Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble Ahead at Cardiff City? MacKay Sacked *Cardiff Crazy Stuff Here*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

DenMan wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25530074

Unbelievable! He fires MacKay and then promises the new manager money to invest in the squad!

Chairman gets rid of manager and promises new manager money for new players. What is unbelievable about that?

Mackay went to his speed-dial pals in the media to ask for his 3 players but Tan did not want him as the manager, so he was hardly going to give him more cash when he just blew 30 million in the summer.

The media coverage of this whole saga has been extremely worrying and dangerous. Everytime a new story was "leaked" the likes of SSN and the footballing media were queuing up at manager Press Conferences to get their opinion, knowing full well that managers would stick together and side with Mackay (no matter what). They ask ex-pro's in studios and on the radio about the situation knowing that they will side 100% with the "football person" Mackay.

Tan has been portrayed as some sort of lunatic by the football media and "football people" (remember us fans are not "football people". We know nothing about the game according to ex-pro's). Every single Mackay story over the last few months has had the shirt changing story added in as a little side dish, knowing that it will evoke emotion from the plebs in the the stands (people who think they are "football people").

Tan is an extremely successful businessman. He does not have a record of going in and ruining businesses, why would he? You do not just find 1 billion quid under a couch. He is a smarter cookie than any of us or any of the "football people".

Tan has pumped a lot of money into that club. Make no mistake, if Vincent Tan was not at that club, Cardiff would NOT be in the Premier League. Malkay Mackay would NOT be in the Premier League. And Cardiff fans would NOT prefer to be in Championship with a blue jersey, Malkey Mackay as manager, and a "football person" as chairman, no matter what one or two people may say.

I beleive the true story is halfway between Mackay and Tan. Somebody has to provide balance to these things since the "football people" in the media wont. I am finding it so distastful that I need to provide balance somewhere.

• The Mackay-Tan dispute is not related to changing the jerseys colour.
    • Malkay Mackay was given over 30 million to spend in the summer and used the media to try and get Tan to spend more money in January.
    • Vincent Tan does not believe that Mackay has done that well with the money that was spent over the summer. He believes somebody else could have done a better job.
    • (My opinion) Mackay knew he had no future at the club but still stuck about for his severence pay (Nothing wrong with that)
    • Mackay leaked emails from Tan to himself to the media.
    • Mackay courted the media to tell them about wanting to meet Tan but was too busy to meet. He gave details dates and times when he wanted to meet Tan but was too busy. (Remember Tan is a billionaire, he is a busy guy)

I believe that both parties were at fault here. I think Mackay asked for more players in January and Tan said no. Mackay then went to the media and undermined Tan. Tan reacted very poorly. Mackay acted very poorly too by courting the media.

The relationship became untenable. Tan wanted Mackay out but didnt want to pay his contract. Mackey wanted out but didnt want to lose his severnce pay. Tan upped the ante with the email that stated the obvious "Leave or be sacked". Mackay used it as a tool to get more media and "football people" support. Tan had lost the battle of patience and sacked him.

Vincent Tan is not innocent in this whole dispute. Malkay Mackay is not innocent in this dispute. They have both acted like idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not quite sure why the fans of the old Cardiff City are still following this club. EPL football really is a joke. Billionaire playthings funded by idiots buying into the idea that they are part of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Reading on FB that Tan booed off the players after this evenings match.

:o

If this is true, following the sacking of Mackay, hopeing the fans stand up to him, and the board can intervene some how. Whilst some foreign has shown to be good, Tan unfortunately appears to be tearing Cardiff apart.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The media coverage of this whole saga has been extremely worrying and dangerous. Everytime a new story was "leaked" the likes of SSN and the footballing media were queuing up at manager Press Conferences to get their opinion, knowing full well that managers would stick together and side with Mackay (no matter what). They ask ex-pro's in studios and on the radio about the situation knowing that they will side 100% with the "football person" Mackay.

Tan has been portrayed as some sort of lunatic by the football media and "football people" (remember us fans are not "football people". We know nothing about the game according to ex-pro's). Every single Mackay story over the last few months has had the shirt changing story added in as a little side dish, knowing that it will evoke emotion from the plebs in the the stands (people who think they are "football people").

Tan is an extremely successful businessman. He does not have a record of going in and ruining businesses, why would he? You do not just find 1 billion quid under a couch. He is a smarter cookie than any of us or any of the "football people".

