Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York 7th-11th Dec

Options
  • 10-10-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all. I am planning long weekend with my wife in New York from 7th-11th Dec and was looking for tips re things to do. We are staying in the Affinia Shelburne (Murray Hill area).

Can anyone recommend any shows or sights that are a must-see? Also what’s the recommended method transit from JFK, rail, taxi, bus? I see this hotel is only a short walk from Grand Central Terminal, so if we get there, we are fine.

This is not a shopping trip as such and is the first trip for both of us to the city, and more of a sightseeing holiday and experiencing what the city has to offer. Any guidance or tips would be appreciated to make the best use of the time we have there. Help please…….. So much to see and so little time….

I know that some previous posts may have answered, but I have not seen much that have been posted recently (maybe I am not looking correctly!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm going to give these guys a try next time http://www.nycairporter.com/
    Cheaper than a cab and easier than AirTrain (JFK to Grand Central using AirTrain and subway involves 3 changes which could be tricky for first-timers with luggage)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thanksgiving is the week before so you did well to miss that. Travel is a complete mess around that time.

You're also arriving just as the christmas season really gets going so thats great. The Christmas lights should be on etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We're going in 3 weeks (myself, the missus and 2 kids) and its worthwhile having an outline itinerary before you go I think.

For our 4 day trip, we're going to spend 1 day in lower Manhattan, visiting the 9/11 memorial (book tickets in advance, only $2 each), getting the Staten Island ferry to see the SOL then walking the Brooklyn bridge. Another day will be spent in upper Manhattan, taking in the Empire State, Rockefeller Centre/TOTR, Times Square, Macy's, 5th Ave, etc. Half a day to spend time in Central Park is also penciled in. If you add in a Broadway show (we're not doing this however), ice skating and more shopping plus various dining experiences (!), then that's more than enough to fill a weekend.

The $30 subway pass is just about worthwhile for a 4 day visit, walking and subway is the way to go apparently.

Buses are really easy too. (And you get to see more than on the subway).

The street system is so organized, a perfect grid with alternate one ways streets makes it easy to figure out where you're going.

And you get a cross street transfer with every ticket so you can get anywhere.

Dunno about day pass prices though, I know you can get them.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Half a day to spend time in Central Park is also penciled in.

The metropolitan Museum is well worth a visit, and also see the Guggenheim even if you dont go in.

Both are next to the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

We are heading the same time 6-11 December. I have been before & this time we are going to see Pink in concert in the Barclays & Boxing also on in the same venue over the weekend.

Will do usual few sites & herself wants to hit the outlets, hence going the boxing as well :D

Do the usual tourist attractions around NYC & a good show to see would be Jersey Boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm going from the 3rd - 8th Dec and it will be my third time in NY in 4 years. Best bet is to get a cab from JFK to your hotel, it costs 60 bucks including tolls & tips. I have a shuttle van ordered to bring me to the airport on the 8th which is €45 for the 3 of us. A broadway show is a must, they are amazing and you can get big discounts on the day of the show at the TKTS booth in Times Square or the 2 booths in Brooklyn which are not as crowded. Spend a day downtown and a day uptown, do the top of the rock instead of the empire state building and try to eat as far away from Times Square as the food options there are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

This is all great feedback. Keep it coming. Does anyone know if Ellis Island is open or is it even worth visiting? Likewise with the Statue of Liberty. I've been looking posts in other forums on the web and some people recommend just taking the Staten Island ferry (free) and you get to see just as much. Likewise with the Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock. From what I have read so far, people prefer the TOTR. Also, anyone recommend a good show? Not really showgoers, so it will be a first time experience and am confused. Spiderman, Jersey boys, Mamma Mia(for my wife!!) others?

Thanks all.

Advertisement