Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Expo 2013 (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    So as crap as it was the last 2 years my friend wants to go this year so we'll go along too for puppy socalization...and the fact that it's a fiver in with a Pigsback voucher!:p;) Just wondering which day is quieter - Saturday or Sunday?

http://offers.pigsback.com/offer/96889?utm_source=DailyAlert&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20131009

I will be there on a stand with my dogs. We put a lot of work into it! I reckon Saturday will be quieter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Knine wrote: »
    I will be there on a stand with my dogs. We put a lot of work into it! I reckon Saturday will be quieter!

Yeah i thought saturday would be better! Obviously you guys in the breed village are all fantastic but the rest was a bit rubbish and sparse! There was a burger van inside setting of the alarm every few mins for example lol :p:pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah i thought saturday would be better! Obviously you guys in the breed village are all fantastic but the rest was a bit rubbish and sparse! There was a burger van inside setting of the alarm every few mins for example lol :p:pac:

Ha ha yeah that burger van was driving us mad. Please come & say hello!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Wow, its late this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ah gutted we will miss it!!! We are getting married that weekend. Wonder why it is so late this year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Ah gutted we will miss it!!! We are getting married that weekend.

What sort of excuse is that?

:-p

Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Worst excuse ever. Very selfish of us not to postpone :D

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Come visit me and the terrible 3 too, I'm going up promoting non pedigree show cats :D

Would anyone be interested in doing a forum meet-up? I'm going to be there both days anyway :D

Come visit me and the terrible 3 too, I'm going up promoting non pedigree show cats :D

Would anyone be interested in doing a forum meet-up? I'm going to be there both days anyway :D

well I'll be there with 2 dogs so we won't be allowed near cat land! :P

Aw yeah it's a pity (but a good thing!) dogs won't be allowed up, Dude would love to make some new canine pals :P He befriended a wandering pointer that came into our garden yesterday, loves to go visit my neighbors husky (he always comes back covered in husky drool!) and has 3 retriever and retriever cross friends! He would just adore Bailey and Lucy :P

• Advertisement

I would because I will be there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

A group of the different rodent sanctuaries are planning a stand for education re: rats and rodents as pets. Can't wait to see it!!! Sadly everything else seems to be cat/ dog based, at least last time I went it was. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Really looking forward to this :) I feel optimistic about it this year, the last couple of years weren't great but here's hoping they've learned from their mistakes. Sure if nothing else, I get my fix of other peoples pets- well worth the money in :D

A group of the different rodent sanctuaries are planning a stand for education re: rats and rodents as pets. Can't wait to see it!!! Sadly everything else seems to be cat/ dog based, at least last time I went it was. :(

When it was in Naas there were lots of other animals there other then dogs, unfortunately there were very few cats.

I think it was at last years show, there was a corner for rabbits/rodents. I remember a particularly friendly rabbit climbing up me for a cuddle :D I'm hoping there will be some nice freebies there this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Is the pet expo good for reptiles? Looking into getting a bearded dragon so want to talk to some experts!

The last few years the people from the reptile zoo have been there with a menagerie of reptiles and insects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Should be there with the greys and am really glad its back in the RDS the other place wasn't great.

The reason its so late is they weren't going to hold one at all this year and just do one in the UK but a few people complained and now its back on.

Inexile wrote: »
    Should be there with the greys and am really glad its back in the RDS the other place wasn't great.

The reason its so late is they weren't going to hold one at all this year and just do one in the UK but a few people complained and now its back on.

I loved all the space at Naas though. Was handy for giving the dogs a break from the strand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

never been to any
    would it be dog groomers attending?

groupon running an offer for tickets
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/pet-expo-rds/27811634

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I loved all the space at Naas though. Was handy for giving the dogs a break from the strand!

That's about all it was good for. There were about two cat stands there last year, 4 of us went & paid about e40 entrance fees in between us, fir what was a dreadfully badly organised and barren event that comprised mostly of big standard goods being flogged that you could have gone to any pet shop , not paid in for, and bought without a long commute.

The breed village was so squashed & overpacked that it wasn't possible for more than 1 adult or small child to actually see the dogs at any time & as it was on the passageway leading from the Q to pay & enter into the rest of the event , this lead to long Q's, massive congestion & general chaos.

The place was stone cold freezing & no timetables for the exhibition events so most were missed . I remember the horrific miked kiddie " talent shows" blaring over the event& the oirish kiddie dancing competition/event& the teenage pop " shows" -again all broadcast at top volume throughout the day as " background" entertainment.

We all hated the day & swore we'd never go again. Not recommended at all. Expensive, badly run, & filled with " performing teenage & child stars' shrieking over everything as " free" entertainment ( e40 for 4 in) , with very little to justify the long drive, petrol costs & entrance fee & standing while eating overpriced fast food .

That's about all it was good for. There were about two cat stands there last year, 4 of us went & paid about e40 entrance fees in between us, fir what was a dreadfully badly organised and barren event that comprised mostly of big standard goods being flogged that you could have gone to any pet shop , not paid in for, and bought without a long commute.

The breed village was so squashed & overpacked that it wasn't possible for more than 1 adult or small child to actually see the dogs at any time & as it was on the passageway leading from the Q to pay & enter into the rest of the event , this lead to long Q's, massive congestion & general chaos.

The place was stone cold freezing & no timetables for the exhibition events so most were missed . I remember the horrific miked kiddie " talent shows" blaring over the event& the oirish kiddie dancing competition/event& the teenage pop " shows" -again all broadcast at top volume throughout the day as " background" entertainment.

We all hated the day & swore we'd never go again. Not recommended at all. Expensive, badly run, & filled with " performing teenage & child stars' shrieking over everything as " free" entertainment ( e40 for 4 in) , with very little to justify the long drive, petrol costs & entrance fee & standing while eating overpriced fast food .

Well thanks for your opinion but I'm only actually responsible for the stand I'm on! I certainly did not find it squashed and none of us were cold either!

What exactly did you think would be for sale at a pet show? As for the overpriced food - ditto?

I don't think people realise the huge effort and amount of time breed people put into this event. I give up my whole weekend! As well as the preparation of dogs that started yesterday!

So I would suggest you take up your issues with the organisers. I also know plenty of people who loved it but you can't please everyone!

Well thanks for your opinion but I'm only actually responsible for the stand I'm on! I certainly did not find it squashed and none of us were cold either!

What exactly did you think would be for sale at a pet show? As for the overpriced food - ditto?

I don't think people realise the huge effort and amount of time breed people put into this event. I give up my whole weekend! As well as the preparation of dogs that started yesterday!

So I would suggest you take up your issues with the organisers. I also know plenty of people who loved it but you can't please everyone!

Previous years have had toys, accessories etc at discounted prices. Also there were more exhibits. Last year the usually crappy hat stalls(why lol?), some dog food stands, same old agility displays and the breed village. The breed village is great and all but not everyone is interested in it? It's just one part of pet expo.

I know people with stands at it last year who agreed it was rubbish. I was there for an hour max and drove home - there was nothing to see! I know somebody who had a 'stand' the year before that cost him €750 for a small table which is probably why it was so sparse last year and why they were reluctant to have one this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I remember the horrific miked kiddie " talent shows" blaring over the event& the oirish kiddie dancing competition/event& the teenage pop " shows" -again all broadcast at top volume throughout the day as " background" entertainment.

Oh God I'd blocked the memory of that out. I felt so sorry for the guys with the snake that was right beside that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

So would this be worth the trek from Galway with a pooch who isn't the biggest fan of travelling in the car? I always wanted to go before to have a look around but wasn't sure what you actually do there. As an example, I'm looking to get him a new harness as he wears his all day now in day care so have been looking at Perfect Fit, would they be there and would they be discounted?

Cocolola wrote: »
    So would this be worth the trek from Galway with a pooch who isn't the biggest fan of travelling in the car? I always wanted to go before to have a look around but wasn't sure what you actually do there. As an example, I'm looking to get him a new harness as he wears his all day now in day care so have been looking at Perfect Fit, would they be there and would they be discounted?

Maybe hold off until the Sunday and wait for from people who are going on the Saturday to post their reviews. Personally I wouldn't come all the way over from Galway from it!

I don't think you'll get the harness there anyways - mail them to be sure but I've never seen them over? I have pefect fits for both my dogs and got then online. The one for my puppy was their suggested size but too small - they sent the next size up free of charge for me to mix and match and send the bits that didn't fit back. (Use parcel motel for shipping if there's one near you)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Cheers for that tk, that's even better!

Sorry to drag this up again :P Just wondering what kind of things do people expect from the stalls? I've put together an information sheet on showing household pet cats.. but is this enough!? I dunno what to do :P At the moment I'm shopping for decorations for my cat's pens.. I'm thinking a Christmas theme would be fun :D

Sorry to drag this up again :P Just wondering what kind of things do people expect from the stalls? I've put together an information sheet on showing household pet cats.. but is this enough!? I dunno what to do :P At the moment I'm shopping for decorations for my cat's pens.. I'm thinking a Christmas theme would be fun :D

Find out what size stall you have and then you will have some idea of how much you need. We have lots of pics of the dogs in action, conformation/breed standard, grooming information, feeding, exercise etc. We will have a grooming table with one of my dogs who is very happy to pose all weekend! We have our Club Name, logo. We will have a crate for dogs to rest in. A puppy pen. Books, some decorations, leaflets for people to take away. Mostly people just want to interact with the dogs I find.

Bring a chair for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Would this be worth attending with my four year old? He's mad into dogs and all types of animals. I'd be travelling up from Cavan though so a good two hour journey up.

Advertisement