Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a Chest?

• 10-10-2013 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on building a chest. As its most definitely the most under developed part of my body. I'm currently doing strong lifts 5x5 and its working in terms of building muscle...I can really see some nice shape and definition in my shoulders, Arms and Legs...And my back is pretty impressive if i may say so myself:D

But my chest is really under developed, I'm working towards 85kg bench(currently at 70kg), now I understand that genetics and bodyfat% will play a major role in chest shape and definition...

Like the chest on this guy would certainly be a fantastic start, that triangular shape at the bottom of the chest would be something that would help give definition...

I've read a couple of things online but they all seem to say the opposite thing to one another... Like doing certain chest exercises will isolate the pecs for developing shape.

I'd just like some advice for the good users of boards...Also I know this is a very vein:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Do you do dips? When I did dips in the past it always felt like my chest muscles were doing something, whereas with the bench press it was more shoulders and triceps.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on building a chest. As its most definitely the most under developed part of my body. I'm currently doing strong lifts 5x5 and its working in terms of building muscle...I can really see some nice shape and definition in my shoulders, Arms and Legs...And my back is pretty impressive if i may say so myself:D

But my chest is really under developed, I'm working towards 85kg bench(currently at 70kg), now I understand that genetics and bodyfat% will play a major role in chest shape and definition...

Like the chest on this guy would certainly be a fantastic start, that triangular shape at the bottom of the chest would be something that would help give definition...

I've read a couple of things online but they all seem to say the opposite thing to one another... Like doing certain chest exercises will isolate the pecs for developing shape.

I'd just like some advice for the good users of boards...Also I know this is a very vein:p

good to hear your routine is working for you!

everyone will have a body part that lags, or is perceived to be lagging, a mixture of genetics and training (form/exercise choice)

you could change your routine and give chest a day to itself. 5x5 is called strong lifts as it will primarily build strength, and obviously along with strength will come shape and muscle. however if you wish to focus on building muscle rather than strength you will need a higher rep range. i found the below chest day excellent, volume & variety

All 3 sets:

flat bench 6-8reps
    decline dumbell 8-10reps
    flat dumbell 8-10reps
    incline dumbell 8-10reps
    cable fly 10-12reps
    press ups to failure

thats 18sets, which is a lot but if your eating right youll gain nicely. give it try for couple months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

good to hear your routine is working for you!

everyone will have a body part that lags, or is perceived to be lagging, a mixture of genetics and training (form/exercise choice)

you could change your routine and give chest a day to itself. 5x5 is called strong lifts as it will primarily build strength, and obviously along with strength will come shape and muscle. however if you wish to focus on building muscle rather than strength you will need a higher rep range. i found the below chest day excellent, volume & variety

All 3 sets:

flat bench 6-8reps
    decline dumbell 8-10reps
    flat dumbell 8-10reps
    incline dumbell 8-10reps
    cable fly 10-12reps
    press ups to failure

thats 18sets, which is a lot but if your eating right youll gain nicely. give it try for couple months.

Cheers...How would I determine my starting weight in terms of a percentage of my 1rm?

Is there any particular press ups that target the chest best?

Cheers...How would I determine my starting weight in terms of a percentage of my 1rm?

Is there any particular press ups that target the chest best?

if you can currently lift around 70 then id start at 80%, so say 50-55. i liked this routine as first up you test your strength with bench, so u can still work towards your goal of 85kg.

the dumbells will isolate the chest more than bench, as will the cable fly which will give a nice stretch after pressing movements.

by the time you get to press ups you should be wrecked. the press ups are a fatigue exercise to get the last out of your chest. i used normal press ups. if you've worked hard on the other exercises, press ups will be a LOT tougher than normal.

if you can currently lift around 70 then id start at 80%, so say 50-55. i liked this routine as first up you test your strength with bench, so u can still work towards your goal of 85kg.

the dumbells will isolate the chest more than bench, as will the cable fly which will give a nice stretch after pressing movements.

by the time you get to press ups you should be wrecked. the press ups are a fatigue exercise to get the last out of your chest. i used normal press ups. if you've worked hard on the other exercises, press ups will be a LOT tougher than normal.

Cheers mate, I had done something similar before but on much lighter weights

What sort of weights progression should be included...

Should I do a pyramid on each exercise(e.g Set 1 20kg/Set 2 22kg/Set 3 24kg, with decreasing number of reps)

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, I had done something similar before but on much lighter weights

What sort of weights progression should be included...

Should I do a pyramid on each exercise(e.g Set 1 20kg/Set 2 22kg/Set 3 24kg, with decreasing number of reps)

no need for pyramids, keep it simple. 6-8reps means a min 6 reps per set. when you manage to complete 3 sets of 8, move up in weight the next day by whatever dumbells your gym has, usually by 2kg. and the cycle repeats till you hit 8 reps on each of the 3 sets.

no need for pyramids, keep it simple. 6-8reps means a min 6 reps per set. when you manage to complete 3 sets of 8, move up in weight the next day by whatever dumbells your gym has, usually by 2kg. and the cycle repeats till you hit 8 reps on each of the 3 sets.

Perfect that's what I thought, but clarity is always best:D

Will be giving this a lash tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

All 3 sets:

flat bench 6-8reps
    decline dumbell 8-10reps
    flat dumbell 8-10reps
    incline dumbell 8-10reps
    cable fly 10-12reps
    press ups to failure

Good luck with the DOMS after the first session of that :D

Good luck with the DOMS after the first session of that :D

Gave it ago this morning...was sweating bullets...Reckon i'll be ok tomorrow, I started light enough just to gage what weights etc, been awhile since I've done cable flys and decline bell bench...

Advertisement