Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar colours

• 10-10-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Very, very important question :P Is purple a boys or a girls colour? I put a purple collar on one of my boy dogs and had people very upset, saying it's a girl's colour, and a friend got a purple collar yesterday for her male dog, her teenage son was aghast. :eek:

I thought purple was the colour of kings, so is it a boys or a girls colour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

muddypaws wrote: »
    Very, very important question :P Is purple a boys or a girls colour? I put a purple collar on one of my boy dogs and had people very upset, saying it's a girl's colour, and a friend got a purple collar yesterday for her male dog, her teenage son was aghast. :eek:

I thought purple was the colour of kings, so is it a boys or a girls colour?
    The pick of my litter that I'm keeping was purple collar boy so no wouldn't have said its just for girls. I think any colour apart from maybe yellow or pink could be for a boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have purple collars for both of mine, a girl and a boy, so no, it's not just a girls colour.
    That said I have a pink harness that I regularly put on boy dogs. Or to be specific "raspberry":P. I like the colour and the dogs don't mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Why is yellow not for boys Andrea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I dunno, i would just see yellow and pink as girly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a purple collar on one of my male dogs, never occurred to me it would be either a girly or boy colour!

I put a pink sparkly collar on my other male as a joke for the girl who handles him in agility and was astonished at the number of people giving out for putting a pink collar on a boy!!! He doesn't know the difference but it really upset some of the people, and he's not even their dog. His handler thought he looked FABULOUS DAHLING :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When I'm heading out I grab whatever collars I can find! The males have been known to be seen in public in pink collars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Purple is not girly, to me it's both, depends on the dog, if he's macho he can pull it off! :P

My boy doesn't care, I asked if he had a favourite colour, he just wagged his tail.
    However bling makes him nervous, as we found out in a pet shop one day, he backed away looking like the collar was evil. (The girl loves everything)

I do find certain colour combos don't go, my girl is cream, we got her an orange and yellow pretty collar and it didn't suit her.

mymo wrote: »
    Purple is not girly, to me it's both, depends on the dog, if he's macho he can pull it off! :P

My boy doesn't care, I asked if he had a favourite colour, he just wagged his tail.
    However bling makes him nervous, as we found out in a pet shop one day, he backed away looking like the collar was evil. (The girl loves everything)

I do find certain colour combos don't go, my girl is cream, we got her an orange and yellow pretty collar and it didn't suit her.

I saw that MaxiZoo have charm collars, they do look cool, a collar with little loops and then you can attach the various charms to it, but not sure how practical they actually are. They are reduced, so I'm guessing most people probably agreed with the impracticality of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was having that dilemma yesterday. I couldn't decide between Purple, dark blue or black for Felix. It was easy to pick a dusky pink one for Poppy. I think the most important thing though was the reflective strip and getting a 'don't feed me' tag for him. I ended up not getting the collars in the end as Amazon was quoting me over 400 euro delivery for 2 collars for some reason.

If anyone is looking for a good reflective cat collar Red Dingo have some lovely ones in 8 different colours, including purple:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My lady has a lovely pink collar (and a pink lead). People still say "he's a lovely dog":(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My girl dog wears a lot of purple :rolleyes:

Pink is just too girly for either of us!! She has this awesome harness and lead set in purple (2 shades) cammo :D Feminine but kick ass too! :D And in fairness, everything in my life is purple :rolleyes: my bedroom, my phone cover, my current hoodie I'm wearing - its everywhere the more I look! :rolleyes:

So, to your question - I don't directly see it as a boy or girl colour. Personally if you like it your dog probably doesn't care! When they see a lead it means walkies, not "oooh, look at my STYLE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

My cat is female and wears a blue collar.
    I like blue.

My dog is male and he also has a blue collar. I often get random people saying "oh, she's a lovely dog, if she's a she?" >.<' ..

Meh, your pet don't care, and if you like something, that reason enough to choose it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    The pick of my litter that I'm keeping was purple collar boy so no wouldn't have said its just for girls. I think any colour apart from maybe yellow or pink could be for a boy.

I KNEW you were going to keep him lol - he got the most photos! :D

I had a purple harness for my boy and was the same tbh wasn't sure if it was a boy or girl colour but decided it was neutral. That said I still had people thinking he was a girl... but even in blue people ask is he my pups mum lol!
    Little boy in the park yesterday.."But if Bailey is a BOY...how did he have a baby?!" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I know a lovely big black greyhound that wears a purple and gold collar. Very regal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Off topic: Andreac you have puppies?! Where are the pictures!? :P

On topic: We have people thinking our dog is a boy because of a red collar/harness, I always thought red was neutral colour, we just picked them because she's black and it looks well with her colour, I guess no matter what people are going to have opinions on colour genders!!

I always think that red collars look good on black dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I was literally just told this morning, that Eddies baby blue collar/bell...is...not "masculine enough" by a guy, who was deadly serious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I love the colour red on dogs, and always have red collars for my little prince. I get Red Dingo and he has a few with different designs.

He's a Shih Tzu (originated in China/Tibet) and red is considered lucky by the Chinese! Goes lovely with his blue colouring too...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Light blue or deep red on my boy!

Actually, anyone know some good sites that make high quality custom leads and collars?

Actually, anyone know some good sites that make high quality custom leads and collars?

Depends what you like, but I have collars and leads from Sarah who owns Willows Leads https://www.facebook.com/groups/156522404374636/?fref=ts

I also have collars, harnesses and leads from Sharon at Trailbaby https://www.facebook.com/trailbabysleddog.k9gear?fref=ts

There was someone in Donegal that used to do collars, but I don't think he's there anymore, and I don't know anybody in Ireland that does them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I know someone. Look up Swaggles on FB. It is an Irish company & they will be at The Pets Expo. Sorry can't link as am using my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Thanks for that folks. On my phone myself so can't look at links properly, ill have a gander later.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

look up marwalsh on face book top notch leather stuff and will make to order , they are a dublin company based on the navan road

Advertisement