Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this right ? and overclocking help needed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,306 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

different CPUs have different thresholds, but your sensor might not be calibrated properly as well. Thats still pretty damn hot for operations sake. I have a 1055t on a watercooler and it idles at 20 Celsius, when I had it on air it was around 30-40.

I never had much success clocking the RAM. depends on the setups of course. OC'ing isn't something Im uber comfortable with, I am not that smart with voltages and timings and multipliers and to me its guesswork. My brain is more mechanical, so unless someone already has the settings published for a set of RAM/CPU I tend not to bother. And even when you do have workable clocks it seems like a lot of extra work for a 30% jump in performance, a lot of extra heat to push, and a lot of extra noise as well. I switched back to stock settings and run the fans on low instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Definitely too hot even with the stock cooler. I'm guessing the heatsink isn't connected properly. You should try resetting it to make sure. I MSI's test is similar to intel burn test though it might explain the extreme temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Overheal wrote: »
    different CPUs have different thresholds, but your sensor might not be calibrated properly as well. Thats still pretty damn hot for operations sake. I have a 1055t on a watercooler and it idles at 20 Celsius, when I had it on air it was around 30-40.

I never had much success clocking the RAM. depends on the setups of course. OC'ing isn't something Im uber comfortable with, I am not that smart with voltages and timings and multipliers and to me its guesswork. My brain is more mechanical, so unless someone already has the settings published for a set of RAM/CPU I tend not to bother. And even when you do have workable clocks it seems like a lot of extra work for a 30% jump in performance, a lot of extra heat to push, and a lot of extra noise as well. I switched back to stock settings and run the fans on low instead.

yeah i no its way to hot but thats only when the stress tester is on it idles at 38 - 42 degrees other wise which id consider fine. but i was just like when i seen it hitting the 100 degrees , i was wondering why the fans werent go full blast and/or why is didnt it shut it self down.

and yeah overclocking i wouldnt have much idea what im doing and id rather not do anything untill im completely comfurtable doing it. I was looking at tutorals last night its really easy to OC the ram but i just dont want to risk it being damaged becuase i dont no what im doing fully, but i had the volts at 1.5 and its MHz at 1866 i think < it was 18** something not to sure right now. But i got a little scared becuase i dont no if its right and i dont what my ram to die out anytime soon down to fault of my own so i went back to 1333MHz.

You're not going to get any performance increase in games overclocking the ram so it's not really worth it. You will just end up corrupting the os.

Your processor is not overclockable in the conventional sense. Only intel processors ending in K are overclockable. With a z77 board you should still be able to push it either 4 bins over its max turbo speed or force max turbo on every core.

You shouldn't even consider it until you fix your cooling. 100c is insane and way too hot for a cpu with very low power consumption. Chances are it is throttling under load meaning you are losing performance.

It should not be running that hot even with the stock cooler and an intensive benchmark. What case do you have? How many case fans? I'm pretty sure your cooler is not mounted properly.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You're not going to get any performance increase in games overclocking the ram so it's not really worth it. You will just end up corrupting the os.

Your processor is not overclockable in the conventional sense. Only intel processors ending in K are overclockable. With a z77 board you should still be able to push it either 4 bins over its max turbo speed or force max turbo on every core.

You shouldn't even consider it until you fix your cooling. 100c is insane and way too hot for a cpu with very low power consumption. Chances are it is throttling under load meaning you are losing performance.

It should not be running that hot even with the stock cooler and an intensive benchmark. What case do you have? How many case fans? I'm pretty sure your cooler is not mounted properly.

Oh i no all that will overclocking the cpu thats why i dont bother with it :L but i was just wondering with the ram i no it wont make much of a differnce but its just bordem :P

and yes i no its not good, but i checked it my self the heat sink is on properly but i dont have any paste to put on it so that doesnt help and i have a Xclio nighthawk case with 3 fans, plus the cpu fan and gpu fan pretty standard i no, and i noticed that when i was look at the stress tester when it was running it said there was 0 throttling but i dont no what thats means so i just left it what would be your suggestions of im getting underperformance ?

• Advertisement

If it's the stock cooler it should have had a thin layer of paste already applied.

I don't understand how your temps are so high then but there is definitely something wrong.

If it's the stock cooler it should have had a thin layer of paste already applied.

I don't understand how your temps are so high then but there is definitely something wrong.

yeah there was but took it apart again making sure everything was right.

and yeah me too iv been wouldnt i dont feel like im getting the best i can out of it but i dont no whats wrong so, what can you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

I thought you couldn't overclock the non K versions?

Take out cpu and cooler and reapply the thermal paste and reseat the cooler

creep wrote: »

you cant OC a non k version :P and i dont have paste but i dout that would be the main problem, i couldnt see how it would make that much of a differnce i reakin in something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

LukeyKid wrote: »
    you cant OC a non k version :P and i dont have paste but i dout that would be the main problem, i couldnt see how it would make that much of a differnce i reakin in something else.

Thermal paste on both makes an absolute difference. Without it your CPU will fry. Its definitely the cooler not seated properly or no thermal paste applied or CPU not having thermal paste properly applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

LukeyKid wrote: »

you can buy thermal paste in pcworld for about €10 use artic silver as it is better than pcworld's own brand

You can actually overclock them a bit with some boards. They can be overclocked 4 bins over their max turbo frequency.

So a 3.2ghz i5 3570 (non k) with a turbo of 3.8ghz can be overclocked to 4.2ghz with some z77 boards.

Thermal paste on both makes an absolute difference. Without it your CPU will fry. Its definitely the cooler not seated properly or no thermal paste applied or CPU not having thermal paste properly applied

Creep:
    Would it actually make that much of a difference ? yeah id say ill investin some so :)

Freddy Smelly:
    Thanks for that man have to pick some up :)

BloodBath:
    yeah but i dont have a 3570 (non k) i have a 3450, would i be able to bring that up ?

The 3450's max turbo is 3.5ghz so you should be able to go to 3.9ghz assuming the board you have supports it.

There should be an option in the bios for a "non k overclock" or something similar.

I wouldn't even consider it until you sort your temps though. That cpu should not be going over 70-75c with the stock cooler.

You're a massive 30c over what you should be.

The 3450's max turbo is 3.5ghz so you should be able to go to 3.9ghz assuming the board you have supports it.

There should be an option in the bios for a "non k overclock" or something similar.

I wouldn't even consider it until you sort your temps though. That cpu should not be going over 70-75c with the stock cooler.

You're a massive 30c over what you should be.

oh okay ill have a look for that :) well i was look though a couple of other forums and i came across this https://communities.intel.com/thread/42510 and it is the same as mine , mine idles at that and when put under work with will hit the 50 -58c mark, and when i used the stress tester today it only hit 75-82c so its not as bad, but this stress test is make all 4 cores run at 100% like so i would consider it normal if there using that much power its going to make alot of heat. why dont you download it and see what its like on your pc. Temp wise. its Msi / Intel Extreme tuning utility.

Advertisement