Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

otnomart wrote: »
    It was big enough, with ice rink and ferris wheel.
    They did have some stalls with a "craft label", but the majority were selling Made in China rubbish, so it was quite disappointing compared to the markets in Germany, I am afraid.

Went there last December and thought the same. Not in the same league as Munich or Cologne to mention just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

ollaetta wrote: »
    Went there last December and thought the same. Not in the same league as Munich or Cologne to mention just two.
    Yes, the thing is that Christmas markers in Belgium are a "recent" tradition (not older than 30 years at the most) same as in other European Countries, at this stage there is a Christmas market pretty much in every pretty square in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

otnomart wrote: »
    Yes, the thing is that Christmas markers in Belgium are a "recent" tradition (not older than 30 years at the most) same as in other European Countries, at this stage there is a Christmas market pretty much in every pretty square in Europe.
    Indeed, and the likes of Prague is only 10 years in existance.

..... And then compare to the original: (from Wikipedia)
    Dresden's Strietzelmarkt was first held in 1434. The Christmas markets of Bautzen (first held in 1384),[2] Frankfurt (first mentioned in 1393) and Munich (1310) Augsburg (1498) were even older. The Vienna "December market" was a kind of forerunner of the Christmas market and dates back to 1294.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Hi

Thinking of visiting a European city for Christmas markets. We have visited the markets in Edinburgh and bath. Both were lovely. We have been to many eu cities Paris,Rome, Kraków, Amsterdam, Prague, Amsterdam and Seville. We love exploring cities the historic sites and spdo walking tours. We would like to get into Christmas spirit this year. We have never been to Germany so it could be a good choice mum would like to visit Berlin to see walls not sure if this would be better in late spring early autumn when you have more daylight.

Any suggestions on Christmas markets are welcome.

Will be flying from Dublin for three nights first or second weekend of December.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

marieky21 wrote: »
    Hi

Thinking of visiting a European city for Christmas markets. We have visited the markets in Edinburgh and bath. Both were lovely. We have been to many eu cities Paris,Rome, Kraków, Amsterdam, Prague, Amsterdam and Seville. We love exploring cities the historic sites and spdo walking tours. We would like to get into Christmas spirit this year. We have never been to Germany so it could be a good choice mum would like to visit Berlin to see walls not sure if this would be better in late spring early autumn when you have more daylight.

Will be flying from Dublin for three nights first or second weekend of December.

Thank you

Went to Berlin a couple of years back in early December, great time to go. There are a few Christmas markets, best to google locations and times. They were lovely, really nice atmosphere, no pressure to buy or anything. We stayed in the Adina apartments near checkpoint Charlie which were great, good spacious accommodation and close to transport, the wall (what's left of it) and nice restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Hi

Thank you

Never been to Berlin for Christmas Markets specifically, but if exploring the city and its fascinating history is high on your list I suggest you visit during another time of year.

There are so many famous and popular Christmas Markets in Germany to consider if that is your primary goal. Cologne (via Cologne or Dusseldorf Airport) and Nuremberg (with Munich or via Frankfurt airport) are among the best. Been to both and prefer Cologne plus Bonn as a day trip.

If cost is a big factor, use Skyscanner to compare flight costs and pick based on the airport and preferred flights times. Trains in Germany are excellent and Google Maps can show you how to get from market to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hi

Thank you

Any memories of Krakow? We're heading there for a few days in early December so would be interested in how you got on...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any memories of Krakow? We're heading there for a few days in early December so would be interested in how you got on...

Kraków is possibly my favourite loads to see and do Jewish quarter castle salt mines. It is a vet pretty ccity easy to walk around. Just picturesque to wander and soak up the atmosphere. We visited in May weather was lovely

Just booked flights to Berlin now hotel hunt continues thank you for all suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There seems to be a glut of ads. For tours to Leipzig Christmas Market appearing on Facebook lately. Has anyone here been to Leipzig, and what did you think/enjoy about it?

