Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi BM,

It might be worth contacting the Travel Department to see if they have any plans to run a tour group to the Milan markets. I know they have one tour this Xmas that takes in Lake Garda and the Venice Xmas markets.

https://www.traveldepartment.ie/holiday-types/festive-escapes/

I am not associated with Travel Department, just a happy customer from a previous tour that we took with them,

Hope you find what you're looking for.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

As per the title, I'm looking for suggestions for a trip to a Christmas market in Europe. Ideally somewhere with a decent market and good atmosphere. We visited Manchester last year and had a ball and now want to broaden the horizon a bit.

Any suggestions welcome 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most German cities.

It's big there. Went to Frankfurt a couple years ago and loved it. Friends have been to Berlin and Munich and spoke highly of them.

Not sure if attacks around them has caused the atmosphere to be significantly impacted in recent years.

Most German cities.

It's big there. Went to Frankfurt a couple years ago and loved it. Friends have been to Berlin and Munich and spoke highly of them.

Not sure if attacks around them has caused the atmosphere to be significantly impacted in recent years.

Thanks. Yes the attack thing is on my mind especially as I'd have my 8 yr old daughter with me. But then again are you truly safe anywhere even at home?

I will look up Berlin and Munich later today, they're great cities when there's no Christmas markets on so I can only imagine what they're like when it is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks. Yes the attack thing is on my mind especially as I'd have my 8 yr old daughter with me. But then again are you truly safe anywhere even at home?

No. There's no guarantee of safety. Go and give your daughter (and yourself) a fun experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Berlin would be my suggestion we went there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed our trip.If you stay in the Alexanderplatz/Mitte area there are four markets and a funfair within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

We did Prague last year and it was really nice, easy to get around and not massively crowded. The city centre is just big enough for walking around and the markets are all beside each other.

We flew to Tallinn a few years ago, spent a day and night there and then got ferry to Helsinki. Again, nice sized markets without being packed with people. Because the days are dark/dusky, the lights and everything give the place a lovely atmosphere. I found the gifts etc to be much better quality on this trip than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

We went to Budapest last Xmas. Beautiful city. Several markets in around the city centre. Not expensive either and loads to see during the day. Look up http://www.szechenyibath.hu/. Also situated nearby is an outdoor ice rink. Enjoy wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

As per the title, I'm looking for suggestions for a trip to a Christmas market in Europe. Ideally somewhere with a decent market and good atmosphere. We visited Manchester last year and had a ball and now want to broaden the horizon a bit.

Any suggestions welcome ��

Highly recommend Vienna or Salzburg, or both even! Good, cheap train service between them, and even from Salzburg, head onto Munich via the Bayer train, and spend a day there and fly home from there. We flew into Budapest last year, spent a day and a night, train to Vienna for a few days, train to Salzburg for a coupe of days, and then finally train to Munich and home from there. Cheap trains, easy to navigate and great, great fun.

Thank you all for the input. What are the chances of a bit of snow in any of these markets? That would really make the holiday for my daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We had the kids in Brussels last year. Flights were cheap, and a nice apartment also. No snow there. Massive Ferris wheel overlooks the main market. The ice skating ring was good also. We all enjoyed it for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Went to Munich in 2013 for the Christmas markets, it was brilliant. They have 12 markets if memory serves me correctly, all located nearby and different themes. Plenty of layers and comfortable shoes required!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'd second Budapest - went last year and while no snow, was a fab atmosphere around. Also done the Edinburgh one and it was fab - apparently the oldest Christmas market outside mainland Europe. Really great atmosphere and lovely city. Snowed while we were there a little & they also had fake snow floating around the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Budapest. Loved everything about it. We went two years ago and it was extrememly mild. The winter just gone was much colder & the Danube froze but not sure if it snowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

yorlum11 wrote: »
    We went to Budapest last Xmas. Beautiful city. Several markets in around the city centre. Not expensive either and loads to see during the day. Look up http://www.szechenyibath.hu/. Also situated nearby is an outdoor ice rink. Enjoy wherever you go.

We went about 10 years ago, and visited those baths.
    Magical experience sitting in the baths up to your neck in lovely warm water, while the air temp was probably -10 Celsius .

