Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian In Ireland !!!

Options
  • 10-10-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    im a Syrian citizen who got a job offer in Ireland and moved to Dublin about 2 years ago.

My passport is about to expire and i have already sent an application to the Syrian embassy in Paris (2 months ago) and still waiting with no luck i have called them and they ask me to call later as there is no news.

now if my passport expired what would happen to me !? i cant go back to Syria, and i cant go another country a friend advised me to apply for asylum but that will cost me my job

any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You still have a valid visa to work here tho right? It's just that your passport has expired and your state is suffering some "disruption in services"?

But the visa depends on having a valid passport? Argh that's a messy situation alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raneem

hi and thanks , exactly it is a messy situation , and i cant understand why they wouldn't allow me to work if i apply for asylum .. i dont need there support or money i can support my self ... it is a missed up place , if the passport expired i cant leave the country and i cant work in the country and i cant renew it !!

I would get down to a citizens information branch and ask them what you can do. I've found them to be excellent for small issues, so I hope they turn out to be as good for you. Absolutely horrible situation for you to be in right now. You can find a list of centres here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Also try the Migrant Rights Centre - a friend of mine had a similar-ish issue and they were a great help: http://www.mrci.ie/

Hope you get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raneem

that is great thank you for the help , will check with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ischia

Hi,

I don't know what area your in but google what td's are in your area and go along to their next meetings and have a word about the situation.

For example:

http://richardbruton.ie/contact-me/

Explain your situation in full. Write down the date your passport will expire. Inform him about how long your working contract is for.

Its worth a try.

I know where I am you can seek advice from the local solicitor (one in particular) for as little as €50 for a first meeting. Shop around. Even if you just went to the first meeting to inform yourself on where you legally stand and then never went back it would be worth it!

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

raneem wrote: »
    Hi
    im a Syrian citizen who got a job offer in Ireland and moved to Dublin about 2 years ago.

My passport is about to expire and i have already sent an application to the Syrian embassy in Paris (2 months ago) and still waiting with no luck i have called them and they ask me to call later as there is no news.

now if my passport expired what would happen to me !? i cant go back to Syria, and i cant go another country a friend advised me to apply for asylum but that will cost me my job

any suggestions

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems, it's not a pleasant situation to be in. You could contact the Refugee Legal Service - it 's part of the Legal Aid Board and is free:

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/Content/RLS_Services

Hopefully your passport will be sorted in time. Should you need to apply for asylum, the phrase that describes your situation is that of "refugee sur place" - you left your country of your own free will, but you would not be able to safely return. It's a situation which has arisen for countless people around the world.

It shouldn't necessarily come to that, though. Talk to a TD and the Migrant Rights Centre . Do you have friends in the Syrian community here? Others may very well have been through a similar situation. If you were involved with a mosque or church here perhaps someone prominent in the community could help bring some pressure to bear against the embassy.

Advertisement