Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It seems that the 'Blasphemy Law' could affect Boards

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

How could anyone think that you have prejudices against Muslims?

So what is it about some Muslim men that can't stop raping every woman they meet?

Is it this same inherent sexual deviancy that makes a neighbourhood suspect an innocent Muslim man of sexual deviancy and beat burn him death outside his home?
    We have had this discussion before. I do not believe that muslim men are anymore predisposed to raping women that men of any other religion or men of no religion.

I find that tee-shirt funny because to people that demand women cover up frequently use the excuse that men would be unable to control themselves if the women weren't wearing the burka. I have not seen any credible evidence to suggest that muslim men are more likely to be rapist than non-muslim men, therefore I operate on the assumption that they don't.

The idea of muslim men being rapists, and hence the humour of the tee-shirt, comes from the muslim clerics that demand that women should be covered up. My post that you have used was in, if I recall correctly, a thread about the burka, though I have posted it several times (I really like that tee-shirt), my words "what is it about some muslim men that they apparently can't" were meant in the sense that some people, specifically imams and others calling for women to be covered up, believe that muslim men can't control themselves. To be honest, I though that was fairly obvious. Only someone really stupid or someone trying really hard to assign meaning that isn't there so they can push a particular agenda would not see what I was trying to do.

Like I say, I have explained this to you before, so I am not sure why you are still trotting it out. Unfortunately you continued misinterpretation of this post, even after it has been explained to you does nothing to help me narrow down which type of person you are, really stupid or pushing a particular agenda, or an exotic combination of the two are all potentially valid.

MrP

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

So when you said:

I feel privileged that, as a man, I am capable of not sexually assaulting or raping every woman I meet, irrespective of what she is wearing. What is it about some muslim men that they apparently can't?

What you really meant to say was:

I don't feel privileged that, as a man, I am capable of not sexually assaulting or raping every woman I meet, irrespective of what she is wearing. What is it about some muslim men that they
    apparently can't? are exactly the same as everyone else and are no more prone to rape anyone than I am?

Do you honestly expect me to believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So when you said:

I feel privileged that, as a man, I am capable of not sexually assaulting or raping every woman I meet, irrespective of what she is wearing. What is it about some muslim men that they apparently can't?

What you really meant to say was:

I don't feel privileged that, as a man, I am capable of not sexually assaulting or raping every woman I meet, irrespective of what she is wearing. What is it about some muslim men that they
    apparently can't? are exactly the same as everyone else and are no more prone to rape anyone than I am?

Do you honestly expect me to believe that?
    No, what I meant was, as I have explained several times, some muslim men apparently think that muslim men won't be able to stop themselves form raping women if they are not covered up.

That is the joke in the tee-shirt... One justificaiton for forcing women to wear the burka is that men would otherwise not be able to control themselves. This is the opinion of other muslim men, not me.

Guys (meaning anyone other than BB) help me out here, is this really that hard to understand? I genuinely think it is pretty simple. The tee-shirt, with the thread and the context...

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 51,865 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Fictional, mythological or real it doesn't make any difference. The "individual" can be a symbol. Muhammed can obviously be a symbol of Muslims.

so if I post a picture of Muhammed as a violent killer that's instantly stating that Muslims are violent killers? Even though I don't for one second agree with that sentiment? :confused:

EDIT: @MrP: I got the same message as you've stated from said t-shirt.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No, not at all. Honestly, how can you not understand this.

I will try and rephrase it for what must be the 5th time now...

I have no problem with blasphemy of itself.
    I would prefer if people didn't go out of their way to offend others for no reason other than to offend but I believe it is their right to do so, What I have a problem with is when people abuse this liberty. When the publication of blasphemous material is wrapped up in racial or religious stereotypes which demonises groups as a whole.

Cartoons/Satire/art are all effective rhetorical means of reinforcing and spreading prejudices against the "other". It is this spreading of hatred that I have a problem with primarily because it can lead to hate crimes against the stereotyped inluding murder motivated by this anti-religious hatred.

Please try to understand this time.

How can you not understand that the images I shared are doing exactly what you are complaining about?

The only difference being they are from the 16th century and the target is Roman Catholics - but apparently you are fine with that.

Double standards no?

koth wrote: »
    so if I post a picture of Muhammed as a violent killer that's instantly stating that Muslims are violent killers? Even though I don't for one second agree with that sentiment? :confused: .
    No, an image of Muhammed can be simply that. It depends on the metaphors, symbols and stereotypes that are used.
    koth wrote: »
    EDIT: @MrP: I got the same message as you've stated from said t-shirt.
    So you then also feel "privileged" that as a non-Muslim you don't go around raping every woman you see unlike some Muslims?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How can you not understand that the images I shared are doing exactly what you are complaining about?

The only difference being they are from the 16th century and the target is Roman Catholics - but apparently you are fine with that.

Double standards no?

If that is the case I would be interested to learn how the images you posted are:

"blasphemous material (that) is wrapped up in racial or religious stereotypes which demonises groups as a whole."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So you then also feel "privileged" that as a non-Muslim you don't go around raping every woman you see unlike some Muslims?

Ohh Ffs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement