Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Hardware Failure

Options
  • 09-10-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Recently some odd hanging was occurring on my PC (maybe once a week or fortnight) and I had to restart and all was fine. Then Windows Update was hanging at checking for updates and was failing to install some so I knew something was up.

I ran Windows memory diagnostic tool on each individual stick of my RAM and for the last one it said "Hardware problems detected, please contact the manufacturer" yada yada. So I'm guessing that 1 stick has somehow crapped out.

So my questions are:
    How can something like this happen?
    Is that RAM stick totally fit for the bin? (Not sure if I can find my invoices but hopefully I'll get a replacement from Corsair.)
    I am writing this right now with only the one (potentially broken) stick in my machine, if it's that broken, how come my computer works fine most of the time :pac:?
    Why didn't Windows 8 prompt me to do the test? According to Microsoft's page on the test, in most cases Windows will automatically pick up on faulty RAM, so because it didn't I'm thinking it might not actually be faulty?

Any other tips or advice? Should bother running Memtest overnight?

Ram is Corsair Vengeance CML 16GX3M4A 1600C9 (4X4gb) sticks, and the Motherboard is the Asus Rampage IV Formula I believe.

Comments

Always use memtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah cheers I am sending it back tomorrow anyway, but will run this memtest program on it all night and see what happens. I still wonder though why that would happen to RAM, is it normal to just break after a year for no real reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it normal? No. Can it happen? Yes. Simple as, unfortunately.

Advertisement