voucher code listed elsewhere on the BA forum. Same can be done for Heineken and Budweiser.

You don't happen to know the voucher code do you? That's a savage deal, but I couldn't find it in the last few pages of the Tesco offers page.

You don't happen to know the voucher code do you? That's a savage deal, but I couldn't find it in the last few pages of the Tesco offers page.

There's a separate thread on that offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There's a separate thread on that offer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057036082

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

No government is going to introduce 'minimum pricing' because that just gives the increased revenue to the manufacturers/retailers. Any increase will come via the Excise Duty.

Same difference....price goes up

danjo-xx wrote: »

That's the old code, just found the new one: RXXF4NC

Just tried it out, works. Thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Danny2580 wrote: »

Great tip! Only problem is I cannot find individual cans of Bud.. just 8 packs!:confused: Been through all their beer and just don't appear to list single cans. Might be the store linked to my account.. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Think government are happy to keep us all pished at home so won't really mess too much with off licenses prices, and either way supermarkets will continue to absorb most of it and still sell below cost in order to get us in the door for more stuff.

I recall last year the slabs were on €24 soon after budget so hopefully same will happen again here soon:D

Think government are happy to keep us all pished at home so won't really mess too much with off licenses prices, and either way supermarkets will continue to absorb most of it and still sell below cost in order to get us in the door for more stuff.

I recall last year the slabs were on €24 soon after budget so hopefully same will happen again here soon:D

I think the supermarkets have been scared off from offering any really great offers anymore because all it does is attract bad publicity in the media and cries for higher taxation/bringing back the below cost selling ban so I doubt the kind of offers out there on slabs will be bettered by much. I remember Tesco offered 2 slabs of beer for €24 one Paddy's Day about 3 or 4 years ago and that kicked off the outcry over supermarket drink pricing.

You might find the slab of Guinness, currently at €30 in Dunnes, cut to maybe €25/26 at best some week before Christmas but that will be the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Tesco have cans of Amstel, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Guinness and possilbly other drinks 4 for €5. Heineken is 8 for €12 also.

they have the 4 for €5 on kopparberg naked apple cans and pear bottles, unfortunately not on the strawberry and lime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is this a bit like last year pre budget panic buying and drink never went up in the budget after?

Hococop wrote: »
    they have the 4 for €5 on kopparberg naked apple cans and pear bottles, unfortunately not on the strawberry and lime

That reminds me! Tesco in Naas had Koppaberg Naked Apple 6 500ml bottles for 7.29! I stocked up then, but I remember it said the offer was on till I think the end of October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Tazz T wrote: »

They wouldn't put more tax on wine, would they? We already pay more excise on wine than anyone in Europe. It's bad for the hospitality industry and tourism.

Rumours of another €1 increase

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Is this a bit like last year pre budget panic buying and drink never went up in the budget after?

Every bottle of wine went up by €1 after last year's budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Access wrote: »
    I think half the country will be doing what they did five years ago and just head north to stock up for christmas.

Completely agree and then there will be the same 'shame on you' complaints. We all do whatever suits our pocket :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

snubbleste wrote: »
    Give up the drink. Save €€€€€€s

And libras too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Every bottle of wine went up by €1 after last year's budget

True but every other drink didn't

True but every other drink didn't

Your original post didn't make this distinction - it gave the impression no drink went up whereas wine actually did go up

"Is this a bit like last year pre budget panic buying and drink never went up in the budget after?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

frank8211 wrote: »
    asda in enniskillen- 18 pounds (19.60 in euros or thereabouts) for vodka and gin, good brands. Sainsburys in Newry probably the same

where are you buying your sterling from ? thats the real bargain here.

the actual cost of £18 is €22ish , so almost the same price as supervalu. With the price of petrol you wouldn't have to drive far to loose any saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

An every-day bargain - Clarke's Bourbon in Aldi for €14. It's not Jack, but it's not far off if you drink it with a mixer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-10-best-bourbons-7546091.html

"Credit where it's due: this won a silver medal at the International Wine and Spirit Competition. Rich in unusually dainty oak flavours, with a remarkable price tag."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I'd be more worried about new laws they bring in to curb drinking.
    Could well introduce minimum pricing on all drink, no more selling below cost form the supermarkets

WARNING: The best before date on the 4 for €5 were very short for the Guinness I picked up today. It was the 29th of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

WARNING: The best before date on the 4 for €5 were very short for the Guinness I picked up today. It was the 29th of this month.

Best before dates on beer :

who-cares%2BAddixx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Surely they wont put up the price of booze this year.
    There will be a big outcry if they do, most will happen is 50c extra on wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

we are already 162% of eu average. we had 1 euro on wine last year. there should be no move on it but i fear they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I wonder what at what point will Irish people stop buying wine as its too expensive. I know an Italian girl who says the wine from her region of Italy is €3,50 a bottle in Italy. But it is €14 here a bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

hfallada wrote: »
    I wonder what at what point will Irish people stop buying wine as its too expensive. I know an Italian girl who says the wine from her region of Italy is €3,50 a bottle in Italy. But it is €14 here a bottle

Have a look a this as an example of us being rode. Take just blossom hill....

www.pidou.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Now that Noonan's lumped another 50c per bottle, this evening might be a good time to avail of the great value in the Superquinn Wine Sale. 3 bottles for €23 is stonking good value - The 2011 Chat-en-Oeuf is a particular highlight.

Also I'm not sure if SQ will absorb the price hike up to the end of the sale, as their brochure lists all deals as being valid until October 22nd...

Wine list: http://content.yudu.com/A2g76t/SQ16A2013/resources/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

50 cent on a bottle of wine and about €2.50 on a litre of spirits, can see the northern fleet warming up for trips across the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When is the excise going up - from midnight tonight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

vicwatson wrote: »
    When is the excise going up - from midnight tonight??

But afaik the price increases shouldnt be seen for a week or two by consumers as publicans/off licenses already have their drink bought off suppliers. Not to say they wont try and screw people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

50 cent on a bottle of wine and about €2.50 on a litre of spirits, can see the northern fleet warming up for trips across the border.

In Dundalk for work on Thursday, Sainsburys Cafe in Newry is looking good for lunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

adamski8 wrote: »
    But afaik the price increases shouldnt be seen for a week or two by consumers as publicans/off licenses already have their drink bought off suppliers. Not to say they wont try and screw people

Guaranteed the publicans will have it up from tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement