Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do refs get paid?

• 10-10-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the payscale for referees per match? Like at different levels do they get paid more or does it go on years of service? Anyone know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know the payscale for referees per match? Like at different levels do they get paid more or does it go on years of service? Anyone know.

They get reimbursed for their travel and subsistence costs, based on civil service rates and other expenses. The GAA is an amateur organisation and therefore refs, managers or any one else don't get paid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I spoke to the wife of a ref a few years back. She told me they get expenses to cover travel costs (which they only get after producing receipts, etc.), and that they got an additional €100 to spend on a meal for the umpires/linesmen. He was pretty pissed off because as far as I know the GAA were supposed to have been about to reduce that allowance to just €50 (to feed 8 men), a change which I gather they implemented.

I can't stand over that as fact but I don't believe she had any particular reason to lie to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Do you have to be an acquaintance of a referee to be an umpire? Don't actually know any. I'd feckin love to be an umpire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

iDave wrote: »
    Do you have to be an acquaintance of a referee to be an umpire? Don't actually know any. I'd feckin love to be an umpire.

You have to be in possession of your own White Coat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

iDave wrote: »

Yeah, you'd need to know a referee and be trusted by the referee. I do the line or umpire for a referee at home, know him for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Ref gets €35 for an underage match (plus lots of free advice from the parents watching).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Being an umpire isn't all it's cracked up to be. Believe me. I umpire for the local club (when the pitch is used as a neutral venue and if the ref doesn't bring his own umpires, which usually happens).

Usually it doesn't matter in a game, but if the game is on a knife edge... one contentious decision and you could find yourself surrounded by mouthy fúckers, some screaming for a wide, others insisting you flag a point.

Add in the joys of it in the dead of winter in the pissings of rain with wind howling at you. You're fantasising about your lovely couch... but a big fúckload of freezing rain snaps you out of your reverie. That, or a soaked ball smashing into your head at 100mph.

:o

Advertisement