Tan has pumped a lot of money into that club. Make no mistake, if Vincent Tan was not at that club, Cardiff would NOT be in the Premier League. Malkay Mackay would NOT be in the Premier League. And Cardiff fans would NOT prefer to be in Championship with a blue jersey, Malkey Mackay as manager, and a "football person" as chairman, no matter what one or two people may say.

I beleive the true story is halfway between Mackay and Tan. Somebody has to provide balance to these things since the "football people" in the media wont. I am finding it so distastful that I need to provide balance somewhere.

• Malkay Mackay was given over 30 million to spend in the summer and used the media to try and get Tan to spend more money in January.
    • Vincent Tan does not believe that Mackay has done that well with the money that was spent over the summer. He believes somebody else could have done a better job.
    • (My opinion) Mackay knew he had no future at the club but still stuck about for his severence pay (Nothing wrong with that)
    • Mackay courted the media to tell them about wanting to meet Tan but was too busy to meet. He gave details dates and times when he wanted to meet Tan but was too busy. (Remember Tan is a billionaire, he is a busy guy)

I believe that both parties were at fault here. I think Mackay asked for more players in January and Tan said no. Mackay then went to the media and undermined Tan. Tan reacted very poorly. Mackay acted very poorly too by courting the media.

The relationship became untenable. Tan wanted Mackay out but didnt want to pay his contract. Mackey wanted out but didnt want to lose his severnce pay. Tan upped the ante with the email that stated the obvious "Leave or be sacked". Mackay used it as a tool to get more media and "football people" support. Tan had lost the battle of patience and sacked him.

Vincent Tan is not innocent in this whole dispute. Malkay Mackay is not innocent in this dispute. They have both acted like idiots.

Good post. Firstly on the "football people" argument, as condescending as it may seem, footballs an industry like any other, and experience within industry is invaluable

Your point on Tan being no fool given his business success is certainly relevant, however he seems native to the difference in culture between the uk and the east. Having worked in Asia myself, I always found there to be massive differences in how business is conducted. The changing of the colour of the shirt probably emphasises this. From a business perspective, it was an irrational decision, and must be costing the club a serious amount in lost revenue

There have been numerous wealthy individuals, successful in the business world, many with experience in other sports that have failed to make a success of their football investment. Hicks & Gillette at Liverpool, David Murray at Rangers etc. his previous success guarantees nothing

While I agree the majority of Cardiff fans are happier playing in red in the prem, then in blue in the championship, I think your underestimating the value placed by many on the clubs culture and tradition. I'm sure there's a sizeable minority who prefer to see their culture etc maintained rather then trade it off for premier league football
    Mint Sauce wrote: »

The clip was far from conclusive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

:o

If this is true, following the sacking of Mackay, hopeing the fans stand up to him, and the board can intervene some how. Whilst some foreign has shown to be good, Tan unfortunately appears to be tearing Cardiff apart.

I think he was actually booing the fans booing him. Hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

I actually am in the process of setting up a football blog at the moment - and my first post definitely reflects some of the views you share in this post!

http://onsideopinion.com/bye-bye-malky-mackay/

The mainstreams media coverage has been heavily biased in Mackay's favour- the Football Weekly podcast is the only place where Mackay's role has been questioned at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

surely off all tan's crimes his greatest one is against fashion!

the hack of him with his red sweatshirt, collar sticking out over it etc...but stuffing this ensemble into his black slacks.........FFS man:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm not going to back Mr tan up, but as alluded to, the so called analysis of the situation in the British media is terrible. There is an institutional old boys network that rails against outsiders. Look at the vilification poured onto mike Ashley for appointing pardew and the Southampton club for appointing ponchetino or whatever his name is over some of the old boys club.

One point....AFAIK Mr tan hasn't cleared any of the clubs debt. He has simply bought it himself. Any money he has 'poured' into the club is owed to him by the club and still will be paid back to him, at a tasty profit I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

digzy wrote: »
    surely off all tan's crimes his greatest one is against fashion!

the hack of him with his red sweatshirt, collar sticking out over it etc...but stuffing this ensemble into his black slacks.........FFS man:cool:

Wrogn forum :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to back Mr tan up, but as alluded to, the so called analysis of the situation in the British media is terrible. There is an institutional old boys network that rails against outsiders. Look at the vilification poured onto mike Ashley for appointing pardew and the Southampton club for appointing ponchetino or whatever his name is over some of the old boys club.