It was lightly snowing at one point, so while you were toasty warm, you were getting a cap of snow on your hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We went about 10 years ago, and visited those baths.
    Magical experience sitting in the baths up to your neck in lovely warm water, while the air temp was probably -10 Celsius .

It was lightly snowing at one point, so while you were toasty warm, you were getting a cap of snow on your hair :D

We did Budapest early December 2015 and would happily just go back there every year-the baths were amazing too. We did an brilliant wine tasting tour up by the Castle too (down in a cellar) and the markets and shopping area were stunning. A nice wine or hot chocolate in the Gerbeaud Cafe is such a treat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Really enjoyed Cologne last year. Several different markets throughout the city, all with different themes. Very festive!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Koln is very good for markets, also just a short hop to those in Dusseldorf which are similarly themed and in different locations around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

I'd second Budapest - went last year and while no snow, was a fab atmosphere around. Also done the Edinburgh one and it was fab - apparently the oldest Christmas market outside mainland Europe. Really great atmosphere and lovely city. Snowed while we were there a little & they also had fake snow floating around the market.

Hi really interested in doing the Christmas markets in Edinburgh can you tell me is it in the city centre or easy enough to find? also any recommendations for hotels??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Kajemo wrote: »
    Hi really interested in doing the Christmas markets in Edinburgh can you tell me is it in the city centre or easy enough to find? also any recommendations for hotels??

Yep it's down in Princes Street Park so right in the middle of the city. We went about 4 years ago now and it covered the whole area. There was the markets, a skating rink, amusement rides. Really well done and in the easiest to find areas. We didn't go for a hotel but found an apartment rental that was on the Royal Mile. Loads of hotels around the Princes St area of the city though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Another recommendation for the Edinburgh Christmas market. Went there a few years ago and it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

We did Prague last year and it was really nice, easy to get around and not massively crowded. The city centre is just big enough for walking around and the markets are all beside each other.

We flew to Tallinn a few years ago, spent a day and night there and then got ferry to Helsinki. Again, nice sized markets without being packed with people. Because the days are dark/dusky, the lights and everything give the place a lovely atmosphere. I found the gifts etc to be much better quality on this trip than anywhere else.

Would love to hear more about the Helsinki and Tallinn markets, if you've any tips? We're thinking of doing those this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

saggycaggy wrote: »
    We did Budapest early December 2015 and would happily just go back there every year-the baths were amazing too. We did an brilliant wine tasting tour up by the Castle too (down in a cellar) and the markets and shopping area were stunning. A nice wine or hot chocolate in the Gerbeaud Cafe is such a treat too.

Another vote for Budapest. The markets had very tasty mulled wine with an optional shot of rum. We bought some beautiful Xmas decorations from the stalls.

Loved the Szechenyi baths and had a very thorough massage there, too. Had the best Thai foot and leg massage near where we stayed that cost an amazing €15 for an hour. I'd go back for that alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Would love to bring my 7 year old daughter somewhere festive, would Edinburgh suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Went to edinburgh last year with herself, was a good market, if herself was here she would better describe it, i'm not THAT fussed by christmas(need kids i feel). Theres loads in it, it's done in stages, so like two or three layers, plenty of various stalls, a pub, funfair rides etc

We stayed in the old waverly, literally across from the market, which was great, until you realise it's like staying in o'connell street and most of the eating places and tourist stuff is uphill in temple bar, plus it's not the warmest of spots(-1 walking home from the pub at 11ish)

Any questions just ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Looking where to go this year, we where going to Birmingham, but a user linked me this thread and said could be better suited Germany, Poland, Prague or Budapest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Any suggestions for xmas markets in europe? We have gone to the one in Hyde Park London the last few years but its getting more like a fun fair than a proper market.
    Want something more traditional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I know what you mean. I went to the Birmingham one a few years ago and while it's huge (sprawling across the city centre), and while I liked it overall, I'd have preferred somewhere on the Continent. There's an annual thread in this forum "Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**" (can't link, am on mobile).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i went to the stockholm one a few years back and it was class in fairness. stockholm is a lovely city to explore for the rest of the time but its not the cheapest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Vienna is the best for me and I've been to a fair few. Magnificent!

Advertisement