Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I join a tri club?

Options
  • 10-10-2013 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start doing duathlons in2014, at the minute I can't swim, can't get my coordination right, and in just wondering would joining my local triathlon club (setanta) be of any benifit to me in doing duathlons as opposed to triathlons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

no doubt it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ps but iam not sure that in order to be a member you need to have a bike thats worth more than an old bmw ;-)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know nothing about Setanta. Joining a club would definitely benefit you if you start doing training sessions with the club. Even if nothing else, you'll pick up info and help from the people around you, and it can be great for motivation.

If you want to eventually get into tri, yeah, the swimming takes work. The best thing you can do for yourself is one-to-one coaching now and again. It will iron out any glaring problems and get you moving. From there you could join club swim sets and before you know it you'll be a mid pack swimmer. (Getting good takes a bit more effort ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    ps but iam not sure that in order to be a member you need to have a bike thats worth more than an old bmw ;-)

Eh this is Setanta. If its not a P5 (or similar) with Lightweight(the brand) wheels, a power meter and electronic shifting they put you in the pover group.

(That being said by all accounts they are a nice crowd and I would recommend joining them too)

Advertisement