Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Companies That Have Commercial Vehicles Foe Hire Pay Commercial Or Private Tax?

• 09-10-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

If I wanted to hire out commercial vehicles, say some vans could I tax them commercially?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    If I wanted to hire out commercial vehicles, say some vans could I tax them commercially?

We hire out vans at work on a regular basis and the arrangement is that the vehicle arrives taxed and tested but we provide the insurance. We hire from nationwide companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

marzic wrote: »
    We hire out vans at work on a regular basis and the arrangement is that the vehicle arrives taxed and tested but we provide the insurance. We hire from nationwide companies.

Thanks marzic. I was thinking more if I wanted to hire vans to other people for example tourists. Would the vans have to be taxed privately because they were being used for private purpose or could they be taxed commercially because the their hire is a commercial venture.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Thanks marzic. I was thinking more if I wanted to hire vans to other people for example tourists. Would the vans have to be taxed privately because they were being used for private purpose or could they be taxed commercially because the their hire is a commercial venture.

This is my understanding and open to correction.

Commerical vechical should be commerically taxed and only used for comerical use.

Technically a commerical has had the vat claimed back and lower VRT on the condition it remains a commercial.

To use it for domestic pleasure use it would need to be re-reg as private vehicle and taxed privately. Liable to extra charges.

Loop hole in typical government / revenue grab for money if you own a commercial and use it privately your not allowed to tax it commercial but tax office will charge you private rate. The addition VRT charge isnt sought. But you can't NCT but have to DOE for road worthiness certificate. (Big grey area)

Be easier to convert to PSV or camper at least they have a proper classification and reduced tax.

Or you could hire it to tourists on condision its used for business.

Generally if a member of public hires a van its implied it for business and taxed commercially.
    When I had loan van from rental company it was taxed commercial and I used my own commercial insurance.

Ok I got it on second read - if you are operating this as a business then they are commercial vehicles in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

So, if I need a 4x4 to tow my boat to the coast at the weekend, I could not hire one if it has commercial tax:(

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    So, if I need a 4x4 to tow my boat to the coast at the weekend, I could not hire one if it has commercial tax:(

in my view you could provided it is a commercial 4x4, the commercial aspect is that it is for hire. If you hire a van off enterprize or any van rental co. they dont ask if it is for commercial or private use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

marzic wrote: »
    in my view you could provided it is a commercial 4x4, the commercial aspect is that it is for hire. If you hire a van off enterprize or any van rental co. they dont ask if it is for commercial or private use

Exactly.
    To be honest who actually taxes there commercial 4x4 private? I'd imagine very few as money for private tax does not grow on trees.

Do worry OP - you will have no hassle.

Advertisement