Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Not for profit Cafe Dublin 2

Options
  • 10-10-2013 1:58pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i just thought i would let people know of the new cafe which opened this week in Crosscare Holles Row.

Yesterdays menu was: -
    Mushroom Soup, lasanga and salad, semolina all for €3

Today's menu was: -
    Carrot soup, chicken breast, veg and mash potatoes with trifle again, all for €3

Apparently all the food is donated by Lidl.

They will be opening for breakfast next week, a full irish will be €3 and porridge will be 50c.

I have no affiliation with them. i just work beside them.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Is that place for homeless people etc???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

adamski8 wrote: »
    Is that place for homeless people etc???

http://www.crosscare.ie/joomla/

the cafe is a protected jobs scheme, i think.

Not 100% sure, they are only open 2 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

John Mason wrote: »
    i just thought i would let people know of the new cafe which opened this week in Crosscare Holles Row.

Yesterdays menu was: -
    Mushroom Soup, lasanga and salad, semolina all for €3

Today's menu was: -
    Carrot soup, chicken breast, veg and mash potatoes with trifle again, all for €3

Apparently all the food is donated by Lidl.

They will be opening for breakfast next week, a full irish will be €3 and porridge will be 50c.

I have no affiliation with them. i just work beside them.

:)

Really aren't going to get better value than than to be honest, and it supports good work from a good organisation.
    I'll be popping in sometime for a look, make sure I wear my fat pants, sounds like I'm in for a feed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Cheers,will check it out.

Crosscare do great work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seen the promotion for this last week. Lidl are the only shop in the country at present that has signed up to a definite donation every day. No more hit and miss with their donations they say, it will be a concrete set amount every day/week. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This sounds great, wish there was something similar in my neighbourhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is this something to do with the Foodcloud thing that Guinness funded recently?

I think the aim of that was to safely get food donated by supermarkets etc. and give/sell it on to people in need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0924/world/fresh-approach-to-solve-food-poverty-244027.html
    Supermarket chain Lidl says it could provide thousands of tonnes of surplus food stocks free to struggling families if enough charity food banks were set up to handle storage and distribution.

The retailer yesterday launched an initiative that will see it make 300 tonnes of food, or some 120,000 meals, available each year to people suffering food poverty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stopped in there today at about 1.55pm and unfortunately it was closed, closing at 1.30 this week as they are still getting everything sorted but will be open until 4pm from monday onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Fair play to Lidl.Would be great if the other charities providing meals for free/heavily discounted like Bro.Kevin,Penny Dinners,Merchants Quay etc could band together to organise themselves to be in a position to take advantage of what Lidl are offering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement