Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre Budget Booze thread

2»

Comments

50 cent on a bottle of wine and about €2.50 on a litre of spirits, can see the northern fleet warming up for trips across the border.

Looking like it might be worthwhile again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

50 cent on a bottle of wine and about €2.50 on a litre of spirits, can see the northern fleet warming up for trips across the border.

Unless you are a alcoholic or in the north on business it would never pay you to drive up between the price of fuel and wear etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Danny2580 wrote: »
    I got two slabs of Guinness from Tesco yesterday delivered for €44, using their four for a fiver offer and the €20 off voucher code listed elsewhere on the BA forum. Same can be done for Heineken and Budweiser.

You can actually get two slabs for €42 if you use click and collect. :)

I take it that this ship has sailed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Your original post didn't make this distinction - it gave the impression no drink went up whereas wine actually did go up

"Is this a bit like last year pre budget panic buying and drink never went up in the budget after?"

Ok I'm not a wine drinker and made a partial mistake so don't lose your drawers over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

dodzy wrote: »

I got 2 slabs of guinness delivered today for €44 using the €20 off when you shop online for the first time and I picked a €4 delivery slot, the 4 cans for €5 is on until the 22nd of October and the €20 off a shop of €60 is on until the 1st November the 2 slabs comes to €60 but then go back after checkout and amend your basket putting in the code RXXF4NC ;)

Truckermal wrote: »
    Unless you are a alcoholic or in the north on business it would never pay you to drive up between the price of fuel and wear etc etc.

Sweeping statement alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Before you join the convoy it could be a good idea to work out whether it is worthwhile. A bottle of cheap wine in a UK supermarket will contain only about 20 pence worth of wine. And their half price promotions are only a scam, probably the same happens here too. I saw this report recently on Watchdog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/supermarket-wine-oz-clarke

The advice seems to be to buy more expensive bottles to get any decent value and I would venture to suggest that you could find just as good value here in those categories. Without having done any research and I am not a wine drinker.

The Euro has exchanged for as little as 60 pence and as much as 98 pence with Sterling over the years. To me the exchange rate would be a far bigger consideration in whether something is a bargain rather that a 50 cent increase in tax.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

BTW I don't think the extra 10 cents tax on a measure of spirits in licenced premises will increase the price of a supermarket bottle here by €2.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Supervalue flyer today, 12 cans of Bud/Guinness/Carlsberg & Heineken €14.
    Powers €23
    Hennessy €28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Before you join the convoy it could be a good idea to work out whether it is worthwhile. A bottle of cheap wine in a UK supermarket will contain only about 20 pence worth of wine. And their half price promotions are only a scam, probably the same happens here too. I saw this report recently on Watchdog.

The advice seems to be to buy more expensive bottles to get any decent value and I would venture to suggest that you could find just as good value here in those categories. Without having done any research and I am not a wine drinker.

The Euro has exchanged for as little as 60 pence and as much as 98 pence with Sterling over the years. To me the exchange rate would be a far bigger consideration in whether something is a bargain rather that a 50 cent increase in tax.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

BTW I don't think the extra 10 cents tax on a measure of spirits in licenced premises will increase the price of a supermarket bottle here by €2.50.

Currently roughly 85p sterling to the euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Have a look a this as an example of us being rode. Take just blossom hill....

www.pidou.com

3 litres of that Tesco plonk for €7. I'm seriously thinking about a weekend in France before Xmas. If Irish Ferries or Celtic Link were to do a nice cheap booze cruise coming up to Xmas, I'm sure they'd do well.

Excise on wine in Ireland is beyond a joke at this stage, when you consider half of all EU countries charge nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

So if I take your non researched advice on something you know nothing about I will be grand.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

dodzy wrote: »

I think the ship might still be sailing but the sell by is 29/10 on the cans so you'd want to be planning a Hallowe'en party or a serious drinker! Enjoyed a few of them with the match last night, tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Tazz T wrote: »
    3 litres of that Tesco plonk for €7. I'm seriously thinking about a weekend in France before Xmas. If Irish Ferries or Celtic Link were to do a nice cheap booze cruise coming up to Xmas, I'm sure they'd do well.

Excise on wine in Ireland is beyond a joke at this stage, when you consider half of all EU countries charge nothing at all.

I get to the one in Calais once every 6 weeks or so :)
    Up yours Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Danny2580 wrote: »
    I think the ship might still be sailing but the sell by is 29/10 on the cans so you'd want to be planning a Hallowe'en party or a serious drinker! Enjoyed a few of them with the match last night, tasty.

Just looking for bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

adamski8 wrote: »
    But afaik the price increases shouldnt be seen for a week or two by consumers as publicans/off licenses already have their drink bought off suppliers. Not to say they wont try and screw people

Or a lot longer. Several years ago Tesco "absorbed" the excise increase for a couple of weeks before increasing prices. Then it was revealed they had bought something like 6 months worth of booze pre-budget, i.e. at the lower excise rate, and were profiteering (which isn't illegal of course).

Excise duty is not a sales tax and is not charged at the till. Any place that has its prices up already is ripping consumers off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Currently roughly 85p sterling to the euro.

Meanwhile in the real world An Post will give you 82 pence for your Euro, commission free. Bureaux de Change and Banks will give you about 83.5 pence but they will charge a commission. Best to find out from supermarkets in the North what their exchange rate is. There is no current information that I can find.

Meanwhile in the real world An Post will give you 82 pence for your Euro, commission free. Bureaux de Change and Banks will give you about 83.5 pence but they will charge a commission. Best to find out from supermarkets in the North what their exchange rate is. There is no current information that I can find.

In the real world I usually use my credit card which gives me the actual fx rate iminus about 1.5p. Last time i was up (2 months ago) some shops were giving a generous 90p to the euro (local shops not multiples)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

In the real world I usually use my credit card which gives me the actual fx rate iminus about 1.5p. Last time i was up (2 months ago) some shops were giving a generous 90p to the euro (local shops not multiples)

i bought sterling about 3 wks ago. I needed a right bit so i got rates everywhere so i could to compare. The best i could find was a local supermarket with £1 = €1.21.
    also used my credit card with £1=€1.22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Truckermal wrote: »
    There is an easy hypothetical test to see if its worth your own time & effort.

Say you plan on going up to get booze, you have it worked out that you will save €100.

The test is you imagine your neighbour called in and said "will you drive up north this weekend for me and get me 10 cases of beer, here's €100 for your trouble & petrol, tolls etc, the catch is you are not allowed buy anything for yourself".

This sort of forces you to put a true value on your free time & effort and factor in the real potential costs. Too many people fool themselves and overestimate the savings and value.

donegal. wrote: »
    i bought sterling about 3 wks ago. I needed a right bit so i got rates everywhere so i could to compare. The best i could find was a local supermarket with £1 = €1.21.
    also used my credit card with £1=€1.22

3 weeks ago the euro was trading at roughly 83.6p sterling so using my calculation (actual fx rate iminus about 1.5p) that would equate to a euro being worth 82.1p sterling or £1 = €1.22.

Credit card generally = actual fx rate iminus about 1.5p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can check current rates, you neeed to know your bank charges too

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

note mastercard does not have the additional fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Now that Noonan's lumped another 50c per bottle, this evening might be a good time to avail of the great value in the Superquinn Wine Sale. 3 bottles for €23 is stonking good value - The 2011 Chat-en-Oeuf is a particular highlight.

Also I'm not sure if SQ will absorb the price hike up to the end of the sale, as their brochure lists all deals as being valid until October 22nd...

Wine list: http://content.yudu.com/A2g76t/SQ16A2013/resources/index.htm

They are holding their prices (just bought 30 bottles today)...and you also get 5% off when you buy 6 or more....so 6 bottles of decent wine comes to just under 44, or 7.30 a bottle. That's a pretty good deal, much better than some of the Tesco offers. Also, SQ card holders have been sent a 10 EUR money off voucher this week (and for the next 2 weeks), so I could use that as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Everything seems to be gone up with the fecking budget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Kopparberg cider - Naked Apple - 2.25eur/500ml can in Tesco, BUT at the moment (till 22.10.2013) it's 4x500ml cans for 5.00 Eur (1.25 per can)
    Very good price for such a cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

i have just read over on breaking news, brian hayes has said on a q&a session the goverment are seeking angelas permission to set a minimum price for drink, claiming social reasons, so we will have no reason not to pay our new taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Would most of the supermarkets not have stocked up on alcohol for the christmas, pre budget and can continue to sell at bargain prices at least till stock runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

70Cl Kinsey Vodka in Dunnes Stores for like 13.65 or something like that. Best thing that ever happened me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Would most of the supermarkets not have stocked up on alcohol for the christmas, pre budget and can continue to sell at bargain prices at least till stock runs out.

most would not have the space to store it for that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

gustafo wrote: »
    most would not have the space to store it for that long.
    The DCs would..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

flutered wrote: »
    i have just read over on breaking news, brian hayes has said on a q&a session the goverment are seeking angelas permission to set a minimum price for drink, claiming social reasons, so we will have no reason not to pay our new taxes.

In the original plans, they were going to set a bottle of wine at a minimum of €5 and a can of beer at €1.10. Since then budget increases mean it's past that, so the 'minimum' would have to be a lot higher than what was a originally proposed. I really can't see this getting through. The UK had a abandon their plans for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tazz T wrote: »
    In the original plans, they were going to set a bottle of wine at a minimum of €5 and a can of beer at €1.10. Since then budget increases mean it's past that, so the 'minimum' would have to be a lot higher than what was a originally proposed. I really can't see this getting through. The UK had a abandon their plans for it.
    It's in the European Courts at the moment, and if the Scots manage to introduce minimum pricing with EU approval, the Irish govt have stated they will do the same.

Advertisement