Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Bus/Truck driving work with a road traffic conviction

• 10-10-2013 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

its a careless driving conviction dating back over 7 years,will this still have an impact on future employment???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Depends what a potential employer makes of the circumstances involved. In my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Depends what a potential employer makes of the circumstances involved. In my opinion.

its was a material damage only r.t.a i thought after 5 years it wouldnt effect you as regards jobs etc,say for example bus eireann would they disqualify on the basis of a historical conviction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    its was a material damage only r.t.a i thought after 5 years it wouldnt effect you as regards jobs etc,say for example bus eireann would they disqualify on the basis of a historical conviction

Ireland does not yet have Spent Convictions legislation yet. It might be something on which you may be interested on keeping an eye, in future.

Therefore, it's not really a legal question at the moment. It's more of a practical question concerning Bus Eireann hiring policy.

I don't know what Bus Eireann hiring policy is. If I had to guess, I would say that a careless driving conviction from seven years ago might not disqualify somebody from a driving job, as such. However, common sense would dictate that a conviction might put somebody at a competitive disadvantage in comparison to other candidates with clean licences.

Ireland does not yet have Spent Convictions legislation yet. It might be something on which you may be interested on keeping an eye, in future.

Therefore, it's not really a legal question at the moment. It's more of a practical question concerning Bus Eireann hiring policy.

I don't know what Bus Eireann hiring policy is. If I had to guess, I would say that a careless driving conviction from seven years ago might not disqualify somebody from a driving job, as such. However, common sense would dictate that a conviction might put somebody at a competitive disadvantage in comparison to other candidates with clean licences.

i've keep keeping an eye on that bill for a while now,and still nothing,but i think if its a state job being applied for it would be disclosed regardless,clean licence???i would consider myself to have one,have no points,endorsements,pending prosecutions etc,just hope that conviction doesnt ruin my career prospects,in this country a conviction of any sort is a life sentence even if you never do a single day in prison,the laws in this country are light years behind others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    its a careless driving conviction dating back over 7 years,will this still have an impact on future employment???

Can't see the problem I would say that it wouldn't even register with the insurance company because of the time lapse and the nature of the offence.

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Can't see the problem I would say that it wouldn't even register with the insurance company because of the time lapse and the nature of the offence.

glad to hear that just hope it works out that way,every one makes mistakes,just hope it wont cost me a career as a bus/truck driver,thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

An additional factor may be age at time of offence. A careless driving conviction at age 18 may be treated less seriously than one at age 40.

However, as mentioned, any conviction will put someone at a competitive disadvantage.

Victor wrote: »
    An additional factor may be age at time of offence. A careless driving conviction at age 18 may be treated less seriously than one at age 40.

However, as mentioned, any conviction will put someone at a competitive disadvantage.
    i was 21 when the offence occured but due to court delays etc i was 22 when actually convicted i'm 29 now

Advertisement