One point....AFAIK Mr tan hasn't cleared any of the clubs debt. He has simply bought it himself. Any money he has 'poured' into the club is owed to him by the club and still will be paid back to him, at a tasty profit I assume.

I would imagine he has "loaned" the money to them. That is the way most of the sugar daddies work. The Abramovich money has all been loaned. Chelsea own Abramovich hundreds of millions but are never expected to pay it back or the accountants find ways to write it off.

Cardiff fans should be very careful on what they wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People criticising the 'old boys' culture as cynical against Tan but then use Mackay 'looking' for 3 players as some form of cynical tactic. Read the actual interview where he said it. Every manager says theyd like new players in a certain window, people are laughably using this regular occurence as a way to bash Mackay with.

Look at Mutch and Campbell, 2 of their best players this seasun. How much did they cost? I think a combined 3 million. Good luck with him finding a manager who want some money to spend. What chairman boo's his own fans/players? A manager would be nuts to take that job if they wanted to have a reasonably sustainable job.

Corholio wrote: »
    People criticising the 'old boys' culture as cynical against Tan but then use Mackay 'looking' for 3 players as some form of cynical tactic. Read the actual interview where he said it. Every manager says theyd like new players in a certain window, people are laughably using this regular occurence as a way to bash Mackay with.

Look at Mutch and Campbell, 2 of their best players this seasun. How much did they cost? I think a combined 3 million. Good luck with him finding a manager who want some money to spend. What chairman boo's his own fans/players? A manager would be nuts to take that job if they wanted to have a reasonably sustainable job.

The fans were booing the players too. And they are not his fans they are supposed fans of the players.

Many a chairman express their views to the players after a match in the dressing room whether it be Johnny Foreigner or not. It has been going on since organised football began. The players are used to unhappy owners.

Also chairmen being unhappy with managers courting the media to get more players is also "regular occurance". Why are we siding with one party and not the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good post Richard H - like most disputes ther are usually 2 sides , and the English media enjoy potraying Tan as the evil bad guy, and Mackay as the faultless hard done by football man - like most disputes , ther is usually 2 sides , and I too doubt that Tan wants to just explode Cardiff, after investing so heavily, in a club that was going under - interesting month for Cardiff and ther fans ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Good post. Firstly on the "football people" argument, as condescending as it may seem, footballs an industry like any other, and experience within industry is invaluable

People who played in the industry or people who ran clubs in the industry.

2 completley different industries.....Would take Quinns and only really Quinns opinion on such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The fans were booing the players too. And they are not his fans they are supposed fans of the players.

Many a chairman express their views to the players after a match in the dressing room whether it be Johnny Foreigner or not. It has been going on since organised football began. The players are used to unhappy owners.

Also chairmen being unhappy with managers courting the media to get more players is also "regular occurance". Why are we siding with one party and not the other.

I didn't see the end but from what I understand the fans were booing the chairman not the players?

Because one has the power to sack someone from their job, the other doesn't. If you think a Chairman openly booing is fine then ok, I don't, and only adds to this guy's bizarre behaviour. I never mentioned anything about him being a foreigner or not by the way.

If Barry Fry was caught on camera booing for half a second it would be "good ol'Barry"

If Vincent Tan does it, its open up the mental home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Raf32 wrote: »

Thats the problem with Tan now, anybody can make up all sorts of crazy shit and it's gonna be beleived

• Advertisement

If Barry Fry was caught on camera booing for half a second it would be "good ol'Barry"

Would it? I'd think Fry would be an idiot also for doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Completely off the mark. No chairman would get away with mass criticism for doing that. You'll get a few people who will intentionally go with the alternative opinion on anything, but you'll find very few who don't think that a chairman booing his players is shocking behaviour.

If that's true I'll be sending in my birthcert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

scudzilla wrote: »
    Thats the problem with Tan now, anybody can make up all sorts of crazy shit and it's gonna be beleived

That's BS if you ask me.
    They say that 8 is lucky in Malaysia.
    But Tan is Chinese Malaysian, therefore numbers regarded as lucky in Chinese culture would be more in his line than Malaysian lucky numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

OGS at Arsenal with Tan.

Just a quick question, does anyone think that Tan is a Man u supporter?
    Changes Cardiff's colours from Blue to Red and now goes after OGS as his Manager :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

OGS at Arsenal with Tan.

Just a quick question, does anyone think that Tan is a Man u supporter?
    Changes Cardiff's colours from Blue to Red and now goes after OGS as his Manager :eek:

Nutter probably thinks he owns Man Utd.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

"@TelegraphSport: Photo: Cardiff City manager-in-waiting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer arriving at the Emirates with Vincent Tan http://t.co/2qCQXmVnFU"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tans wearing blue.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Tans wearing blue.

:confused:

Cardiff's away kit is blue and they' wore it as Arsenal wear red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Vinny Tan is insane.

Ole appointed - I now reverse my prediction of Cardiff being relegated - could be a move similar to Southampton last year - onwards and upwards - with ruthless descion making

I though Fergie advised OGS not to take the job?

Not the best management to be working under. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

OGS better have a Vincent Tan promise not to interfere written in ****ing stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I though Fergie advised OGS not to take the job?

Not the best management to be working under. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

He advised him to choose an owner rather than a club when considering a job. Solskjaer doesn't seem to have taken it on board, but time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He advised him to choose an owner rather than a club when considering a job. Solskjaer doesn't seem to have taken it on board, but time will tell.

To be managing in the Prem it major job that might never arise again for any new manager, not many are going to turn in down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I see it as win-win for OGS. He is managing in England, if they stay up he is doing a good job, and now because everyone thinks Tan is a nutjob, if he gets sacked, his stock won't have fallen.

So a stepping stone really!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    To be managing in the Prem it major job that might never arise again for any new manager, not many are going to turn in down.

True, but it's still going to be stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Oranage2 wrote: »

Nonsense, jobs are readily available in the PL, a manager gets sacked every month. OGS has made a very good name for himself with Molde and IMO should have waited for a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rolling contract apparently ... very risky by OGS .... volatile owner , insecure contract (in terms of length) - potentially small payout if sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I wonder will Solskjaer only manage the last 20 minutes of every game?

• Advertisement

I always think there should be a greater stigma attached to managers who speak to clubs while another manager is still there, as it appears Sholskjaer has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Honest question. What makes OGS a good managerial appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

dsmythy wrote: »

He would the league in Norway dont you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

He went to Molde and won them three titles in his first three years. Don't think they had ever won anything prior to that

I wonder will Solskjaer only manage the last 20 minutes of every game?

Well, yes, but they'll get a coupe of late goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Timmyctc wrote: »
    He went to Molde and won them three titles in his first three years. Don't think they had ever won anything prior to that
    won 2 league titles and domestic cup.First title for Molde and he was very highly thought of when he coached teams at United.Big step up but it is a good opportunity for OGS.

Irrespective of whether he succeeds or not, I think he's a good appointment.

It was always said that as a player, the reason he was so effective coming off the bench was down to how well he read the game as an observer. Obviously that being the case, it would bode well for a career in management.

He served his time as a coach at united under ferguson, I think he was reserve manager so has experience not only in working under the most successful manager of a generation, but also in bringing young players through. I think it was shown recently that united's academy has supplied more players in the English professional leagues then any other. While I'm not crediting sholskjaer with that, experience within that set up is an obvious advantage. He alluded today to keeping diaries and studying methods, so obviously he's a guy keen to learn and expand his knowledge, and in working at united, no doubt would have gained a great deal

While I know nothing of Norwegian football, he appears to have had a reasonable amount of success there, and importantly gained experience in the practicalities of management at a low, but competitive level

As I said, he comes across as an intelligent guy, with a great background to set himself up for a career in management. Whether he'll succeed or not, I don't know, but irrespective I think he's a good appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Tan's instructions for OGS have been leaked;

Bc_1fTnCQAAjuls.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That's BS if you ask me.
    They say that 8 is lucky in Malaysia.
    But Tan is Chinese Malaysian, therefore numbers regarded as lucky in Chinese culture would be more in his line than Malaysian lucky numbers

It's not though, people believe anything that's in the papers.

And I sincerely doubt someone that has made himself a fortune in excess of a billion over the course of his life believes in such superstitions, Chinese Malaysian or not.

THFC wrote: »
    It's not though, people believe anything that's in the papers.

And I sincerely doubt someone that has made himself a fortune in excess of a billion over the course of his life believes in such superstitions, Chinese Malaysian or not.

agree , some real nonsense being written about Tan - a year ago , the same was written about Southampton for sacking Atkins, one year on, looks like they were right. You don't make the money Tan did by just being a bafoon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement