Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband miltown malbay

• 10-10-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Anyone suggest what the best broadband provider is out in miltown malbay? Moving out that direction this week and just looking for good broadband! Currently I have eircom and wouldn't be delighted with their service,I find the broadband very slow sometimes
    Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where are you moving from? Eircom broadband is distance sensitive so its hard to say whether it'd be good or bad. I wouldn't rule it out based on your experience at another location.
    There are fixed wireless operators in Clare, but really I'd be checking out the landline broadband first.
    If you call eircom they'd have an idea of what speed the line in the new house is rated at.
    Checking what service your neighbours are using is a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Depends where you are - where I am the only BB I've been able to get is Vodafone Mobile & it's crap because of the signal (supposed to be 7.2 Mbs, lucky if I get 1Mps)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Hi,

Bringing up an old thread...did you manage to get good broadband?

This uswitch link suggests you can get up to 70mb, but I imagine it's not exactly accurate.
    http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/local/clare/broadband-in-milltown-malbay/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You cannot get VDSL in Miltown yet, so that means no 70Mb. Miltown is on the Eircom rollout list and is said to be upgraded with FTTC by July 2016. Although there is no guarantee that this will happen, but at the moment there are no plans to roll out VDSL in Miltown.

Ripplecom have two masts around that area so you may be able to get them, but they offer up to 8Mb download, whereas you could get up to 24Mb on an ADSL2+ line. Best phone around, but if you want a fast upload greater than 1Mbps, you may run into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Miltown is on the Eircom rollout list and is said to be upgraded with FTTC by July 2016.

Would you by chance have a link you could post to this list?

Thanks ;)

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »

Thanks for the links ....... but don't appear to be what I was hoping for.

Is there a list of exchanges and the dates Eircom hope to have fibre connected to cabinets?

..... or is it a matter of picking an exchange from the list you linked to, and if Eircom have not said it will be done prior to 2016 then we can assume it will be done then?

Do Eircom release progress reports?
    I haven't seen any numbers about how many can avail of a fibre connection at say Jan 2014.
    I am just wondering how they are progressing towards their 1.4 million target.

Thanks for the links ....... but don't appear to be what I was hoping for.

Is there a list of exchanges and the dates Eircom hope to have fibre connected to cabinets?

..... or is it a matter of picking an exchange from the list you linked to, and if Eircom have not said it will be done prior to 2016 then we can assume it will be done then?

Do Eircom release progress reports?
    I haven't seen any numbers about how many can avail of a fibre connection at say Jan 2014.
    I am just wondering how they are progressing towards their 1.4 million target.

As far as I see, Eircom have only planned dates for roll out for this year.

That list is what they said they plan to do. Realistically, I'm doubtful all those towns will be covered by July 2016.

You may find some statistics on their press room website.

Beyond that, I would imagine populated areas get done first. The likes of Miltown and Ennistymon may be done next year, but Eircom have no announcement made so there is no definite answer. This is just an educated guess. The likes of Ennis got done quickly because of it's size and demand. It is demand and supply figures that Eircom will be looking at.

Don't forget that the Government have guaranteed 30Mbps to everyone in Ireland regardless of their location by 2015. How, I do not know but it's good to see that broadband penetration rates have improved in Ireland over the last few years.

http://www.techcentral.ie/rabbitte-pledges-30mbs-minimum-broadband-speeds-across-ireland/

A lot can change in 9 months, but I cannot find a date for when in 2015.

As far as I see, Eircom have only planned dates for roll out for this year.

That list is what they said they plan to do. Realistically, I'm doubtful all those towns will be covered by July 2016.

You may find some statistics on their press room website.

Beyond that, I would imagine populated areas get done first. The likes of Miltown and Ennistymon may be done next year, but Eircom have no announcement made so there is no definite answer. This is just an educated guess. The likes of Ennis got done quickly because of it's size and demand. It is demand and supply figures that Eircom will be looking at.

Don't forget that the Government have guaranteed 30Mbps to everyone in Ireland regardless of their location by 2015. How, I do not know but it's good to see that broadband penetration rates have improved in Ireland over the last few years.

http://www.techcentral.ie/rabbitte-pledges-30mbs-minimum-broadband-speeds-across-ireland/

A lot can change in 9 months, but I cannot find a date for when in 2015.

Thanks Mr.G ...... I could not find anything definitive from Eircom either. I misunderstood your reference to a list above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just to add some points..

1) There is no short term plan for Miltown, although it is still planned (July 2016 is a provisional date to have the entire rollout complete, and is unlikely to be met). Every few months, you'll see the short term rollout plans appear on the eircom eFibre map. So Miltown is in the long term plan, just not scheduled exactly, just yet.

2) The government's plan for 30Mbs has been quietly dropped (i.e. the specific speed, rather than a generic term of high speed / quality). There's been a few questions in the Dáil about that over the last couple of years. Whether that's to co-incide with the slow roll out of LTE (presumed to be the government's flawed solution to mass "broadband" rollout, or somone's had a word in Rabitte's ear about it being nigh on impossible to implement/guarantee, who know!

3) Do eircom release progress reports (on eFibre roll out)? No. But you can get a good indication from the above map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

It sounds to me that 4G could be the most likely long term solution in West Clare.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Just to add some points..

1) There is no short term plan for Miltown, although it is still planned (July 2016 is a provisional date to have the entire rollout complete, and is unlikely to be met). Every few months, you'll see the short term rollout plans appear on the eircom eFibre map. So Miltown is in the long term plan, just not scheduled exactly, just yet.

2) government's plan for 30Mbs has been quietly dropped (i.e. the specific speed, rather than a generic term of high speed / quality). There's been a few questions in the Dáil about that over the last couple of years. Whether that's to co-incide with the slow roll out of LTE (presumed to be the government's flawed solution to mass "broadband" rollout, or somone's had a word in Rabitte's ear about it being nigh on impossible to implement/guarantee, who know!

3) Do eircom release progress reports (on eFibre roll out)? No. But you can get a good indication from the above map.

Can you post a link confirming this?

Thanks

SeanF wrote: »
    It sounds to me that 4G could be the most likely long term solution in West Clare.

It's as unsuitable for a mass rollout of broadband as 3G is, so it's not a solution, I'm afraid.

Can you post a link confirming this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86866112

Advertisement