Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn php tutor needed

Options
  • 10-10-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I am studying php my SQL and I am struggling. I am wondering is there anyone I could consult with. I am using code academy and 3 schools but a human touch would be nice aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

raher1 wrote: »
    I am studying php my SQL and I am struggling. I am wondering is there anyone I could consult with. I am using code academy and 3 schools but a human touch would be nice aswell.

Sure how much are you offering :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Sure how much are you offering :pac:

What's the going rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

What's the going rate?

€20 per hour

NUIG Grinds register

I think that's undergrad rates. If the tutor is really good or have an MSc they often charge more. One guy on there is charging €40 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

where are you studying?

I was in lit,doing post grad,first time doing programming.

• Advertisement

€20 per hour

NUIG Grinds register

I think that's undergrad rates. If the tutor is really good or have an MSc they often charge more. One guy on there is charging €40 per hour.
    I can do 20 euro per hour.

You tried youtube? Likely you will get some good tutorial videos.

You tried youtube? Likely you will get some good tutorial videos.

^This. There are plenty of resources online. I had to do PHP for my MetaSearch engine (Software Development Project) during the summer. I'm currently doing a MSc in Computer Science (Skills Conversion) at UCD and have been introduced to C, C++, SQL, and I'm currently doing Android Development and Ruby.

We did a little bit of PL/SQL and MySQL in our SQL module. That was my best result so far. I came from a Fine Art background, so all of this is quite different to my previous field. =P

But how do you find SQL? Are you doing any other languages?

Red bairn, I found it difficult cause I was unemployed for a bit,motivation was hard to find at first and secondly, I still find it hard to make the leap from understanding it to actually doing,if you know what I mean. We did JavaScript and jquery,but that's same. I need to calm down a bit more and let information better.

Red bairn, I found it difficult cause I was unemployed for a bit,motivation was hard to find at first and secondly, I still find it hard to make the leap from understanding it to actually doing,if you know what I mean. We did JavaScript and jquery,but that's same. I need to calm down a bit more and let information better.

What did you work as? You still didn't answer my first question. Where are you studying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

They are using PHP in university? :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AaronDig

Lynda.com does great tutorials and I was told they are freely available on the internet.

red_bairn wrote: »
    What did you work as? You still didn't answer my first question. Where are you studying?
    I studied audio visual and largely worked in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Talisman

What exactly are you struggling with?

Talisman wrote: »
    What exactly are you struggling with?

The language. I am used to different meaning. I can't link it together sometimes or when I do I seem to be just copying it.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Study in lit. I was unemployed before I did the course.

Where did all the posts go?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Where did all the posts go?
    Spam and shilling gets deleted. So do posts that reply to the shill quoting the post, because otherwise, we'd drown in adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

What exactly are you having difficulty with ? Talking to mysql ? I found mysqli easier to understand than PDO , obviously your then limited to mysql.

Gaz wrote: »
    What exactly are you having difficulty with ? Talking to mysql ? I found mysqli easier to understand than PDO , obviously your then limited to mysql.

It's making the code work. If it doesn't work,I am finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Talisman

Could you give an example of what you are having difficulty with? Post some code / explain what you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Someone mentioned online tutorials earlier, I found this guy very good. His YouTube channel is named thenewboston, he has tons of videos on loads of different languages, even Maths and Science too.

Recently I used this, supplemented by code academy and w3schools, to learn XHTML and CSS. Going to continue with Javascript or PHP next.

It's making the code work. If it doesn't work,I am finished.

Would you like us to supply working code?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Would you like us to supply working code?
    I will put up some code later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

[The difficulty is] making the code work. If it doesn't work,I am finished.

What are you writing the code in? Are you using something that highlights errors in your php?

I'm no heavyweight when it comes to php, but I use Aptana for writing it. It's an example of a program which has error highlighting. So if you make a mistake on a line, the programme highlights it for you.

This usually means a red x at the start of the line, and an undelrine under the offending character or characters.

This will stop you pulling your hair out over silly mistakes 80% of the time.

I've seen awful pain inflicted on people writing code. My girlfriend was being taught Java, and had to write it using Nano, in a post-grad course. That's cruel and unusual punishment, if you ask me.

That's cruel and unusual punishment, if you ask me.

Its hardcore, but there is some value in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Its hardcore, but there is some value in it.

Certainly.

What are you writing the code in? Are you using something that highlights errors in your php?

I'm no heavyweight when it comes to php, but I use Aptana for writing it. It's an example of a program which has error highlighting. So if you make a mistake on a line, the programme highlights it for you.

This usually means a red x at the start of the line, and an undelrine under the offending character or characters.

I've seen awful pain inflicted on people writing code. My girlfriend was being taught Java, and had to write it using Nano, in a post-grad course. That's cruel and unusual punishment, if you ask me.
    That's a great help. I had two hours to write out a semester of code and theory. No hope!

I will put up some code later on today.

Post code tomorrow, it may include html and css.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the Aptana link! Need to do some PHP for first time in years so I'm going to try it!

Advertisement