Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phone outlet

Options
  • 10-10-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of help here.
    I terminated some cat5 connections for an office recently and they had run one cat5 to a phone point.

The chap that had run the cable had put this eircom box on the end of it and use blue blue/white wires only just tying back the other 6.

THe phone system they use is a small exchange Siemens I think and is a four wire system. I eventually got it working by copying the bad job that someone else had made of another connection elsewhere in the building.

What I would like to do is use this box.

Does anyone know the wiring schematic for this box.

By the way this box is rj11 as are the phone connections.

2013-10-07121415.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The quickest way to determine which connector to use is to use a multimeter preferably with a buzzer on it to test shorts.

The inner 2 of the 4 prongs of the RJ11 springs are what you are looking to find at the Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC)

When you find them using the meter use a Krone tool to punch down the unstripped wires.
    Use the blue pair, no polarity required.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Thanks Xantia,

I was looking at this earlier today and I had the same thought, follow the connections with a multimeter.

The siemens system in this office has a 4 wire phone system, 2 wires just doesnt work.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

It would be a very old Siemens system that has 4 wire phones.
    All the Optisets/Optipoints and analogues use only 2 wires.

Advertisement