Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website looking for partners/contributors

Options
  • 10-10-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

Posted this a few months ago and have now done a bit of research and sourced what I think is a good angle and also site name.

I'm thinking of setting up a new website covering mainly humorous Irish based stories and some serious articles online, the sort of things people would see browsing Twitter/Facebook/Reddit. I would like it to be a more interactive site where visitors can post their own pictures & videos etc to us which we can then put on site.

The problem is there are several sites already established in this area so it would need to be done properly with ideally a team of people to post articles regularly.

The other problem is getting people interested enough to do it!

If anyone is interested then please PM me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I know I asked this last time but it's still relevant.

What are you asking of and offering to potential partners/contributors?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevboom

Hi Graham,

To be honest I don't have a massive budget and the aim is to start small then grow it rather than throwing thousands of euro at a site which ends up a flop. I may be able to offer a payment for a set number of posts per week/day.

The posts will literally be a couple of paragraphs and I'm not necessarily looking for top class journo's, just people who can post regularly and accurately while keeping within the tone of the site.

If it starts to gain revenue then everyone involved will receive a cut of that income

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ideaburst

The 'if' factor plays a huge part here. I have thought about setting up my own content-oriented site, however it is not as straightforward as it looks because you have to spend money (pay for good quality content) to make money (generate revenue from advertising or other methods). You also need a LOT of website visitors to make anything of note via a content website. The content has to be well-written and not just a couple of slapdash paragraphs.

I know of a site with more than one MILLION unique monthly visitors (yes, a million *uniques*), and I know that one of the founders is only making a small / modest amount from sponsorship on the site. And that site if four years old! Now granted he is only one of the founders and who knows what they are making overall, but it is not going to be massive money.

Not saying this to discourage you of course, it's just that you will have to be realistic. A high-quality writer might charge a couple of hundred euro for just one article. How many articles will you require per week, per month, to gain traction and build traffic?

Then you also need to factor in the cost of your time on the project, time required to be active on social media, promoting the content and the site, and whatnot.

Kevboom wrote: »
    To be honest I don't have a massive budget and the aim is to start small then grow it rather than throwing thousands of euro at a site which ends up a flop.

When I see statements like that, here's what I hear:

I don't have enough confidence in my idea/product to risk my own money on it, would you like to contribute your time for free instead. If your contributions make money, I might share some of it with you.

Slightly O/T but how would that come across in any other industry:

Dear Mr Chef, I have a great idea for a hot-food delivery business. Would you partner with me and prepare/cook the food in your kitchen. I won't be able to pay you for preparing or cooking the food but if the business makes any money I should be able to pay you an undefined share of the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Graham wrote: »
    When I see statements like that, here's what I hear:

I don't have enough confidence in my idea/product to risk my own money on it, would you like to contribute your time for free instead. If your contributions make money, I might share some of it with you.

Slightly O/T but how would that come across in any other industry:

Dear Mr Chef, I have a great idea for a hot-food delivery business. Would you partner with me and prepare/cook the food in your kitchen. I won't be able to pay you for preparing or cooking the food but if the business makes any money I should be able to pay you an undefined share of the profits.

Agree completely with this.

As you're unable to make any concrete promises in terms of income, you need'll to compensate for that by being able to offer a specific share of the business if they get on board with you now. A wishy-washy notion of paying people sometime in the future if/when it makes money won't cut it, at least not with anyone that can bring value to the project.

You need people to buy into the both the idea, but also the other partners in the business - how much they get and what they do, so be prepared to answer questions about what you'll be bringing to the table on an ongoing basis for the cut you'll receive.

• Advertisement

Exactly, the success of the site would rest on getting quality people on board, but they won't come on board without the right compensation. So if you aren't in a position to pay them what's required, you'll either have to give them a reduced rate + equity, or the full rate. The former would require some sort of concrete agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Is the website built yet?

ideaburst wrote: »
    Exactly, the success of the site would rest on getting quality people on board, but they won't come on board without the right compensation. So if you aren't in a position to pay them what's required, you'll either have to give them a reduced rate + equity, or the full rate. The former would require some sort of concrete agreement.

The problem with that is the value of the equity. When you have nothing but an idea, the value of the equity can easily be expressed in a nice round number.

(unless your surname happens to be Bezos or Dorsey)

The problem with that is the value of the equity. When you have nothing but an idea, the value of the equity can easily be expressed in a nice round number.

(unless your surname happens to be Bezos or Dorsey)

Or Williams :)

ideaburst wrote: »
    Or Williams :)

Ohhh Williams, in that case double the value I previously assigned :pac:

• Advertisement

Ohhh Williams, in that case double the value I previously assigned :pac:

He was the savvy one ;)

Advertisement