• Advertisement

Just booked flights to Berlin now hotel hunt continues thank you for all suggestions
    Eventually book hotel adelante due to the high ranking on TripAdvisor and good reviewstuff and price. Roll on december

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Eventually book hotel adelante due to the high ranking on TripAdvisor and good reviewstuff and price. Roll on december

Just saw this, you've already booked...
    I booked NH Hotel, Freiderickstrasse- http://www.nh-hotels.com/hotel/nh-collection-berlin-mitte-friedrichstrasse

Family room for €300 total for 2 nights. walking distance to the main market and close to Brandenberg Gate, Unter Den Linden etc.

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Planning to take the wife to berlin next December fir her 30th a d looking for info on best areas to stay that's close to Christmas markets and h as a bit of life around it. Not mad clubbers but somewhere with a few nice bars and restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Berlin is a sprawling city so you will likely have to travel

Alexanderplatz in the middle of the city had the biggest Christmas market in berlin when I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Was there at markets a few years ago. We stayed in Potsdamer Platz. There was a train right next to hotel - almost under it, which was great for traveling around. There wasn't much around the hotel, but a little market a few mins walk away.

Enjoy, Berlin is a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There seems to be a glut of ads. For tours to Leipzig Christmas Market appearing on Facebook lately. Has anyone here been to Leipzig, and what did you think/enjoy about it?

We went there on a day trip from Dresden last year.

In a nutshell it was lovely.

We were a bit lazy and didn't get up as early as we'd hoped so it was well into morning/early afternoon when we got there. We were literally backing out of it to make a decent time train that evening and swearing we needed to get back there again sometime.

Been to markets in lots of German cities and up to last year our absolute favourite was Munich to which we'd return again and again (like every 2nd year). Dresden & Leipzig was the first other trip where we felt we'd like to return.
    My only negative is that it's a little bit more difficult to get at. We had friends with us from UK and it was first time ever they couldn't get a direct flight - went back via Dusseldorf. We flew via Prague.

(That is a small negative, the transport system in Germany is fabulous)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

You can travel by train from Berlin-Tegel Airport to Leipzig in 1.75 hours. Dresden is about 2.5 hours.

You can also fly with Lufthansa to Leipzig or Dresden via Frankfurt.

VG31 wrote: »
    You can travel by train from Berlin-Tegel Airport to Leipzig in 1.75 hours. Dresden is about 2.5 hours.

You can also fly with Lufthansa to Leipzig or Dresden via Frankfurt.
    with lufthansa you can also fly to Frankfurt (or indeed Munich where Lufthansa now fly to daily) and for €35 each way add on a rail and fly ticket which is a fully flexible train ticket valid on the day of air travel and a day before or after, depending on which way you are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We were at the Brussels market last Thursday and Friday. It was enjoyable. Ice skating and a huge Ferris wheel that the kids enjoyed. We had cheap Ryanair flights got from Dublin.€40 each return. A nice central 2 bed apartment from Airbnb was €130 per night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Hope all here are okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yeah big time; shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I hope this tragic event doesn't put people off visiting the wonderful city that is Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

I was in krakow and it was delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Back from Vienna yesterday ourselves. What an effort they make over there with the decorations! Really impressive and very very cold. Was in Berlin this time last year for the markets so shocked to see what happened yesterday.:eek:

Very sad what happened in Berlin, but I've no intention of letting one single deranged muppet (or a small cohort of them) change my way of life and I'll be at a christmas market for a final Glühwine on Friday.

It'll be a great day for terrorists if 1 idiot makes 90 million people bend the knee and decide not to carry on this century old tradition (first record of christmas market in Munich dates to 1310 !) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Been to the Dusseldorf Christmas Markets 4 times now also went to Cologne at the Dom.

Both are good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

At this point in time I'd say I'm not put off going to a continental Christmas market next year. Prague was fantastic last year and I'd love to sort another trip to central Europe for Xmas 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 babymomma22

Hi I am wondering if anyone knows of any tour groups in Ireland that organize trips to Milan?
    I am looking for a tour group that organizes a trip to Milan to the Christmas Market. I hope someone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Don't know of any tour, but you could easily organise flights and hotel independently. Dates are 5 to 8 December http://vivimilano.corriere.it/eventi-festemercati/fiera-di-santambrogio-oh-bej-oh-bej/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 babymomma22

Thank you otnomart, I was hoping to find a tour group because I didn't want to travel alone but sure I will see what happens. Thanks a million for the link.

Advertisement