Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain my options like I'm 5

• 10-10-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I've currently got my pc in the sitting room, hooked up to the tv.

I use it
    A) as a pc, to do normal computer stuff, gaming, bit of Photoshop, bit of visual effects editing,
    B) for entertainment, to watch stuff online, streams, YouTube and Netflix and music, Soundcloud, and the likes.

I've decided to move my pc to another room, with a proper desk to sit at, trying to do precision work with keyboard on my lap, and mouse beside on the sofa isn't cutting it.

I need something to replace the entertainment side of things the the sittingroom. It will be hooked up to a Pioneer surround sound system, via hdmi.

A small footprint would be sound, as I'm currently losing a lot to the pc, and would like to claim it back.

I have a RPi lying around, it was grand for watching stuff I had downloaded, but streams are better, and I couldn't figure it out.

What are my options?

Pricewise, <€200.

I'm open to building, or a straight forward prebuilt unit.

Please help me, I'm stuck!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any spare old PC lying about? Built an XMBC box from an old PC myself a few weeks ago, working great. Using it as a NAS as well. Just took one of the bigger hard disks out of my main PC to donor it to the new box. To save energy I let it sleep and can wake it up from any other PC in the house, or from any mobile phone. Cost: €0 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

unkel wrote: »
    Any spare old PC lying about? Built an XMBC box from an old PC myself a few weeks ago, working great. Using it as a NAS as well. Just took one of the bigger hard disks out of my main PC to donor it to the new box. To save energy I let it sleep and can wake it up from any other PC in the house, or from any mobile phone. Cost: €0 :)

Do you connect it to the TV via HDMI?

If you don't mind me asking what kind of chip/motherboard/operating system you running?

Also do you use a battery remote or the phone as a remote?

Trying to do something along the same lines, am creating some sort of frankenstein PC, but struggling to find drivers for XP, tempted just to buy a damn 1155 motherboard and chip just so I could put Windows 7 on it

Advertisement