Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturing

Options
  • 10-10-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Currently on an MA (music), have years of teaching experience in private college and extensive professional experience. What are my chances of getting a lecturing position when I complete my MA ? In the Uni. I'm attending all the full-time lecturers seem to have doctorates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

crunchy62 wrote: »
    I'm attending all the full-time lecturers seem to have doctorates!
    That's because they're probably employed primarily as researchers - lecturing represents a relatively small part of their jobs. Getting a job solely as a lecturer in a university can be difficult, because the faculty will generally turn to the junior research staff (PhD students, post-docs, etc.) to plug staffing gaps, rather than advertise externally.

It's not impossible though - best thing is probably to ask someone in your university!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Currently on an MA (music), have years of teaching experience in private college and extensive professional experience. What are my chances of getting a lecturing position when I complete my MA ? In the Uni. I'm attending all the full-time lecturers seem to have doctorates!

If you want to make a career out of it usually a doctorate is the expectation if not an absolutely essential requirement in most fields. Music is a unique subject so it maybe somewhat different. In most subject even with the doctorate the chances of a job are extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I'm in a similar position but in the Film and Television industry. I have over twenty years experience and an MA, but cannot get seen for a lecturing position. A PHD and background in research and academic publications seems to be the thing. So in my case it seems you can teach screenwriting without ever having written a script. A crazy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Fatboydim wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position but in the Film and Television industry. I have over twenty years experience and an MA, but cannot get seen for a lecturing position. A PHD and background in research and academic publications seems to be the thing. So in my case it seems you can teach screenwriting without ever having written a script. A crazy situation.

Have a look at Institutes of Technology or private colleges. You don't need a PhD to lecture in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Fatboydim wrote: »
    I would agree with Tom Dunne's suggestion too - you'll find a lot of sympathy for your situation in ITs that you won't in Unis. There are plenty of academics who will agree that teaching something you have no practical experience of is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have a look at Institutes of Technology or private colleges. You don't need a PhD to lecture in either.

This is true, but one needs the disclaimer that in some like in WIT there is move for more staff with PhDs. How this effects new hires I do not know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

If you want to lecture, contact the head of the relevant dept and ask if there are adjunct positions going. But beware - there are many adjuncts with lots of industry experience and PhDs.

Advertisement