Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you love your house when you bought it?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i'm sick of viewing houses but we've spotted a house we think ticks the boxes. I don't love it though but then if I decorate it the way we want would I love it then. did you love the house you bought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The interior and exterior were not very nice but I saw the potential in the building. The interior was like something from Dallas in the 80s. I was prepared to put in the work so could see past it. After living here 10 years I still have plans for the property and have plans for when I leave it to rent it out when I downsize. The interior and exterior are completely different now. The only thing I didn't change is the windows

When I was looking forgetting about personal likes and dislike I looked at resale value and potential for renting. Some people thought I was overly concerned about this and went on about it being my "home". 10 years later my house has retained it's value and houses they bought have depreciated massively.

This is the biggest investment you are ever likely to make so think of it in practical terms and personal terms. If your tastes are anyway out of the norm you probably aren't going to find a house for that. You have to create that yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The house? Not particularly, but we loved the location, and loved the site/aspect/size. That's about it. The house itself was fine, nothing terribly special about an 80's build. But that can be changed to our own taste down the line.

I'd take a mediocre house in a fantabulous location rather than a fab house in a crappy location any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The chances are you wouldnt love everything about the house. But if you see the potential and the way you would like it to look,buy it. My house brought their dream. Except the house looks nothing like when they brought it. Windows were replaced, floor sanded, walls stripped of a dark green vinyl wallpaper, a new extension added, kitchen completely changed, walls knocked etc etc.

OP if you love the location, price and potential its the right house. There is a very slim chance you will walk into a house and say I love it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Nope, just the location and price. The house itself was pretty awful on the inside and needed a serious amount of work, I remember being quite down-hearted, knowing the amount of work that would be needed, but also knowing that we would be definitely putting in a bid.

I really think that people who think you need to 'fall in love' with a house are on the wrong track - and without being sexist, imo it seems to be mostly women who have this view.
    Buying a house should be a cold-hearted business decision. Know what you're looking for and calmly assess the options open to you. Do not get overly emotionally attached to any house that you view. I've seen couples pay well over the odds for a house because one of them has 'fallen in love' with the property.

Nope, just the location and price. The house itself was pretty awful on the inside and needed a serious amount of work, I remember being quite down-hearted, knowing the amount of work that would be needed, but also knowing that we would be definitely putting in a bid.

I really think that people who think you need to 'fall in love' with a house are on the wrong track - and without being sexist, imo it seems to be mostly women who have this view.
    Buying a house should be a cold-hearted business decision. Know what you're looking for and calmly assess the options open to you. Do not get overly emotionally attached to any house that you view. I've seen couples pay well over the odds for a house because one of them has 'fallen in love' with the property.

In fairness I think it depends on what you are willing to do and can afford. If you can afford a house that is in walk in condition in the area you want who wouldn't. It applies mostly to 2nd hand houses in fairness.

I do think there is an element of male versus females on the view. Men tend to be willing to do work or say they can do it and woman more practical on the possibility of getting it done in a reasonable time. Not always the case but often enough to be a pattern. There are differences in the sexes which should be acknowledged and men are better at 3d orientation so likely to see beyond the style of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Yup. Part-tiled, wires still hanging out of the walls, loved it then, still love it now.

Will never buy a house or a car without loving it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I didn't love it yet when we bought it, but I could see the potential and it ticked a lot of boxes for us. We'd spent over 6 months looking at houses and got a bit fed up with it so we were willing to compromise on a few things. We got the keys about a month ago and have been working at updating/improving it ever since and I do love it now. There wasn't a lot of interest in our house at the time because of the dated/dowdy interior, but we could see past that - obviously not a lot of people could though. This is not really gender specific though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

who actually loves a house ? If it ticks the boxes of the key things you want then after that its about putting your own touches to it.

everybody has wants

size
    garden orientation
    parking
    price

etc etc

if it ticks the boxes it ticks the boxes. Getting emotional about a property you don't own only leads to one thing.

Overpaying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

didnt love it but ticked the boxes, it was within my price range, and was roughly in the area i wanted.

i could see through the horrendous 70's decor and see the potentionial. am here 10 years and i have loved and despised it in equal amounts.

i am content with it now but that's not to say if i won the lotto tomorrow, i wouldn't close the door and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The house we got had weeds as tall as the house in the back garden in fact we were surprised at the size of the garden when it was cleared, it needed a new windows, heating, kitchen, bathroom the basic house was sound but had been lived in by an old person and then empty for two years, so no we didn't love it when we got it but we do now. The big attraction was that in was in an area we wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

without being sexist, imo it seems to be mostly women who have this view.
    Buying a house should be a cold-hearted business decision.
    Two issues...
    Firstly, how is your primary residence a business decision? It's a financial decision for sure, and a large one... but monetary speculation on your home, with a view to making an income off it, got a lot of people into a big fat mess. Your home does not equal your business.

And secondly, seeing as no-one else has bothered to slap you for this one.. I guess I have to take it up myself.
    Saying 'without being sexist' doesn't actually make that not-sexist. I'm more than able to make a business decision, even in a skirt. *gasp!* See post above where I described my own property buying process, which was exactly the same as every other "cold-hearted" mans. My property purchases are far from aesthetically valued. Return-wise, all are fully occupied and earning their way, which is more than I can say for a lot of the units in this country. So I can't be going too far wrong. How are yours doing?

