Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy estate agent

Options
  • 10-10-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice on a recent attempt I made to buy a house.

I made an offer on a property about 9 months ago, and was the highest bidder for quite a long time. After about 3 months I got a phone call asking me to up my bid by 10K and the place would be mine, but before I could even figure out if I could manage the extra 10, the agent rang me to say another bidder had put 15K on my bid. This all happened on one day. I had to bow out at that point.

I have now just found the property listed on the property price register as having sold at 15k less than my bid. Is there something obvious I'm confused about here, or have I (and the previous owner) been swindled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Report them to the relevant Authorities. You could also make an objection to their getting a new licence at their next renewal date . You used to be able to do this by lodging an objection to the local court, but renewals not handled by the court now. They are required to keep record of all bids received.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sounds like they had a family member/friend interested in the house and they used supposed 'bid increases' to get you out of the way. Report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Sounds like they had a family member/friend interested in the house and they used supposed 'bid increases' to get you out of the way. Report them.

Is there anything to say that a owner can't sell to someone else even though they offered less.
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't so what laws have been broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Scortho wrote: »
    Is there anything to say that a owner can't sell to someone else even though they offered less.
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't so what laws have been broken?

If OP's offer has been passed onto the owner at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mhge wrote: »
    If OP's offer has been passed onto the owner at all.

We bought our previous house at €5K less than an offer that was already on it because we were first time buyers, had everything in place and the owner wanted a quick sale.
    I'm not sure what the circumstances in this case were, but the scenario you outlined is possible without any wrong-doing by the estate agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There are plenty of possibilities without the estate agent being dodgy.
    Something could have come up during surveys that resulted in the price being reduced, a portion of the total may have been for contents and not reflected on the ppr (no idea how legal this is), the seller may have just been trying to get the market to value the property before selling to a relative, the buyer/seller may have used cash for a portion to save on tax/put the house in a lower tax band (definately illegal) etc

Advertisement