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There are differences in the sexes which should be acknowledged and men are better at 3d orientation so likely to see beyond the style of the house.

Wow, how do we even walk in a straight line?

"Men are better at". Give me strength.

Some men are better at 3D orientation than some women, but plenty of women are far better at it than plenty of men too. I'd count myself in there, being an engineer by trade. Blanket generalisations about people based only on their genitals are obnoxious and offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you mean "and without [intending] being sexist" [EDIT] Below, Frank Black has clarified his post by saying he is referring to his experiences.[/EDIT]
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    . There are differences in the sexes which should be acknowledged and men are better at 3d orientation so likely to see beyond the style of the house.

Perhaps using 'some men are better' or 'men tend to be better' or 'the stereotypical man' might make these posts a bit more acceptable.

Yes, it is often women that we hear saying things like they love their properties, but that doesn't mean that only women think it. My friend really likes his apartment (central, but near park, quiet, good light), I don't think he would use the word 'love' about it, but his liking it might be as strong as someone else's love for their property.

My sister is a CAD technician and can readily understand a 3D piping system in a factory presented on a 2D drawing. Not bad for someone who describes the paint on her chimney breast as 'straw yellow'.

pwurple wrote: »
    And secondly, seeing as no-one else has bothered to slap you for this one.. I guess I have to take it up myself.
    Saying 'without being sexist' doesn't actually make that not-sexist. I'm more than able to make a business decision, even in a skirt. *gasp!* See post above where I described my own property buying process, which was exactly the same as every other "cold-hearted" mans. My property purchases are far from aesthetically valued. Return-wise, all are fully occupied and earning their way, which is more than I can say for a lot of the units in this country. So I can't be going too far wrong. How are yours doing?

In my experience, it is usually the woman in a couple who has the whole 'need to fall in love with a property' view.
    Sorry if this annoys you, but it is based on my experience, so tough.

What you're trying to do is to extrapolate my comment based on a relativly small number of cases and apply it to every woman - which in my opinion is more sexist that the original comment.

As for you comments on your property 'units', I'm not an property investor - I'm an home-owner and I don't really see the relevance of your comments to the matter under discussion, unless it's to demonstrate what a great property investor you are - in which case, I'm really delighted for you - well done.

pwurple wrote: »

Wow, how do we even walk in a straight line?

"Men are better at". Give me strength.

Some men are better at 3D orientation than some women, but plenty of women are far better at it than plenty of men too. I'd count myself in there, being an engineer by trade. Blanket generalisations about people based only on their genitals are obnoxious and offensive.
    Victor wrote: »
    I think you mean "and without [intending] being sexist"
    Perhaps using 'some men are better' or 'men tend to be better' or 'the stereotypical man' might make these posts a bit more acceptable.

Sorry but if you want to force a PC notion on reality you are missing actual differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_visualization_ability

It isn't a theory of mine or sexist it is a known quantifiable difference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_intelligence

It is like arguing postman is not an acceptable term when it covers both men and woman in the English language.

The fact my post clearly stated it was not always the case I was saying some men versus some woman. If I had mentioned men as being stronger than woman in the same way I doubt anyone would have said anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Back to original topic -

Yes, I bought my house on Visa (well paid the deposit). I JUST LOVED IT. New build, wasn't intending buying, had sold house to ex and was back licking wounds at parents....mother dragged me out as the house was now awash with tears, and for something to do we came to look at these. Last one on list, stationed mother in hallway to deter others as I raced off to do the deed. Resigned from my job the next day as well (I don't do things by halves, btw I have a Masters so not stupid or flighty).

Simple things -

Separate kitchen (big enough for table) and living room
    Stairs, so a duplex felt like a house
    Really solid - mate who did snag list on house I had sold (350 snags, including getting a window moved) could only find two, and that was only because I was trying to delay because of financing
    Little bit that juts off bedroom hence creating dressing room
    Enough away from my parents to require that they phone before calling in but not far enough that I can't fly home in a few minutes off-peak
    Service charge reasonable - garden and bins included - so again I have illusion of house without upkeep.

I'm welling up here!

9 years later, still dead happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wasn't drawing attention to your sexist remarks just for fun- and for the record- arguing with a moderator on thread will get you banned in most forums. Cop on. If you want to discuss the current topic- fine- if you want instead to argue about what constitutes sexism- take it elsewhere. No more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A house isn't a person.
    You don't have to love it as it is.
    So long as you love what it could be, you're fine.

Victor wasn't drawing attention to your sexist remarks just for fun- and for the record- arguing with a moderator on thread will get you banned in most forums. Cop on. If you want to discuss the current topic- fine- if you want instead to argue about what constitutes sexism- take it elsewhere. No more warnings.

Is this comment direct at me?
    Because I wasn't arguing with a Mod - howwever if someone accuses you of being sexist I think it's only fair to have a right of reply,

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

I fell totally in love with the location and layout of my house on sight, and eleven years later, whenever I leave or return to my street, I fall in love with it all over again. Everything else about it was horrible, the ugliest bathrooms you have ever seen Etc. Only concern yourself with the big stuff, everything else can be changed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no,when I bought my 1st one I was just delighted to have bought a house,with this one I kind of did fall for it a bit,it ticked most boxes and fitted our budget and was near the school and train.
    It needs loads of cosmetic work but some day it will be my dream house hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement